miked10270

Westboro Baptist Church on the BEEB

Louis Theroux meets the Phelps Family!

I'm guessing that most of the Brits on here watched this... So thoughts please?

Apart form "What a load of Zoomers"!

Personally, I couldn't abide their intolerance.

Oh yeah... LINK for the Colonials.

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

I felt sorry for the children and particularly the young women in the family. They seemed like they would be such nice happy people if they hadn't been born into that freakshow family.

None of their arguments made much sense and the old fella came across as a complete c**t[:/]

I wish we'd have found out a bit more about Steve (the documentary maker) who joined the WBC having gone their originally to film them.

I thought Louis Theroux did a good job all around.

There aren't words for the gut-deep loathing I feel when those lunatics speak.

Also feel sorry for the children - they remind me of a couple of young (7-8yr old) girls that Theroux met while investigating the far right/neo-Nazi/white nationalist community. Can't help but think that they're heading either for a major personality meltdown somewhere along the line, or a lifetime of ostracism.

Also feel sorry for the children - they remind me of a couple of young (7-8yr old) girls that Theroux met while investigating the far right/neo-Nazi/white nationalist community. Can't help but think that they're heading either for a major personality meltdown somewhere along the line, or a lifetime of ostracism.

I only saw a small part of the show, but that is exactly what I thought too.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Downloaded and watched the podcast-preview. These people are not well liked, but they need to keep going so that the rest of us can see how whacky they are.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I think it was sad that those little kids are being brought up with so much hate. That last chick was kinda hot though;)
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Careful now Max... there are a couple of posters here in SC who basicly spout the same lame crap...god forbid you might piss off some of the ultra right wing neo-con homophobe haters here.

There's rich irony in your accusations of hatred.

Here's another link to the video incase anyone missed it. This is actually the most watchable footage of these assholes I've seen.
http://www.break.com/index/most_hated_family_in_america.html

Here's Fred himself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e647x8xFKTs
This last video provides much more insight into their church, clearly this guy is articulate and somewhat charismatic, I've previously only seen much more oafish spokespeople by comparrison. Well worth the time to watch IMHO.

Also from their website:

WBC to preach to the whole world, via the BBC, and UK Channel 4

Soon the whole world will have heard of Westboro Baptist Church and the unwavering message of Her little flock of slaughter. We have preached for nearly 16 years now on the mean streets of America, seeking doors of utterance to cross international boundaries so we might preach the doom of idolatrous Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. Now, God Almighty, in His due time, has opened just such a door. You will have no excuse once the BBC and Channel 4 release their pieces on the WBC. No matter what perverted light they display us in, you will receive the message. God Hates Fags. God Hates You. The World is Doomed. This very well may be the last warning this doomed mass of mankind will receive before Christ returns in fire and glory to punish you. Whether you will hear it, or whether you will forbear, it is of no consequence to us. You have been warned.

So according to them the gig is up. We're now officially screwed.

They remind me of Islamic extremists who belive pretty much the same.

I had a similar thought, not that they believe the same thing (edit: but on reflection you're right although the Phelps' seem obsessed almost exclusively with sodomy) but they're definitely cut from the same cloth. With Fred Phelps at the helm they didn't stand a chance. It could be any one of us there with the wrong upbringing. We're only ever one generation away from ruin.