Zipp0

Video Taping Police a Felony?

Boy, if the people here who seem so sure of themselves were defense lawyers, there would be a 100% conviction rate. I hate to break it to you, boys and girls, but lots of time watching Cops and Law & Order does not qualify you to know you asshole from your elbow in legal matters.

First, this is not a "goose-gander" situation, it is not an abuse of power, and it is not to prevent a video record form being recorded.

On the street there is no expectation of privacy. I know there is lots of case law supporting that, and I'm not even a lawyer.

It's a good thing you're not a lawyer because you don't know squat.
(about the law regarding electronic surveillance/recording)

This traffic stop was conducted in a public area. That means anyone can take pictures or record video of the stop. However, that does not mean anyone can go out and make a sound recording of you just because you are in public. Just as the police can take video of your actions when you are in public but cannot record you for sound or use sound gathering technology, the same rule applies to people.

If your conclusion that because someone is in public they can be recorded for sound as well as video, then the police could go around recording everything you say. That is not the case, and I don't think you want it to be. Instead you made an emotional leap to your inaccurate conclusion.

***If it was done outside, in a very public area there has been no crime committed.

This could have been recorded by ANYONE in that area

True . If you are in a public place. This kinda shit REALLY PISSES ME OFF.

NOT true. Try not to get pissed off about things that don't even exist. It's not good for your heart or blood pressure. DO try to educate yourself beyond television. It's good for your intelligence and understanding.

We noticed a trend on the show cops. After the perp is thrown to the ground, knee dropped in the back, The cops start yelling "STOP RESISTING" STOP RESISTING"

THey do this because if the person does stop resisting, the force being used against them will also stop. If they continue to resist, the force required to overcome the resistance will continue to be used against them.

We realise the cops have to deal with all kind of folks, but when/if we get stopped I expect to be put down, knee dropped, and worst case get charged with resisting after we get out of the hosp.

Well, you're in for a pleasant surprise the next time you are stopped, unless you plan on doing something that warrants an arrest and resist the arrest.

For one I don't even watch tv. I do study the law a bit tho. I've won a few cases defending myself. (the law library in jail is a wonderful place) OK. How is it the cops can record your audio in the back of a cop car? Legal? Any third parties around you have no expectation of privacy. Pigs do what they want w/ impunity. Welcome to the new Nazi America.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Hi AK

Only some cops are pigs, the rest are OK. Of course you'll know a pig when you have to deal with one.

Some of the pigss are into a power and control thing. Which is why some of the Peeps "on the job" have a higher rate of spousal abuse/domestic violence than John Q public.

Stop resisting!!!!!!! Thump, Thump, Stop resisting!!!!!"I'n not resisting" Thump, thump, Stop resisting.

Your honor We heard the officers continually ask the defendent to stop resisting. No sir we couldn't actually see the defendent resist the officers because he was covered with them like fleas.

But we heard the officers commands clearly.:) STOP RESISTING!!!!!

Must be the police trying to stop all the people catching them on tape doing things they should not be doing...>:(

That is exactly what it is..........Did you hear about the main cop who beat the shit out of that retired teacher in New Oleans? He shot himself in the head last week! And just a few weeks before his own trial! [:/]

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

Must be the police trying to stop all the people catching them on tape doing things they should not be doing...>:(

That is exactly what it is..........Did you hear about the main cop who beat the shit out of that retired teacher in New Oleans? He shot himself in the head last week! And just a few weeks before his own trial! [:/]

Wasn't there a FBI agent and a mounted patrol officer also involved in helping this law enforcement officer in the alleged incident.:)

Anyone else being persecuted over the alleged incident:)

So what if the teacher was retired he was........black.
Me thinks the dead cop was murdered by the retired teacher. If the perp was still in jail the cop might still be alive.

STOP RESISTING

Give your name or go to jail. (Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial Court in june 2004)

A nation that expects to be ignorant and free, in a statev of civilization, expects what never was and never will be.
Thomas Jefferson

anyone who would trade essential liberty for a little temporary security, deserves neither and shall lose both.
Ben Franklin

Question authority
Ben Franklin

What more needs to be said?
we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively

wishers never choose, choosers never wish

If the police can record the traffic stop then what is the problem with someone else doing the same thing? Goose- gander situation.

Not quite the same. You can record a conversation if one of the parties agrees with it. Police officer are one of the parties when they record their interactions with people they stop. I can only assume this guy didnt get approval from either parties.

so then as i understand from your statement
if he was filming the traffic stop that was between his "friend" and the "officer" since in the statement he said he started filming after the officer starting yelling at his friend,, then he would just need to get permission from either party?? ugh,, case solved,, my friend gave me permission to film me,
am i missing something here??