narcimund

A serious lack of humor

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/oddity_chocolate_jesus

Chocolate Jesus display shut down after Catholic cardinal called it 'sickening'

Fri Mar 30, 3:21 PM

NEW YORK (AP) - A planned Holy Week exhibition of a nude, anatomically correct chocolate sculpture of Jesus Christ was cancelled Friday amid a choir of complaining Catholics that included Cardinal Edward Egan.

The "My Sweet Lord" display was shut down by the hotel that houses the Lab Gallery in midtown Manhattan, said Matt Semler, the gallery's creative director. Semler said he submitted his resignation after officials at the Roger Smith Hotel shut down the show.

The 1.8-metre sculpture was the victim of "a strong-arming from people who haven't seen the show, seen what we're doing," Semler said. "They jumped to conclusions completely contrary to our intentions."

But word of the confectionary Christ infuriated Catholics, including Egan, who described it as "a sickening display." Bill Donohue, head of the watchdog Catholic League, said it was "one of the worst assaults on Christian sensibilities ever."

The hotel and the gallery were overrun Thursday with angry phone calls and e-mails about the exhibit. Semler said the calls included death threats over the work of artist Cosimo Cavallaro, who was described as disappointed by the decision to cancel the display.

"In this situation, the hotel couldn't continue to be supportive because of a fear for their own safety," Semler said.

The sculpture was to debut Monday evening, the day after Palm Sunday and just four days before Roman Catholics mark the crucifixion of Jesus Christ on Good Friday. The final day of the exhibit was planned for Easter Sunday.

The artwork was created from more than 200 pounds of milk chocolate, and features Christ with his arms outstretched as if on an invisible cross. Unlike the typical religious portrayal of Christ, the Cavallaro creation does not include a loincloth.

Cavallaro is best known for his quirky work with food as art: Past efforts include repainting a Manhattan hotel room in melted mozzarella and spraying five tonnes of pepper jack cheese on a Wyoming home.

If that's the worst assault on christian sensibilities ever, I'd have to say the christians have it pretty easy.

On the other hand, if the chocolate jesus was filled with raspberry syrup...

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Hmm, point 1) "My Sweet Lord"

:D:D:D

Point 2) "[A] nude, anatomically correct chocolate sculpture of Jesus Christ"

Do we really know how much chocolate it takes to make Jesus 'anatomically correct'?:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

yeah... well..... ya know christians seriously need a sense of humor...

try telling them that jesus wasnt a white man and see what happens....

do they really think jesus didnt have a penis?
everyone is born naked.... I am pretty sure...

I will give em a few points though... at least they dont indulge in bombings and murder these days.. they just whine

unlike some other religion who tends to employ high explosives to vent thier frustrations....

So maybe some of the people that were sooo offended were simply upset that jesus melted in their mouth, not in thier hand.... :):P

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I've never understood the debate, he was a jew from Nazareth/Bethlehem.

look on a map, you think a caucasion man such as is presented in most any church really came from that region?

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I've never understood the debate, he was a jew from Nazareth/Bethlehem.

look on a map, you think a caucasion man such as is presented in most any church really came from that region?

Roy

I know where it is on a map. I also know what Jews in the region look like (not just the newer immigrants). That kind of appearance seems like the most obvious and likely possibility. While I wouldn't expect the guy to look like Robert Powell I would be surprised if he could be described as black by any stretch of the imagination, which is something I've heard people claim.

yeah... well..... ya know christians seriously need a sense of humor...

try telling them that jesus wasnt a white man and see what happens....

do they really think jesus didnt have a penis?
everyone is born naked.... I am pretty sure...

I will give em a few points though... at least they dont indulge in bombings and murder these days.. they just whine

unlike some other religion who tends to employ high explosives to vent thier frustrations....

So maybe some of the people that were sooo offended were simply upset that jesus melted in their mouth, not in thier hand.... :):P

Roy

I agree! Not just Christians but... everyone who takes themselves so serious. Sheesh! Lighten-up for cryin' out loud. We only go around once in life. Besides, what's the difference if Christ is in the form of chocolate, a smudge on the wall of an overpass or on a tortilla? I saw the chocolate Jesus on the news and it looked a whole bunch better than some of the down-right shit that some folks call art. I think, with all the Catholic Church has been through in recent years, they might be a bit gun-shy. The artist in this case has his rights and freedoms as well as someone who takes a wad of baling wire and calls it art. By the way... is it light or dark chocolate? I couldn't really tell. :D

Chuck

[replyI will give em a few points though... at least they dont indulge in bombings and murder these days.. they just whine

there's a christian-fanatic sitting in the white house right now, not?

i'll be accused of anti-americanism after my last two posts..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

[replyI will give em a few points though... at least they dont indulge in bombings and murder these days.. they just whine

there's a christian-fanatic sitting in the white house right now, not?

i'll be accused of anti-americanism after my last two posts..

:D Yeah... you probably, better cool it!:D
I gotta agree with a couple of your points, though. What about the Irish Catholics and the Protestants? That's been going-on for quite some time. Iraq and other things have over-shadowed that mess. Or, have they calmed down?

Chuck

they dont blow each other up so often anymore, still some issues with stupid walks through the others neighbourhoods..

i think in the last days they had some kind of agreement where they would run government together and involve sinn fein, the political arm of the IRA.. i dont follow it that much tough..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

they dont blow each other up so often anymore, still some issues with stupid walks through the others neighbourhoods..

i think in the last days they had some kind of agreement where they would run government together and involve sinn fein, the political arm of the IRA.. i dont follow it that much tough..

I appreciate your telling me that. I'm glad, they were able to come to some kind of arrangement to stop the senseless killing.

Chuck