Kennedy

Politician Goes From Anti-Gun to Pro-Right-To-Carry

"A Conservative Is A Liberal Who Has Been Mugged"

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/article3740.html
http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/phillip_morris/index.ssf?/base/opinion/1179218274175560.xml&coll=2

State Rep. Michael DeBose, a southside Cleveland Democrat has proven this statement true.

To make a long story short, this anti-gun politician had a bad night involving some very bad people, and has since come to see the light. Because he's seen the light (and luckily not had to walk into the light), he has applied for his carry permit and plans to make up for his past votes.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I think it's unfortunate how people think they can't be "liberals" and still support the second amendment. I'm sure that he won't turn into a conservative, but will hopefully revise his anti-gun thinking now that he realizes how important personal protection is, and not only "bad people" carry.

Yes, until you've suddenly found yourself in the situation where you need a gun badly, you can never fully appreciate the fact that when it happens there will be no one there to defend you but yourself. The time it happened to me left an indelible impression.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I think it's unfortunate how people think they can't be "liberals" and still support the second amendment. .

It's kind of weird, isn't it? I mean liberals are supposed to stand up for individual rights.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I think that largely, the liberals do stand for individual rights, but that the right to bear arms got lost somewhere along the way.

I don't have anything to back this up, but I think the liberal/democrat anti-gun stance comes largely from the vietnam era, when people were attempting to exercise a right not to go to fight a war they didn't believe in. I think that because Vietnam was the first war that ended up on television, people were suddenly faced with the realities of violence, and it hasn't quite sunk in that getting rid of guns won't get rid of violence.

>"A Conservative Is A Liberal Who Has Been Mugged"

I'm a liberal, I've been mugged, I defended myself without a gun - and I think that every sane law-abiding adult has a right to own a gun in the US.

Well, I haven't been mugged, but ditto for all the rest - especially after what happened to New Orleans after Katrina.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

A couple of weeks ago I was driving along a quiet road through Arizona, on my way to visit the Grand Canyon.

Looking at the road ahead, which was a straight black line disapearing into the horizon (with no other cars), and virtually nothing else to see throughout a full 360 degrees, got me thinking.

There was the occasional trailer and little wooden house around the area.

I'd imagine were I to live in such a place the idea of buying some firearms might not be such a bad idea.

Maybe there should be a new law in the US where only people living in very isolated areas may own guns!;)

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

Maybe there should be a new law in the US where only people living in very isolated areas may own guns!;)

New Orleans is not an isolated location. It's a major US city where the social fabric disintegrated. The police were overwhelmed, especially after so many of their own cops either deserted or else took part in the looting. The only people who could protect their homes were the ones who sat out on their front porches brandishing firearms.

I don't own a gun. Where we live, we don't feel we need one. My wife doesn't want one in the house and I'm not sure I really want one either. But those are personal choices that are our right to make. If we lived in a crappy part of town, or way out in the sticks, or in a place like Montana or Alaska with elk and grizzly bears, we'd probably own an appropriate range of firearms. If we wanted to own a gun, or several guns, nobody should tell us we can't.

Cities like San Francisco who think they can "protect" their law abiding citizens by taking away their guns are in complete denial of the fact that the criminal element will never be disarmed.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I hate to generalise but when I see someone who lives in a really well-to-do neighbohood (like a politician) dictating to the rest of us who wish we could afford to live in a neighborhood as safe as his that we do not need guns because he can walk through his neighborhood without needing one it rather upsets me. Yes I know there are people in poorer neighborhoods who also are against gun ownership, but on average I find that people who live near reality tend to see reality a bit better than those who live in politician-ville, at least with respect to crime. Perhaps all the politicians who propose disarming citizens should show how safe they truly feel the world is and stop having security personell around them when they go in public. Maybe if the rest of these guys had to experience the teror of being helpless in he presence of a violent thugmonkey, they might not be so quick to dis-arm. They might also take a stronger stance on sentencing violent criminals (even at the risk of a few votes).
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

A couple of weeks ago I was driving along a quiet road through Arizona, on my way to visit the Grand Canyon.

Looking at the road ahead, which was a straight black line disapearing into the horizon (with no other cars), and virtually nothing else to see throughout a full 360 degrees, got me thinking.

There was the occasional trailer and little wooden house around the area.

I'd imagine were I to live in such a place the idea of buying some firearms might not be such a bad idea.

Well, the area where I live isn't terribly remote, but I was driving through that same remote stretch of Arizona earlier this week, and I was certainly glad the current laws allowed me to have a gun in my car.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

helpless in he presence of a violent thugmonkey

The issue with this is that despite the fact that most breeds of thugmonkeys are migratory they do as a matter of fact stay out of politician-ville, they can sense evil you know. Maybe we should open a thugmonkey hunting season to thin out their numbers a bit:P

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

The issue with this is that despite the fact that most breeds of thugmonkeys are migratory they do as a matter of fact stay out of politician-ville,

They know better than to bite the hand that feeds them.

Maybe we should open a thugmonkey hunting season to thin out their numbers a bit:P

It would not break my heart if every-one of these street "gangstas" was found face down with a pool of blood around their heads.

But seriously. Every one of these "lets disarm society" type politicians should be forced to take a route through a bad neighborhood every night (partly via transit and partly via walking), without any security. It would be interesting to see how long their high and mighty "no-one needs a gun" attitude will last.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I'm sure they'd love the security a gun might provide, but hopefully their greater concern would be how to address the 'ghetto' and crime issue. (Which I very much doubt.)

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

but hopefully their greater concern would be how to address the 'ghetto' and crime issue.

As soon as they are willing to hold people from those neighborhoods responsible for their actions, instead of feeling sorry for them, and coming up with all kinds of excuses for their behaviour, and all kinds of weak laws that allow the thugs to feel untouchable we might see some change.

For example, up here in Canuckistan, our new "law and order" prime minister who was voted in partly because of his stance on tougher sentencing, faced hostility (and potential lost votes) from special interest groups on his desire to actually hold thugs accountable for their actions. As a result he still passed a law (so he wouldn't get accused of flip-flopping), but he made it so weak that the mothers of thugs will not be turned off of voting for him. Basically the new law calls for a mandatory prison sentence (no specifics on how long that mandatory sentence must be) when a person is convictd of his 13th gun crime. 13th gun crime!!!! What, after 12 gun crimes we are not sure that jail might be the answer? All those thugmonkeys who were afraid that the party was over with the election of this guy are laughing again. They still own the street because he lacked the balls to take it back from them and hand it to real citizens, like he promised.