kschilk

King tells Chavez to shut-up!

I guess that's less democratic than having your brother rig the election for you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you have proof of this, by all means, make it public.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are kidding right???????

How the election was rig'd in Florida is well documented.

What is well documented is after the election was certified, atleast 4 independent newspapers did their own recount in the 4 districts that Gore requested. In each case, Bush had more votes.

Hmm, the aristocratically imposed King of one country tells the democratically elected leader of another country off, and the supposedly democratic Americans applaud.

Probably a thread for Speaker's Corner. :S

The king is a constitutional monarch, who wields no actual power over his country. He is in fact the king, whose restoration helped pave the transition from the fascist Franco dictatorship to Spain's democracy. You would know that if you bothered to read a little history, but as you are all knowing, I won't trouble you with the facts.

Chavez's remarks were aimed at a former Prime Minister of Spain, who was democratically elected by the Spanish people, and who Chavez apparently finds not to his personal likeing because this former PM is a conservative. The king reminded Chavez that this ex-PM had been democratically elected and asked him to shut the fuck up.

Chavez apparently thinks he can go anywhere and insult his hosts in their own country. I think the king should have detailed a few of his security thugs to drag Chavez out into an alley and beat the living shit out of him,and then deported his rude ass.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

The mere fact that the societies of these countries hold these traditions so dear is political power for these "ceremonial" positions.

I think you overestimate their influence.

Do I? The Queen of England was hosted by the President during her last visit to the US. No big deal one might say, but what if he snubbed her off and chose not to. The people in England would be tossing their Harleys in the Thames for the snub.

France made a clean break and became a true republic.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the last ceremonial links between Royalty and Government in the UK well and truly severed, but I wouldn't say that old Liz really has any effect on the policies of the government.

Again, I'm not saying it's wrong, but to say they hold no influence is short sighted.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Again, I'm not saying it's wrong, but to say they hold no influence is short sighted.

I agree. Queen Elizabeth is very influential because she has devoted her life to being an informed adviser. She is exceptional in that regard.
King Juan Carlos is also influential although I don't think quite as much as QEII. The fact that they reinstated him after 60 or 70 years of fascist rule speaks volumes about the legitimacy of his influence.

No big deal one might say, but what if he snubbed her off and chose not to. The people in England would be tossing their Harleys in the Thames for the snub.

Pffft, yeah right! I'm sure the Daily Fascist Mail would make a fuss but again, you really overestimate how much the general public cares.

And remember again that you're talking about a ceremonial occasion - pure protocol, nothing to do with actual policy.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Actually Morales is not longer his very close ally. Same thing happened with Brazil's Lula Da Silva. He is getting half hearted internation support, becuase he can give away oil revenues, sparing Venezuelan Development. There are shortages of every type of food items over there right now, even though he is hardly trying to supress this story to the international media. He is in fact a defacto dictator now. Read up on the current upheaval over there.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon