ltdiver

Research: Skin Cells + Genetic Cocktail = Stem Cells

An exciting genetic study was published today from 2 different independent research teams. Dr. Shinya Yamanaka of Kyoto University, and Junying Yu of the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

While others were pushing for embryonic stem cell research to be funded and followed, these scientists took another path. One that does not include having to harvest embryos, but only your skin!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16470482

Looks like the ethical controversy may soon be over.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Looks like the ethical controversy may soon be over.

A NYT article on the same said that previous research on mice demonstrated that the stem cells could be converted into whole mice -- with 20% incidence of cancer in the offspring.

When can I get my clone?
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

I read the same article.

Someone reporting or being interviewed on NBC news (I was not looking at the TV at the time) stated something along the lines of "it is even possible to create an entire person with the new research. But, of course no-one will be doing that."

It wasn't meant to be a funny comment, which is why it was so hilarious.:D

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

When can I get my clone?

Do you -really- want another you running around?

Also, do you know that the rate of cell growth when trying to clone an entire 'someone' is very rapid. So, even if they are able to clone an entire being it'd be dead before the original would expire anyway...

Example: Dolly the sheep. She only lived 6 years.

ltdiver

Also, do you know that the rate of cell growth when trying to clone an entire 'someone' is very rapid. So, even if they are able to clone an entire being it'd be dead before the original would expire anyway...

Is the new technique for generating stem cells showing the telomerase length/activity issue (the early aging cause) that was observed with Dolly and other early clones?

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Is the new technique for generating stem cells showing the telomerase length/activity issue (the early aging cause) that was observed with Dolly and other early clones?

I'm sure they're working on it.