dorbie

French idiots

Highlighting the benefits of a good education.

http://www.break.com/index/56-percent-of-french-people-are-stupid.html

Indeed quite shameful (and comical in a sad way).
Although I wonder if most other countries would fare better. I think we tend to over estimate the cultural level of the average human being.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Depends on your frame of reference:

If you insist on being geocentric, then the Sun is a correct answer too.

If you don't insist, then both the Earth and the Moon both rotate about their common center of mass, and about the Sun, and about the center of the Galaxy, and...

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If you don't insist, then both the Earth and the Moon both rotate about their common center of mass, and about the Sun, and about the center of the Galaxy, and...

Sad to hear such pedantic contrivances from a physics professor.

Let us remember that Galileo was almost burned at the stake over the Church's insistence on a geocentric model. His heliocentric model was certainly the more correct/accurate/simple/predictive and geocentrism has since been thoroughly discredited (if it wasn't upon his publication).

Yes the Earth & Moon rotate about their center of mass, which lies deep inside the Earth. This is why it rotates about the Earth and why it remains classified as our moon, as opposed to say Charon which is now classified as a dwarf planet.

You might as well claim a car rotates about each wheel as it drives down the road.

Sad to hear such pedantic contrivances from a physics professor.

Sad to hear such disregard for accuracy from anyone, even you. Astronomy is a quantitative science and this was an astronomy question.

Yes the Earth & Moon rotate about their center of mass, which lies deep inside the Earth.

The barycenter of the Earth Moon system is approx. 2,900km from the center of the Earth.

The rest of your post is irrelevant.

Next you'll be telling us that sea-bass is an endangered species.

Today, while killing time at the firehouse, I saw an episode of the American version of the show where a woman got booted on the SECOND question.

When asked what form of punctuation was used to start a list, she said a period.

:S

I thought it was funny at first, but was actually kinda sad. The whole audience and the hostess were just speechless.

Elvisio "no matter where you go" Rodriguez

There was nothing inaccurate about my post, the Earth has a radius of approximately 6378 km placing the center of rotation well within its volume.

Are you trying to forget or retract your pedantic geocentric nonsense or are you happy to side with the Catholics who called Galileo a Heretic? Perhaps you will deliver the joviancentric model next for completeness?

Tell me professor, do the wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round or is it the bus on the wheels that goes 'round?:D:S

Next you'll be telling us that the Federation of American Scientists doesn't know what an explosion is.

i'm trying to understand what u mean by this?

the geocentric model is obviously incorrect.
and although the translation used the word 'rotate' the actual word is 'what gravitates around the earth?' so regardless of perspective the answer is the moon.
"Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives."
A. Sachs

i'm trying to understand what u mean by this?

the geocentric model is obviously incorrect.
and although the translation used the word 'rotate' the actual word is 'what gravitates around the earth?' so regardless of perspective the answer is the moon.

He means if you stand stationary on the Earth and imagine it is transparent then you literally see the Sun rotate around you just as you see the Earth stand still. You also see the stars and the rest of the universe rotate around you.

Does the entire Universe rotate around the Earth?

[squeaky_voice] "If you insist on a geocentric model then yes it does." [/squeaky_voice]

Thankfully we don't have to pretend we're ancient Greeks when we look at the cellestial sphere.

Is the Earth flat?

[squeaky_voice] "Well if you insist on a geoplanar model yes it is." [/squeaky_voice]

It's pedantic pish posh.

It's pedantic pish posh.

Lots of people say that about physics. Doesn't make it true, though.

If the Moon rotates about the Earth, then so does the Sun. The Earth AND the Moon rotate about the barycenter. The barycenter is NOT the Earth, any more than you are the Earth.

It's easy, really, to be accurate. Why are you so defensive of an ill-posed game show question?

It's pedantic pish posh.

If the Moon rotates about the Earth, then so does the Sun. The Earth AND the Moon rotate about the barycenter. The barycenter is NOT the Earth, any more than you are the Earth.

It's easy, really, to be accurate. Why are you so defensive of an ill-posed game show question?

As I have already explained that the center of rotation lies well within the Earth. Something you falsely claimed was inaccurate.

I'm not defensive at all, you're the one who tried to be a smart ass with inane pedantry calling into question perfectly valid descriptions and summoning an obsolete model from the Dark Ages, astonishingly one that Galileo was convicted as a heretic for contradicting.

It's pedantic pish posh.

u didn't adress my response.
the original question was what gravitates around the earth which means what is being pulled by gravity around the earth. so although it might appear that the sun is orbiting around the earth it can be proven that it isn't being pulled around the earth by gravity so the answer cannot be the sun.
"Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives."
A. Sachs

It's pedantic pish posh.

u didn't adress my response.
the original question was what gravitates around the earth which means what is being pulled by gravity around the earth. so although it might appear that the sun is orbiting around the earth it can be proven that it isn't being pulled around the earth by gravity so the answer cannot be the sun.

Each body exerts equal force upon the other. One is just more massive and moves less.

When one body is much more massive than the other it moves so much less less that the locus around which they each orbit can lie within the more massive object. This is true for all moons and indeed Charon which used to be called a moon of Pluto has been reclassified. Charon is now referred to as a dwarf planet because the locus of their orbits lies outside the volume of Pluto between Pluto and Charon. Clearly even the IAU recognizes that moons should fit the definition of orbiting around their parent planet, not some point outside the volume of that planet.

P.S. You are correct though on the rather obvious difference.

The geocentric view of the Sun rotating around the Earth is caused by the spin of the Earth on it's axis. It is quite silly to validate that claim with an unrelated observation that the gravitational orbit of the Moon is about a locus that lies within a wobbling Earth.

A flawed view of the cosmos which Galileo almost died for correcting, is resurrected 400 years later in an attempt to look clever.

The Earth is rotating around Galileo's corpse at a high rate of RMP right now, can't you feel it?:P

Do a search on youtube and you'll find more American idiots that any other nation, here are a few that I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjOhHf7g9Mw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldXCzVL-QnU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-hj-6rZp-4

Some don't even get past the first question, now that is really dumb!!!!

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

It's pedantic pish posh.

As I have already explained that the center of rotation lies well within the Earth. Something you falsely claimed was inaccurate.

Rubbish. I brought up the barycenter, not you. You explained nothing at all.

I'm not defensive at all, .

Ha ha - just like with the Chilean Sea Bass.

It's a good job you wren't involved in the Apollo missions, or they'd have missed the Moon.

With an attitude like yours towards precision and accuracy it's no wonder you're a right winger.

Your smoke screen over your pedantic pish-posh is undermined by the posting record.

Even others like FallRate spotted the flaw in your lame response to my observation that the locus of orbit still lies deep within the Earth, implying I said something I didn't, so why repeat the misrepresentation with a silly Apollo comment?

I have known long before this thread how bodies orbit just as I have known that the Moon orbits around the Earth. Search this forum for "the gravitational force exerted on the Earth by you is the same as the gravitational force exerted on you by the Earth " and you'll find one post by me.

As I said the Earth is now spinning around Galileo from a Galeocentric reference.

As for the rest, at least try some new ad hominem, the fish ref was sad even the first time.

Your smoke screen over your pedantic pish-posh is undermined by the posting record.

Even others like FallRate spotted the flaw in your lame response to my observation that the locus of orbit still lies deep within the Earth, implying I said something I didn't, so why repeat the misrepresentation with a silly Apollo comment?

I have known long before this thread how bodies orbit just as I have known that the Moon orbits around the Earth. Search this forum for "the gravitational force exerted on the Earth by you is the same as the gravitational force exerted on you by the Earth " and you'll find one post by me.

As I said the Earth is now spinning around Galileo from a Galeocentric reference.

As for the rest, at least try some new ad hominem, the fish ref was sad even the first time.

Try looking up "frames of reference". Galileo, whom you seem to hero worship, supported a heliocentric system in which the Earth and Moon are both in orbit around the Sun. Newton quantified this. We now know that on astronomical scales Galilean relativity and Newtonian Dynamics are incorrect.

Einstein showed us that ANY inertial frame of reference was as good as any other, and ANY frame of reference can consider itself the center of the universe. Even the French dude in the article. The microwave background is remarkably isotropic on Earth (geocentrism is alive and well, thanks to Penzias and Wilson).

Relative to the background of distant stars, astronauts on the Moon would see the Earth and Sun rotating around the Moon.

While I agree that the French are idiots, this particular question was a meaningless one and proves nothing. And neither have you.

BG radiation is probably isotropic at all locations, only very significant velocity deviations imparted after the expansion phase skew it for obvious reasons, i.e. a non sequitur. In workable frames of reference it does not spin around every 24 hours (which would actually rotate the 4D hypersphere (5D if you count receding over time) of the visible BG surface everywhere about the Earth's location.:D

I'm not the one who invoked pre Galilean cosmology to pretend a perfectly legitimate question was meaningless. I don't worship the man I'm just pointing out that it was his seminal and extremely famous contribution you undermined in your first post.

It would be a foolish astronomer who burdened his calculations with the rotation of everything around a point each 24 hours, and that specifically is what Galileo eliminated for the first time. You take claims about what Einstein formulated too far, his frames of reference referred to the constancy of the speed of light regardless of relative velocity then later to the curvature of space-time by gravity to the equivalent effect. He would object to your claim that a model where light everywhere in the universe swings around the Earth in great arcs each 24 hours is just as valid as a less geocentric frame of reference, especially when describing orbits. Ockham's Razor should be put to good use here.

I had invited the Jovian-centric view for completeness, however rather appropriately you offered the lunatic one, :D. Saying absolutely nothing.

The question was not meaningless as evidenced by the pedantic sophistry you have to employ to back such a silly assertion.