br0k3n

Lets Pray

If I throw a coin, i know both possible futures, heads or tails.

straw man. bad analaogy. Few of our choices are 50/50.

--------------------------------------------
Straw Man? Where do I say most our choices are 50/50? You are missing the point entirley. I am giving the example of a coin toss to demosntrate that knowing posssible futures is not the same thing as knowing the future. Did you really miss this and think I was saying all our choices are 50/50? I doubt it, I think you are smarter than that.

"Do you know "most" theist?? I doubt it. Do you even know the differenece between Arminian and Calvinist in their theology? I have no stats but I'd say a good portion of Christian theologians are Arminian, and believe in man's free will. "

Ok I dont know most theists , but I have never heard of one that doesnt think god can see the future perfectly. If there are some out there, feel free to poin thtem out. But that is why I asked you whether you think god can do this or not, your opinion is of relevance here since you are the one I am debating. You conveniently didnt answer. My knowledge of the details fo the myriad number of Christian sects are not at issue here, so what if some or all of them believ in free will. What I am saying is thatt concpet of gods omnipetence is contradictory to free will. Which sects believ in free will is not the point.

"This is where I disagree with you. I can exercise my free will to shoot you and someone can exercise their free will to shoot me first. The fact that the second guy stopped me from shooting didn't infringe upon my free will to choose to shoot, he only changed the outcome by exercising his free will to stop me. "

This is completley irrevelant, yet again you missing the point entirely. i'm not reaally sure how else to explain the contradiction. Maybe this will help , a person faces option 1 or option 2.

Secanrio 1 A person has a free choice they can decide between 1 or 2, thereofre whilst it might be possible to predict with a high level fo accuracy which they will choose, that level can never be 100% as long as their choice is free.

Scenario 2 If their actions are predetermined it will be posssible (at least in principle) to predict with complete acuracy whether they will chose 1 or 2 in this case any appearence of free will is an illusion.

In scenario 2 it would be possible to have perfect knowledge of the future so goods omnipotence is at leats conceivable, but then free will dissapears.

"I use prayer to align myself with God's will rather than ask Him to give me something. "

and how do you know what gods will is? Many people do the same and come up with some very different versions of gods will, some go and build churches others go and blow up buildings, how do you knwo your version of gods will is the right one? How do you know your not deluding youself?

If I throw a coin, i know both possible futures, heads or tails.

straw man. bad analaogy. Few of our choices are 50/50.

--------------------------------------------

Straw Man? Where do I say most our choices are 50/50? You are missing the point entirley. I am giving the example of a coin toss to demosntrate that knowing posssible futures is not the same thing as knowing the future. Did you really miss this and think I was saying all our choices are 50/50? I doubt it, I think you are smarter than that.

You're the one to bring up the coin toss. The outcome there is 50/50. Your statement that there are an infinite number of choices we can make proves the point that God's forknowledge of all those choices is a greater ability in Omniscience then simply knowing a future He predetermined.

"Do you know "most" theist?? I doubt it. Do you even know the differenece between Arminian and Calvinist in their theology? I have no stats but I'd say a good portion of Christian theologians are Arminian, and believe in man's free will. "

Ok I dont know most theists , but I have never heard of one that doesnt think god can see the future perfectly. If there are some out there, feel free to poin thtem out.

Talk to any Wesleyan theist. EDITED TO ADD: You're in England, right? Talk to many Oxford theologians.

But that is why I asked you whether you think god can do this or not, your opinion is of relevance here since you are the one I am debating. You conveniently didnt answer. My knowledge of the details fo the myriad number of Christian sects are not at issue here, so what if some or all of them believ in free will. What I am saying is thatt concpet of gods omnipetence is contradictory to free will. Which sects believ in free will is not the point.

I've told you many times I believe God knows ALL possible futures. There is not one set future if man has free will, so therefore it would be impossible for God to know exactly what we would choose if we have free will. Being God he can know all our possible choices, but he leaves the choosing up to us.

i'm not reaally sure how else to explain the contradiction.

No problem, I'm at a loss to explain Wesleyan theology of free will in a forum thread in such a manner a layman can understand.

Maybe this will help , a person faces option 1 or option 2.

Secanrio 1 A person has a free choice they can decide between 1 or 2, thereofre whilst it might be possible to predict with a high level fo accuracy which they will choose, that level can never be 100% as long as their choice is free.

I can be 100% accurate if I say they will choose either 1 or 2. Not much of a problem is it? Now try doing that with a few billion people with infinite choices. I cannot predict that but God can, It is in the nature of God.

Scenario 2 If their actions are predetermined it will be posssible (at least in principle) to predict with complete acuracy whether they will chose 1 or 2 in this case any appearence of free will is an illusion.

I'm not a Calvinist so I wil not try and defend that understanding of the balance between predestination and free will. They do not co-exist IMHO. That is why I am no longer a Calvinsit as I once was when I was younger.

"I use prayer to align myself with God's will rather than ask Him to give me something. "

and how do you know what gods will is? Many people do the same and come up with some very different versions of gods will, some go and build churches others go and blow up buildings, how do you knwo your version of gods will is the right one? How do you know your not deluding youself?

I do not pretend to answer for anyone but me. I try to align my actions with what Christ teaches. I have studied it intensively and while I have a better than average understanding, I'm not the resident expert. Our free will to choose and make choices is part of God's design (as I interpret scripture) With that freedom comes mistakes and errors. I believe God knows this and while I cannot speak for him in the areas he remains silent I can guess he determines man's free will is better than being a puppet on a string.

Let me add, there are many Christians who are Calvinist in their understanding of God's omniscience. As well as there are many who attend an Arminian Church such as Methodist or Church of God, and hold a Calvinist view in spite of what their denomination teaches.The same is true for some Calvinist Churches like Baptist and AOG. To me this difference is a non-essential in our fellowship.

I'm not the one that desires to have every question about God and His ways answered. It appears you are that person. I'm very content for God to be mysterious and above my complete understanding.

steveOrino

"I've told you many times I believe God knows ALL possible futures. There is not one set future if man has free will, so therefore it would be impossible for God to know exactly what we would choose if we have free will. Being God he can know all our possible choices, but since he leaves that up to us. "

This is a very interesting answer and it seems I may have misunderstood you position.
So Im going to state here clearly what I think you are implying and you can correct me if I have misunderstod:

According to you god knows what possible actions we might take but does not know what actual actions we will take , so for example he knows I might have a salad or a sandwhich or sushi for lunch tomorow but he doesnt know which, as I havent decided myself yet.

Is that correct?

If it is I may have previousluy misunderstood your position. However i dont think this would be without cause. The reasoon for that is you have previously used prophecy as evidence of the divine nature of the bible. If god only knows our possible future actions and not our actual future actions how is prophecy possible?

I still dont see why saving people from a natural disaster like a tsunami would in any way contradict free will. When it comes to un natual disasters like the Virginia shooting why would gods intervention be an unnaceptable intervention in free will, but a police intervention wouldd not? (Im presuming you would be ok had the police turned up and intervened, please correct me if I am wrong).

Another point,if god cant see the future perfectly then he is not omniscient. Do you agree god is not omniscient?

"I do not pretend to answer for anyone but me. I try to align my actions with what Christ teaches. I have studied it intensively and while I have a better than average understanding, I'm not the resident expert."

I know you try and align yourselves with Christ teachings but previously you said that prayer was your attempt to align yourslef with gods will, my question is how do you know the will of god? Whats makes your (hopefully peaceful) interpretation necessarily right in contrast to those that do the same and get a very violent interpretation of gods will? Both you and the jihadist bleieve they are following gods will. Since you abandon objective evidence what basis do you have to declare your interpretation right and theirs wrong?

According to you god knows what possible actions we might take but does not know what actual actions we will take , so for example he knows I might have a salad or a sandwhich or sushi for lunch tomorow but he doesnt know which, as I havent decided myself yet.

Is that correct?

Yes, but he also know you may choose a myriad of something else. he also knows somebody may make a call and you might workthrough lunch. The list of possibilities is endless and God knows them all. pretty impressive eh? ;)

If it is I may have previousluy misunderstood your position. However i dont think this would be without cause. The reasoon for that is you have previously used prophecy as evidence of the divine nature of the bible. If god only knows our possible future actions and not our actual future actions how is prophecy possible?

Are you aware that there are prophecies that did not come to pass because of man's free will? Take for instance in the book of Jonah -- God gave Joanh this message from God for the people of Ninevah "In forty days Ninevah wil be overturned" However, the people of Ninevah repented and God did not "overturn" Ninevah. Failed prophecy? Not exactly. Man's free will changed God's mind.

I still dont see why saving people from a natural disaster like a tsunami would in any way contradict free will. When it comes to un natual disasters like the Virginia shooting why would gods intervention be an unnaceptable intervention in free will, but a police intervention wouldd not? (Im presuming you would be ok had the police turned up and intervened, please correct me if I am wrong).

I don't see that it would either. Why are there tornado and Tsunamis, cancer, disease? I don't have a good reason. Job asked the same questions. He did not get a reply other than "You're not God, so who are you to judge me?" type of reply.

Another point,if god cant see the future perfectly then he is not omniscient. Do you agree god is not omniscient?

No, I think God knowing all POSSIBLE futures is the act ony an all knowing God could perform. To say God is not omniscient because he allows man's free will is like the stupid question, "can God create a rock so big he can't lift it?" To me that is simply the question the unlearned ask.

"I do not pretend to answer for anyone but me. I try to align my actions with what Christ teaches. I have studied it intensively and while I have a better than average understanding, I'm not the resident expert."

I know you try and align yourselves with Christ teachings but previously you said that prayer was your attempt to align yourslef with gods will, my question is how do you know the will of god?

Through a good study and understanding of God's word as presented by the Bible and the teachings of Christ, through God's other teachers, and from nature itself.

Whats makes your (hopefully peaceful) interpretation necessarily right in contrast to those that do the same and get a very violent interpretation of gods will?

Truth is truth whether I choose it or not not -- whether itt is popular or not. I'm wrong at times, I know that. I also know I'm human and not God, so I do not expect my interpretations to be 100% free from error. So do I know I'm 100% right all th etime? Of course not.

Both you and the jihadist bleieve they are following gods will. Since you abandon objective evidence what basis do you have to declare your interpretation right and theirs wrong?

First, show me where I have rejected "objective" evidence. Ultimately God will judge who was right and wrong, not me, not you. Since it is my butt on the line, I'm making the best possible judgment based onthe evidence I have. If you or some jihadist disagrees, that doesn't make me wrong anymore than my interpretations make them wrong. As I said, I'm making the best informed decisions I can.

steveOrino

"The list of possibilities is endless and God knows them all. pretty impressive eh?"

Im not overly impressed by an imaginary being given imaginary atributes.

"Are you aware that there are prophecies that did not come to pass because of man's free will? "

Im certainly aware that many prophecies in the bible did not come true. I wasnt so aware that many Chrsitians accepted that fact. I certainly giv you credit for doing so. If a prophecy is made and it doesnt come to pass, I would call that a failed prophecy. The fact of why it is a failed prophecy is not the issue. If i didnt have to take into account people free choices I could probably be a pretty good pyschic myself.

"I don't see that it would either. Why are there tornado and Tsunamis, cancer, disease? I don't have a good reason. Job asked the same questions. He did not get a reply other than "You're not God, so who are you to judge me?" type of reply. "

Well this is exactly the point, god most likely does not exist and if he does he is not so great to intervene in our lives in as positive way. You say dont judge god but i find most thesist are always judging god except they come to a positive judgement; god is great, merciful, just,loving etc As soon as someone says somethign that is equally a judgment but in the opposite direction, not great, unjust, merciless,uncaring etc suddenly they are told not to judge god.

"To say God is not omniscient because he allows man's free will is like the stupid question, "can God create a rock so big he can't lift it?" To me that is simply the question the unlearned ask.

Its not a stupid question at all. Your example of "can god create a rock so big he cant lift it " is not the way that question is usually phrased but there is a serious point and you havent addressed it except in the form of an ad hominem attack on the questioner. The more serious way of asking this question is: are there attributes of gods omni properties (omnisciene,omnipresence,omnipotent etc) that are in contradiction to other characteristics?

By definition an omnscient being knows everything so can he know what ignorace feels like? Is god in hell? if he is not, then he ca not be omnipresent. Is god ominoptennt ? Many theist have different views, god can do anything, can do anything he chosses, can can do anything that is logically possible to do.This last possibility puts constraits on god and many theists dont accep that, it seem you probably do. If god can do anyhting ,can he kill himslef? If he cant he is not genuinely omnipotent, if he can then he is not genuinely immortal.

"Through a good study and understanding of God's word as presented by the Bible and the teachings of Christ, through God's other teachers, and from nature itself. "
thast your assumption that bible is gods word. Even if its right there are many ways to interpet it, some violent some non violent.

"First, show me where I have rejected "objective" evidence."

What I mean by that is you reject objective evidence as a basis for belief. You will believe in things without objective evidence, you believe in a soul, i asked for you some evidence for a soul, you replied
"You're looking for something that does not exist. Empiracle evidence for a soul. "
They are your own words and yet you believe in one anyway. This is utterly absurd basis for belief. My beliefs about the issues we debate are based on evidence, yours are not; thats the real difference between us.

"First, show me where I have rejected "objective" evidence."

What I mean by that is you reject objective evidence as a basis for belief. You will believe in things without objective evidence, you believe in a soul,

Biblical definition of faith is found in the book of Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."

And another key verse is Hebrews 11:6 "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him."

I have faith in God ... you don't. To me it is that simple. I'm not better because I do, you are not better because you believe I believe in something no one can easily define or study.

steveOrino

"Through a good study and understanding of God's word as presented by the Bible and the teachings of Christ, through God's other teachers, and from nature itself. "

thast your assumption that bible is gods word. Even if its right there are many ways to interpet it, some violent some non violent.

As I have said many times on this forum, I believe the Bible to be God's word to point us to Christ. I don't think it is supposed to be a history book, a science book, or a geneological record.

Yes, there are many ways to interpret scriptures. That is why it is always best to interpret a difficult or unclear passage in the light of a clear one.

steveOrino

i think philh is thinking of God knowing the future in a peculiar way.

CS Lewis explains it this way. God is not in the same space and time that we are as humans. He is in a 4th dimension so to speak.

So when we call yesterday our past, today our present, and tomorrow our future, to God they are all the present for him.

he knows what im gonna have for breakfast tomorrow because my tomorrow is present to him.

I'll come back tomorrow with exerpts and referrences for it is very late here. Or if you cant wait, read Mere Christianity i think the chapter is Beyond Space and Time or something to that effect.
It is only after we have lost everything that we are free to do anything

no you cannot decide .. what ever you eat is what he planned .. so if you eat pancakes .. and you think he wanted you to eat eggs, he really wanted you to think you would eat eggs, but instead eat pancakes.

he's just that way .. no logic in his master plan what so ever.

If god already knows you're going to have eggs for breakfast tomorrow, can you decide to have pancakes instead?

God's knowledge of what you will choose does not preclude your ability to do so.

Impossible.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

If god already knows you're going to have eggs for breakfast tomorrow, can you decide to have pancakes instead?

God's knowledge of what you will choose does not preclude your ability to do so.

What a marvelous statement. Too bad it's nonsensical.

Edited to add: This makes as much sense as saying this god person can make a 5-sided square. If your god story relies on him not even being constrained by the laws of logic, then it's even sillier than I imagined.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Why?

Why?

Read Slaughterhouse 5.

Why?

That's sorta the definition of it all. If there are sufficient conditions in place at time A to pre-determine what the outcome will be at time B, then we have determinism.

Free will requires that the conditions are NOT set in advance. But your god fellow's foreknowledge constrains the outcome to a particular, set outcome. Get it?

Why?

Read Slaughterhouse 5.

If I could read your mind, how would that restrict or "control" your thoughts or actions? I just know you so well that I know what you'll do before you do it. Still doesn't prevent you from doing what you want.

>Still doesn't prevent you from doing what you want.

Actually it does.

If someone believes they are omniscient, and has certain knowledge of what you will do, there are only two possible options:

1) You must do what he predicts you will do.

2) You can do something else, thus demonstrating he is not omniscient.

There's no third option.

If I could read your mind, how would that restrict or "control" your thoughts or actions? I just know you so well that I know what you'll do before you do it. Still doesn't prevent you from doing what you want.

Knowing me so well that you know what I'll do demands that my actions must follow a set path determined by my nature and circumstances. There is no room for free will.

There is no room for free will.

I am omniscient. I predict pajarito will now either:

A) Make authoritative but non-explanatory statements reiterating his earlier stand

or

B) Quietly disappear from the thread.

>Still doesn't prevent you from doing what you want.

Actually it does.

If someone believes they are omniscient, and has certain knowledge of what you will do, there are only two possible options:

1) You must do what he predicts you will do.

2) You can do something else, thus demonstrating he is not omniscient.

There's no third option.

All theological topics contain pitfalls for the unwary, for God’s truth is never quite what man would have expected; and our present subject is more treacherous than most. This is because in thinking it through we have to deal with an antinomy in the biblical revelation, and in such circumstances our finite, fallen minds are more than ordinarily apt to go astray.

What is an antinomy? The Shorter Oxford Dictionary defines it as “a contradiction between conclusions which seem equally logical, reasonable or necessary.” For our purposes, however, this definition is not quite accurate; the opening words should read “an appearance of contradiction.” For the whole point of an antinomy—in theology, at any rate—is that it is not a real contradiction, though it looks like one. It is an apparent incompatibility between two apparent truths. An antinomy exists when a pair of principles stand side by side, seemingly irreconcilable, yet both undeniable. There are cogent reasons for believing each of them; each rests on clear and solid evidence; but it is a mystery to you how they can be squared with each other. You see that each must be true on its own, but you do not see how they can both be true together. Let me give an example. Modern physics faces an aritinomy, in this sense, in its study of light. There is cogent evidence to show that light consists of waves, and equally cogent evidence to show that it consists of particles. It is not apparent how light can be both waves and particles, but the evidence is there, and so neither view can be ruled out in favor of the other. Neither, however, can be reduced to the other or explained in terms of the other; the two seemingly incompatible positions must be held together, and both must be treated as true. Such a necessity scandalizes our tidy minds, no doubt, but there is no help for it if we are to be loyal to the facts.

It appears, therefore, that an antinomy is not the same thing as a paradox. A paradox is a figure of speech, a play on words. It is a form of statement that seems to unite two opposite ideas, or to deny something by the very terms in which it is asserted. Many truths about the Christian life can be expressed as paradoxes. A Prayer Book collect, for instance, declares that God’s “service is perfect freedom”: man goes free through becoming a slave. Paul states various paradoxes of his own Christian experience: “sorrowful, yet always rejoicing...having nothing, and yet possessing all things”; “when I am weak, then am I strong” (2 Cor. 6:10, 12:10). The point of a paradox, however, is that what creates the appearance of contradiction is not the facts, but the words. The contradiction is verbal, but not real, and a little thought shows how it can be eliminated and the same idea expressed in non-paradoxical form. In other words a paradox is always dispensable. Look at the examples quoted. The Prayer Book might have said that those who serve God are free from sin’s dominion. In 2 Cor. 6:10, 12:10 Paul might have said that sorrow at circumstances, and joy in God, are constantly combined in his experience, and that, though he owns no property, has no bank balance, there is a sense in which everything belongs to him, because he is Christ’s, and Christ is Lord of all. Again, in 2 Cor. 12:10, he might have said that the Lord strengthens him most when he is most conscious of his natural infirmity. Such non-paradoxical forms of speech are clumsy and dull beside the paradoxes which they would replace, but they express precisely the same meaning. For a paradox is merely a matter of how you use words; the employment of paradox is an arresting trick of speech, but it does not imply even an appearance of contradiction in the facts that you are describing.

Also it should be noted that a paradox is always comprehensible. A speaker or writer casts his ideas into paradoxes in order to make them memorable and provoke thought about them. But the person at the receiving end must be able, on reflection, to see how to unravel the paradox, otherwise it will seem to him to be really self-contradictory, and therefore really meaningless. An incomprehensible paradox could not be distinguished from a mere contradiction in terms. Sheer paradox would thus have to be written off as sheer nonsense.

By contrast, however, an antinomy is neither dispensable nor comprehensible. It is not a figure of speech, but an observed relation between two statements of fact. It is not deliberately manufactured; it is forced upon us by the facts themselves. It is unavoidable, and it is insoluble. We do not invent it, and we cannot explain it. Nor is there any way to get rid of it, save by falsifying the very facts that led us to it.

What should one do, then, with an antinomy? Accept it for what it is, and learn to live with it. Refuse to regard the apparent inconsistency as real; put down the semblance of contradiction to the deficiency of your own understanding; think of the two principles as, not rival alternatives, but, in some way that at present you do not grasp, complementary to each other. Be careful, therefore, not to set them at loggerheads, nor to make deductions from either that would cut across the other (such deductions would, for that very reason, be certainly unsound). Use each within the limits of its own sphere of reference (i.e., the area delimited by the evidence from which the principle has been drawn). Note what connections exist between the two truths and their two frames of reference, and teach yourself to think of reality in a way that provides for their peaceful coexistence, remembering that reality itself has proved actually to contain them both. This is how antinomies must be handled, whether in nature or in Scripture. This, as I understand it, is how modern physics deals with the problem of light, and this is how Christians have to deal with the antinomies of biblical teaching.

The particular antinomy which concerns us here is the apparent opposition between divine sovereignty and human responsibility, or (putting it more biblically) between what God does as King and what He does as Judge. Scripture teaches that, as King, He orders and controls all things, human actions among them, in accordance with His own eternal purpose. Scripture also teaches that, as Judge, He holds every man responsible for the choices he makes and the courses of action he pursues. Thus hearers of the gospel are responsible for their reaction; if they reject the good news, they are guilty of unbelief. “He that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed.” Again, Paul, entrusted with the gospel, is responsible for preaching it; if he neglects his commission, he is penalized for unfaithfulness. “Necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!” God’s sovereignty and man’s responsibility are taught us side by side in the same Bible; sometimes, indeed, in the same text. Both are thus guaranteed to us by the same divine authority; both, therefore, are true. It follows that they must be held together, and not played off against each other. Man is a responsible moral agent, though he is also divinely controlled; man is divinely controlled, though he is also a responsible moral agent. God’s sovereignty is a reality, and man’s responsibility is a reality too. This is the revealed antinomy in terms of which we have to do our thinking about divine command and free-will.

To our finite minds, of course, the thing is inexplicable. It sounds like a contradiction, and our first reaction is to complain that it is absurd. Paul notices this complaint in Rornans 9: “Thou wilt say then unto me, Why does he [God] yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?” (Rom. 9:19). If, as our Lord, God orders all our actions, how can it be reasonable or right for Him to act also as our Judge, and condemn our shortcomings? Observe how Paul replies. He does not attempt to demonstrate the propriety of God’s action; instead, he rebukes the spirit of the question. “Nay but, 0 man, who are thou that repliest against God?” What the objector has to learn is that he, a creature and a sinner, has not right whatsoever to find fault with the revealed ways of God. Creatures are not entitled to register complaints about their Creator.7
This incomprehensible antinomy—God’s will, man’s will, and free will—occupies a large part of God’s truth. Does this subject have a message for ministers and Christians in this day of doctrinal indifference and ignorance? It most certainly does.

Many evangelicals today have a lot of semi-Pelagianism in their blood. They believe man really isn’t all that bad. Certainly he isn’t totally depraved—he can choose to do good because his nature is good.

An understanding of the bondage of the will would produce some radical changes in the common approach to preaching in general and to evangelistic preaching in particular. As has been shown previously, man’s will is a slave to his nature. He cannot decide something or choose to do something that is alien to his nature. This concept would have a profound effect on many departments of theology as well as pastoral work. It is good for us to remember that the bondage of the will was a central theme at the foundation of the Protestant Reformation and thus at the center of all that occurred then in evangelism, preaching, holy living, and organizational restructuring.

Do we not stand in urgent need of teaching that humbles man, strengthens faith, and glorifies God?
--Dr. J.I. Packer

All theological topics blah blah blah

Allow me to summarise the good Dr. - "God doesn't play by our rules, so no matter how good the counterargument is I don't even need to address it. Deal with it bitches."

Not very conducive to a useful discussion, is it?

All theological topics blah blah blah

Allow me to summarise the good Dr. - "God doesn't play by our rules, so no matter how good the counterargument is I don't even need to address it. Deal with it bitches."

Not very conducive to a useful discussion, is it?

That's the problem. The concept is much more complex than you'd like. We want to "summarize" or dumb it down because we aren't able to comprehend it. It makes us uncomfortable in our finite capacity that we cannot know the mind of God. It is our arrogant pride which makes us think we can.

“God’s truth is never quite what man would have expected.”

It makes us uncomfortable in our finite capacity that we cannot know the mind of God.

This isn't about knowing the mind of God, it's about pointing out fundamental incompatibilities between the things that religions would have us believe.

We want to "summarize" or dumb it down because we aren't able to comprehend it.

The passage you quoted is the ultimate example of dumbing down, its basic message is "You'll never be able to understand so don't think about it - just accept what we say as true." Religion only works when people are willing to turn off their 'god given' faculty for reasoned thought. It's why they've held back so much science over the years.

Speaking of science, are you any closer to admitting that other article was a bunch of codswallop yet?

So you claim this is an antimony? To describe it:

"It is unavoidable, and it is insoluble. We do not invent it, and we cannot explain it. Nor is there any way to get rid of it, save by falsifying the very facts that led us to it.

What should one do, then, with an antinomy? Accept it for what it is, and learn to live with it."

If by quoting that piece you mean that you do not have a solution to my question, that's a fair reply. It would be more forthcoming, though, to state that you do not know if man has free will; the piece you quoted encourages you to accept that you cannot answer the question, and to learn to live with your uncertainty.