Richards

Lawyer-Max security pennitentiary is death sentence

http://www.torontosun.com/News/Canada/2007/12/18/4730158.html

Lawyer for serial pedophile and dangerous offender wants his client to be spared prison because he claims he will be mistreated by other cons.

I realize that his position on the pecking order will be precariously low but what are the alternatives? He has already shown that he is too dangerous for minimum security. If they really are concerned about this guy then they could put him in segregation.

Given what he did repeatedly and once while apparently under supervision/custody it is not fair to citizens to put him anywhere else but max security. This guy is just going to have to take his chances as I see it. He made his own bed.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I don’t know when or why the victimizer’s rights became more important the law-abiding citizens, but I think it’s bull shit. Throw his ass in jail and if the Aryan brotherhood is good for only one thing hopefully they will kill the fucker.

He has been convicted of one the most disgusting crimes one can commit. Fuck his rights.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

I don’t know when or why the victimizer’s rights became more important the law-abiding citizens, but I think it’s bull shit. Throw his ass in jail and if the Aryan brotherhood is good for only one thing hopefully they will kill the fucker.

He has been convicted of one the most disgusting crimes one can commit. Fuck his rights.

I agree with you but our society will never accept that in reality. I do feel that this threat is overplayed. Yes these guys are targets but having known a few people who work in the pen system the segregation wing (informants, sex offenders and other undesireables) is reasonably secure. It can happen and from time to time it does happen where a perv/rat gets done but contrary to popular misconception this is the exception not the norm. It seems an acceptable risk. The only downside for this guy is that being in protective custody means no yard time or recreational activities. What his lawyer is really doing is playing up a minor threat so his client can go somewhere low security and be able to enjoy his incarceration.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I'm a bit confused as to why he isn't going back to the criminally insane house. It seems from his earlier "not criminally responsible" verdict that he should stay there, but have a "no excursions ever" tag on his chart.
It looks like he had a really bad lawyer to plead guilty when he clearly had a good shot at another insane defense.

Tsk Tsk tsk..... Darius.. how could you support the death penalty for something that does not come from a judicial VERDICT of death. That is not the American way my friend..

Personally... I am very conflicted as the survivor of abuse...but at this point I think they need to be protected from the other prisoners.... put all the sex offenders in a segregation unit and let them bugger each other.. for the rest of their lives.... no contact with the outside world... make them true paraihas since they cant live as normal human beings.

I'm a bit confused as to why he isn't going back to the criminally insane house. It seems from his earlier "not criminally responsible" verdict that he should stay there, but have a "no excursions ever" tag on his chart.
It looks like he had a really bad lawyer to plead guilty when he clearly had a good shot at another insane defense.

I guess it is more an issue of public safety. Does a psych ward really provide the security of a max pen? Secondly is the guy truly insane (completely incapable of telling right from wrong, blackouts, mass delusions....etc) or does he merely have personality disorders that can be dealt with by a prison shrink. I can see hospitalization if the guy is truly at the mental level of a three year old and has no clue. Otherwise he simply has disorders yet is mentally capable of plotting to decieve and offend again. He really belongs behind bars.

I guess it is more an issue of public safety. Does a psych ward really provide the security of a max pen? Secondly is the guy truly insane (completely incapable of telling right from wrong, blackouts, mass delusions....etc) or does he merely have personality disorders that can be dealt with by a prison shrink. I can see hospitalization if the guy is truly at the mental level of a three year old and has no clue. Otherwise he simply has disorders yet is mentally capable of plotting to decieve and offend again. He really belongs behind bars.

I really don't know the answers. Personally I have never heard of a Hannibal Lector type of criminally insane escape. I have heard of escapes from Max; Allen Legere in New Brunswick about ten years ago comes to mind. As to where the line between criminal and criminally insane lies, it truly is something I feel is technical enough that my opinion as a voter and taxpayer is irrelevant. I am happy to leave it up to the medical and judicial communities to work out between them.

how could you support the death penalty for something that does not come from a judicial VERDICT of death.

it's a good example of where the death penalty is appropriate - this way it's conducted as a practical, non-emotional, execution of someone who is a serious threat to the innocent.

Rather than indirectly validating vigilantism of any kind.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Believe me.... I would be happy to visit some very personal vigilantism on my abusers...

BUT... as a civilized human.. I want them put in such a place where they can never abuse another innocent... and that does not include being killed by some muderous thug in prison with nothing to lose....

Some crimes just warrent being in solitary confinement for the rest of their unnatural lives.>:(>:(>:(

I want them to suffer the loss of their humanity.. since they are incapable of living with other humans.

Why do you believe you are a civilized human? Why do you believe the death penalty is barbaric in and of itself? I ask because I consider myself a civilized human who does not believe the death penalty is barbaric in and of itself.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

DP is state sponsored MURDER.... and REVENGE MURDER at that... and I dont want my state ( which then includes me in with the people who revel in it)doing things that go against that which is not right.

Why do you believe you are a civilized human? Why do you believe the death penalty is barbaric in and of itself? I ask because I consider myself a civilized human who does not believe the death penalty is barbaric in and of itself.

So what "civilization" are you trying to revel in.....will N. Korea do..... How about FUndamentalist states like Iran...or numerous other islamist radical states.. .. I am sure all of them also feel they are civilized... but... that isw the company you want our country to be in and emulate:S:S:S

Believe me.... I would be happy to visit some very personal vigilantism on my abusers...

BUT... as a civilized human.. I want them put in such a place where they can never abuse another innocent... and that does not include being killed by some muderous thug in prison with nothing to lose....

Some crimes just warrent being in solitary confinement for the rest of their unnatural lives.>:(>:(>:(

I want them to suffer the loss of their humanity.. since they are incapable of living with other humans.

Perfectly reasonable. Again the risk this guy apparently faces is ridiculously overplayed. It is being milked so he can go somewhere and be allowed recreation and enjoyment. He does deserve to be cut off from humanity in a cell for the rest of his natural life.

it's a good example of where the death penalty is appropriate - this way it's conducted as a practical, non-emotional, execution of someone who is a serious threat to the innocent.

Rather than indirectly validating vigilantism of any kind.

The guy is not going to be killed in there. He will simply be in solitary.

DP is state sponsored MURDER.... and REVENGE MURDER at that...

I want them to suffer the loss of their humanity.. since they are incapable of living with other humans

I can see why your perspective gives you that outlook. In an application of the DP for the sake of society, it absolutely must NOT have a revenge aspect to it. Some people are just unwilling to look at it in that light.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The guy is not going to be killed in there. He will simply be in solitary.

I have no issue with that. I just want to see reasonable discussions of the DP and how they should be viewed rather than the emotive/escalatory strawman arguments people bring out. (And, though the anti-DP people can't seem to get away from tangential arguments, I also believe there are those that are Pro-DP for the wrong reasons also......)

DP is state sponsored MURDER.... and REVENGE MURDER at that... and I dont want my state ( which then includes me in with the people who revel in it)doing things that go against that which is not right.

The death penalty is state sponsored execution not murder. If the death penalty is used for revenge then it is barbaric. However, if the death penalty is used for other reasons it can be civilized.

So what "civilization" are you trying to revel in.....will N. Korea do..... How about FUndamentalist states like Iran...or numerous other islamist radical states.. .. I am sure all of them also feel they are civilized... but... that isw the company you want our country to be in and emulate:S:S:S

There you go again making broad generalizations ... Do you believe that North Korea, Iran, etc... have only negative attributes? If you don't, then why do you believe that sharing some attributes with North Korea, Iran, etc.. can only be negative. If you do, :S.

I just want to see reasonable discussions of the DP and how they should be viewed rather than the emotive/escalatory strawman arguments people bring out.

In Speakers Corner?

(And, though the anti-DP people can't seem to get away from tangential arguments, I also believe there are those that are Pro-DP for the wrong reasons also......)

I think you know what my gut response is to animals like this but I have had reservations about DP as of late. Mostly because of the risk of killing a wrongfully convicted person.

Anyway, this thread seems to have gone of on a tangent towards DP. My primary reason for wanting to have this guy go to max sesurity is not due to a visceral bloodlust or desire to see vigilante action (not that I feel a thread of compassion towards the guy). I just want him put away for good.

His lawyer is playing up a minimal risk to get his guy a cushy incarceration somewhere. In the same way that some lawyers pull the old "my client will face persecution if deported" every time we try to deport a terrorist or major criminal, I do not want to see lawyers getting violent pedophiles put into minimum security or other cushy accomodations because lawyers start playing the "my client will be at risk" card. We have put all kinds of violent sex offenders and child murderers behind bars (clifford olsen, paul bernardo, peter whitmore...etc) and they have gotten by unscathed.

I just want to see reasonable discussions of the DP and how they should be viewed rather than the emotive/escalatory strawman arguments people bring out.

In Speakers Corner?

:D:D:D:D

{{reality hits me - much like an iceball thrown at my ear. I'd help people a lot more by just supporting Kallend's effort to explain the idiocy behind the 45 degree exit myth - or even the futile head beating of the best way to structure exit order with people that don't understand math or physics}}

So you believe in torture but not execution ... very civilized. :S

She is not advocating whipping or pulling toenails out. She points out that the punishment aspect of prison should include the loss of humanity and personal interaction. If a person commits a savage crime against an innocent person, we cannot kill him nor can we torture him. It seems right however to deny him teh pleasures of interacting with humanity be it via direct interaction or media (written or televised). He should be removed from society in every way possible short of actually killing him.

He should be removed from society......

whatever way does it without doubt is fine with me. nothing personal, I just want to protect 5.99 billion others from him

Death by Bunga Bunga.

Doesn't happen to pedophiles because they go into isolation. Small defenceless guys who are in for drug offences however...........................................

So you believe in torture but not execution ... very civilized. :S

She is not advocating whipping or pulling toenails out. She points out that the punishment aspect of prison should include the loss of humanity and personal interaction. If a person commits a savage crime against an innocent person, we cannot kill him nor can we torture him. It seems right however to deny him teh pleasures of interacting with humanity be it via direct interaction or media (written or televised). He should be removed from society in every way possible short of actually killing him.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree because I currently believe that dehumanizing an individual and completely removing all human interaction is a form of torture (and would be considered cruel and unusual punishment).

PS: I also currently believe it would be more civilized to execute the individual.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree because I currently believe that dehumanizing an individual and completely removing all human interaction is a form of torture (and would be considered cruel and unusual punishment).

Yes we will have to disagree. I consider it punishment.