base283

Transportation Security Administration

What is up with this statement?
"Airlines often load bags on top of one another in the cargo hold of your flight," warns the Transportation Security Administration on its Web site. "Your baggage may be loaded with hundreds of other bags, with possibly several on top of yours. Hundreds of pounds of pressure in conjunction with high altitude and the resulting low temperatures" while the plane is in flight "create an ideal environment for damaged laptops," according to the site. "These conditions crack cases and damage screens among other things. For these reasons, we recommend that you keep your laptop in your carry-on bag when traveling."

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/screening/travel_tip_laptop.shtm

Have the airlines started flying with unpressurized cargo holds or what?,
Take care,
space

Sometimes there is a pressure differential.

On top of that, baggage handlers are more like baggage manhandlers, so luggage with computers will get thrown and stuffed into som corner and have the other luggage put on top or stuffed further.

It's saying, "Carry your computer, because baggage handlers will break it."

And, the luggage compartment can get cold, too, I'd reckon.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

They ship pets in the cargo hold if I am not mistaken.
Take care,
space

Yes, but you do pay extra for (theoretically) special handling for Fido or Fluffy. Either way, I wouldn't put a laptop or a lap kitty through baggage handling.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yep.. one of the cargo bins on the aircraft can be pressurized, and typically, they're not going to load fluffy under tons of bags either as long as they know he's there.. Still a dark and not very comfy ride, I feel bad for those pets.

But you should never ever ever pack your pets, laptop, jewlery, other valuables, and especially never pack car/house keys and medication in your checked luggage. Cause you know when you do... thats the time your bags will get mistagged, sent to the wrong airport, crushed, etc etc.

They ship pets in the cargo hold if I am not mistaken.
Take care,
space

Delta wouln't last ime I tried to fly an animal. Had to carry on. It was a small cat. (kitten)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.