Black guy wins F1 race. Fuck Yes!

I don't watch F1 that often, but a British guy named Lewis Hamilton won the Montreal GP Sunday. He's a black guy. Way cool!

It's admirable that you pointed out his ethnic minority to the sport, but people need to realize that blacks aren't minorities like they were in the past.

I guess instead of Speed Racer, we can call him Afro Racer:P...... No?.... not funny:S? I'm going to take bullets for that one.:|

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

Man, if a black guy can win an F1 race what's next, An American?

only if you make the course an oval, it's a fact yanks can't drive round corners

Ah but you are wrong... Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart have won a good number of road races on the Nascar schedule.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

i dont think its that cool, or another way to put it......why does it matter that a black guy won, same thing as if any person won.

Just stick with the racist thread title and sentiment and roll with it. Be a nice PC tool. If you compliment one's skills you are a nutjob supremist nazi that hates the disadvantaged and makes them feel bad. But, if you comment on one's cosmetic differences, that makes you 'enlightened'.

neat

Congrats to this guy for winning over serious competition in this 'not really a sport but a popular public event type' thing. Being the best at something is great, even for one event. Maybe, GASP, he'll be a role model for kids someday because he's GOOD.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Another RARE icon for young children of minorities to look up to with a possible sense of ambition.

I love 4-way. If I want to look up to Lise Aune, Eliana, Steve Hamilton, and Dan BC as role models in this sport - by you definition, I could only look up to BC. I mean, really, I'm not female or British.

Why should kids not look up to someone based on their abilities rather than just cosmetic crap? Why teach those kids that attitude at all?

When the only success you see in life looks completely different to you

Oh, you already made the point. It's not what you look like, it's what you DO that matters. We shouldn't teach our kids the other point and perpetuate it any further.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Intresting you should mention this. Just the other day I was sittin in my tent with my buddy. We were looking through some old parachutist mags. He pointed out that their didn't seem to be any black skydivers. It then occured to me that over the years I think I have only seen one black guy skydiving. I wonder why this is.

What an interesting point - it's something I've noticed too, likewise in regards to Dorbies point; not many black people seem to involve themselves in adventure sports do they?

Ok - I met plenty of black scuba divers - but only in Kenya. And they were local instructors. Can't think of any black people I've met climbing. Or in lots of other adventurous sports I've been involved in either.

Odd.

I mentioned this to the long haired General a while back (the Mrs), and she reckons it's because they don't feel the need to demonstrate and 'prove' their manliness as white men do, simply through being physically superior to us in a specific area!;)

edit: Lewis Hamilton's performance has so far been beyond exceptional - fantastic!

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

I know I shouldn't be, but I am blown away that this topic immediately became so contentious. The original post was completely uncontroversial. What's the hell is so fucking offensive about being pleased that a black guy won something for the first time? If America finally elects either (1) their first black president or (2) their first woman president in the next election, will it then be offensive to say "Yeah, finally we got ourselves a [black or female] president?

I'm willing to bet that when Eminem first came on the scene a sizable number of white folk thought to themselves, "Holy shit, a white rapper...and he's....pretty good!" Same. Damn. Thing.

There were 2 black guys on the 100 ways.

Mark Klingelhoefer

TWO!! Out of a HUNDRED! Holy fuck, that's amazing! ;):|:P

Sorry man - there are other posters in this thread I'd rather jump all over, but that shit was just too irresistable. Don't hate me. :)

Which would you rather see as a role model for brown kids, A or B?

Depends on what the kid is interested in excelling at Because, of course, some stranger is only useful as a 'role model' for the sport (in this case, lame activity) that they demonstrate success at - but not a role model for being a person in general - that's just dumb.

So -
"A" if the kid is interested in driving
"B" if the kid is interested in big clocks on chains on his neck
"C" - a picture of his father being a decent man and loving his family and having a good job: (For those that think kids need a role model for being a good person).

Other answer:
Doesn't the question itself imply a strong racial bias?

Isn't "A" good enough to also be a role model for -any- kid that thinks driving is something to excel in?

Same question, why can't a young black girl, interested in skydiving and swooping, have Shannon Piltcher (a white male) as her skydiving role model?

What is wrong with that - that's not rooted in a crappy set of values in her upbringing that emphasizes form over content and character?

Without being racist, I can say the bloke in picture B is a complete and utter nob jockey of the highest order, I believe if I was to meet the chap I'd struggle not to smash his clock through his face.:)
Who on earth finds these people cool????

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

There were 2 black guys on the 100 ways.

Mark Klingelhoefer

TWO!! Out of a HUNDRED! Holy fuck, that's amazing! ;):|:P

The New Jersey 100 way state record in 1997 had two black skydivers. One of them was my wingman, the other just a couple slots further over.

Sorry man - there are other posters in this thread I'd rather jump all over, but that shit was just too irresistable. Don't hate me. :)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Another RARE icon for young children of minorities to look up to with a possible sense of ambition.

I love 4-way. If I want to look up to Lise Aune, Eliana, Steve Hamilton, and Dan BC as role models in this sport - by you definition, I could only look up to BC. I mean, really, I'm not female or British.

Why should kids not look up to someone based on their abilities rather than just cosmetic crap? Why teach those kids that attitude at all?

When the only success you see in life looks completely different to you

Oh, you already made the point. It's not what you look like, it's what you DO that matters. We shouldn't teach our kids the other point and perpetuate it any further.

I was going to make comment onthe realities of peer and ethic role models but fuck it, it would be like talking to a wall, so fill your boots with what ever bollocks you like:S
I knew there was a reason i didint come into SC
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I was going to make comment onthe realities of peer and ethic role models but fuck it, it would be like talking to a wall, so fill your boots with what ever bollocks you like:S

"realities" of peer and ethnic role models
role models are subjective - we choose what our 'realities' are in this instance and our kids learn from that example. Accepting some arbitrary status quo doesn't make positive change - rather, it perpetuates bias and disregard of substantial examples.

It shouldn't be personal, it's just a discussion. If it's personal, then we're probably hitting on some good points that you don't like about "reality" of how you emphasize cosmetic traits over character.

"ethnic" role models - now that's a bootload of bollocks

Nascar, Hockey, F1, GT, BMX, Skateboarding, Snowboarding, Golf, Rock Climbing, Swimming..
they cost mad money to start, or to maintain
vs..
Basketball, Football, Soccer, Baseball
not so much money to start with..

in the end it is all about the money..
Bernie Sanders for President 2016