Kennedy

US Flag in Distress

Well, I don't know about you, or this being a sign of distress, but this picture puts me in distress.

This was done as part of a protest at a California High School (Montebello). You can guess the topic of interest, I'm sure.

Snopes'd it, too
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Well I saw the first image and thought it was some right wing anti-immigration dude making a point.

However, the second image shows it's actually some Mexicans hoisting the flags. What the hell are they thinking?

It's a big fuck you to the country they're guests in. Unbelievable really.

Well, I don't know about you, or this being a sign of distress, but this picture puts me in distress.

This was done as part of a protest at a California High School (Montebello). You can guess the topic of interest, I'm sure.

Snopes'd it, too

calif school...... this shouldn't come as a surprise should it??:S land of the fruit and nuts,, and whatever other oddity you can think of....

I think Canada should be worried - not just because our Marines messed up so long ago, but because they're the next country in line.

We've been dealign with this stuff for a long time now. Please note that it is absolutely not the immigrants that are doing things like this. It is the Americanized youth pulling shit like this.

The adults? They have jobs. Just like anywhere, it's the fucking kids who have it so well that they tend to do thing like forget why their parents went through hell to get to this country.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

The adults? They have jobs. Just like anywhere, it's the fucking kids who have it so well that they tend to do thing like forget why their parents went through hell to get to this country.

Then their *parents* should be setting the little pricks straight!
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Speaking of which

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-03/apsa-whi033007.php

Washington, DC -- New research by political scientists concludes that available data does not appear to support the claim that Hispanic immigration poses a threat to American identity. Among the key findings of this study are that Hispanics acquire English and lose Spanish rapidly beginning in the 2nd generation; appear to be as religious and at least as committed to the work ethic as native-born whites; and largely reject a purely ethnic identification and exhibit levels of patriotism equal to native-born whites by the 3rd generation.

This research is presented in an article entitled "Testing Huntington: Is Hispanic Immigration a Threat to American Identity?" by co-authors Jack Citrin, Amy Lerman, Michael Murakami (all of the University of California, Berkeley), and Kathryn Pearson (University of Minnesota). The article appears in the March issue of Perspectives on Politics, a journal of the American Political Science Association (APSA), and is available online at http://www.apsanet.org/imgtest/PerspectivesMar07Citrin_etal.pdf.

The goal of the study is to test several propositions in the national debate on immigration —put forth by Harvard scholar Samuel Huntington among others—which emphasize the destabilizing impact of Mexican immigration on American national identity. The authors seek to "ground the debate over Huntington’s prognosis…in a sustained empirical analysis of recent immigrants." The resulting analysis employs data from the U.S. Census and several national and Los Angeles opinion surveys with thousands of respondents.

My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

Whats so intresting, is that the Majority of those High School students demostrating, and I'd bet that 98% of them have never been to Mexico.. would cringe at living in the society that is Mexico now..
I'm sure the demostrating is in reference to the immigration policy,, but people must follow the laws, you can't just give amnesty to them all.

1 - If it's their flags and pole, they can do what they want with their private property. Then people see them for the idiots they are but everyone had their opportunity for an impotent gesture instead of constructive speech.

2 - (Admitting the assumption here) But I bet they co-opted the school's pole and flags and did it without permision from the "owners of that property". That's what's usually wrong about these types of demos.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I think Canada should be worried - not just because our Marines messed up so long ago, but because they're the next country in line.

First of all it wasn't a mistake; it was a deliberate insult. Just like it was at the Detroit home opener last week.
Second of all we are not that worried. Illegal Guatemalan immigration is actually more prevalent than Mexican. We do havea guest worker program that is seeing a growing number of Mexicans. In Canada that is generally seen as diluting the Asian heavy mix

1 - If it's their flags and pole, they can do what they want with their private property. Then people see them for the idiots they are but everyone had their opportunity for an impotent gesture instead of constructive speech.

2 - (Admitting the assumption here) But I bet they co-opted the school's pole and flags and did it without permision from the "owners of that property". That's what's usually wrong about these types of demos.

Not their flagpole, not their school, not their flag AND they stole the flag.

then it has ZERO to do with respect to the flag - it has ZERO to do with free speech - it has to do with petulant children stealing, vandalising and trespassing

The Flag isn't in distress at all - private property is

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

then it has ZERO to do with respect to the flag - it has ZERO to do with free speech - it has to do with petulant children stealing, vandalising and trespassing

The Flag isn't in distress at all - private property is

It is what it is, it doesn't need you redefining it.

They didn't turn a vehicle upside down, they turned a flag upside down and they did it to make a political statement, and they did it because this school didn't walk out en masse as part of their political protest.

People here are commenting on that political statement for a reason, as is their right. You can tip-toe around the tulips all day long pretending it wasn't a political statement, good luck with that.

You can tip-toe around the tulips all day long pretending it wasn't a political statement, good luck with that.

Private property rights are a huge basis for our political system and is at the heart of most of the conflictive issues today.

Kids being raised to be disrespectful of other's rights (and encouraged and supported to hide it behind weak and false abuse of the 1st amendment) is also serious and more than just in a political way, but a cultural way.

So it's political in tons of indirect senses.

It's only political in the direct sense in that's the rationalization of these criminal acts and that some nuts will accept the rationalization.

These were spoiled bored kids and this is equivalent to a tantrum, it's nowhere near thoughtful and well intentioned political speech. If it was, they'd also have to respect those that disagree with them.

Politics is not discourse. Though it should be. It's just one sided self gratification. It's fully represented by children and childish behavior.

Speaking of which

key findings of this study are that Hispanics acquire English and lose Spanish rapidly beginning in the 2nd generation;

The kick in the ass is supporting them for the 20+ years it takes the family to get to the point that the second generation is finally in a position to pay into the system rather than just take from it.

Elvisio "see it in action everyday" Rodriguez

The kick in the ass is supporting them for the 20+ years it takes the family to get to the point that the second generation is finally in a position to pay into the system rather than just take from it.

Consider it an investment with a ~20 year maturity (2-3 generations actually). It's been well studied, and the results are settled except perhaps to extremists, mostly racists and other varieties of ignorant types.

The first movers (working-age) gives more than they take, but their old and infirm, whom they insist upon bringing over with them take more than they give. Around the second generation the whole lot tend to move to other states and join the economy not unlike the average garden variety American.

In the long term, the balance is hugely positive in terms of giving back more than they take, ie considering the net effects over multiple generations. There is scant economic basis to dislike immigration. This study chips away at the other possible reasons to dislike it. Let's trot out the usual strawmen:

1- "they takes our jorbs!" - the number of jobs in the economy is not constant, immigrants create jobs as well as take jobs. The net effect is positive.
2- "they depresses our wages!" - there is evidence to the contrary. In some sectors tho, esp unskilled labor, this is probably true. On the other hand, labor becomes cheaper, and cheap unskilled labor can serve to unlock your time to be spent more productively--for instance inexpensive childcare could allow someone to work full time instead of part time (or not at all and living on welfare).
3- "immigrants is criminals" - apart from the statutory definition (by which immigration is currently artificially restricted to our own detriment), there isn't any reason to believe that immigrants as a whole are more dangerous than locally born Americans. There are definitely gangs and criminals among them, just as there are among the home grown variety of Americans.
4- "immigrants today is different than they was" - we've got a long history of intolerance toward immigrants in the US, that's the same as it's always been.
5- "legal immigrants are OK, illegal immigrants are different" - only under the eyes of the law. they're much the same, otherwise, and there's ample historical precedent.
6- "they look and smell different than we do! and they have funny names and accents. they wave around different flags and listen to different music!" - touché!
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

Silly symbolism. Come on guys, BFD, some Mexican-Americans or Mexican immigrants, who knows / who cares are making a meaningless point. This is still the country of American born or naturalized, so they can symbolize all they want and means nothing. Why is it the consrvative-types get their panties all bunched when some ass-fucks try to and sucessfully piss you off? They win, you're pissed. If you realized that most of these people will be returning to menial jobs it would make you feel better. I mean, isn't that really winning, you going to better jobs, better houses, better cars, and overall better lives?

Actually, taxes are killing me (along with the debt I've accrued, my own fault, live and learn), I live a one bedroom apartment, not a house, and I got in a fight at work yesterday, though G.S.15A-401(d)(1) says I get to keep my job, and before that yesterday I arrested a criminal of hispanic origins who is in the country illegaly - he was driving a very expensive "blinged" escalade. I don't know, does dealing drugs and breaking the law qualify as a "menial" job?

But there's no doubt in my mind that my life is better than most and I love it.

ps - you hate me yet? I'm a cop. :P

witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Actually, taxes are killing me

Hurts a lot of people, spending money on someone means taking it exclusively from tax payers either now or in the future. Try taking your infant daughter to the ER on an evening. These damned politicians act like this is a abstract problem, it's not.

Why is it the consrvative-types get their panties all bunched when some ass-fucks try to and sucessfully piss you off?

Because it's these same ass-fucks who are behind some of our ever-increasing crime rates. Fayetteville, AR, for example. A few years ago, there was virtually no crime. Now there are all these Hispanic kids running around stealing shit and causing trouble. The "disrespecting the flag" issue just kinda pushes it over the edge. Why the hell would anyone defend that and make excuses for them? Their mamas should be teaching them better.

It pisses me off that Juan and his little buddies down the street apparently know who stole my kids brand new dirt bike ($2700). But they aren't talking. Little shits.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail