Andy9o8

RELIGIOUS INTOLERANCE!! Student suspended for worshiping Flying Spaghetti Monster

I am outraged.

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article.html?in_article_id=43272&in_page_id=2

Student punished for spaghetti beliefs
Thursday, March 29, 2007

A student has been suspended from school in America for coming to class dressed as a pirate.

But the disciplinary action has provoked controversy – because the student says that the ban violates his rights, as the pirate costume is part of his religion.

Bryan Killian says that he follows the Pastafarian religion, and that as a crucial part of his faith, he must wear 'full pirate regalia' as prescribed in the holy texts of Pastafarianism.

The school, however, say that his pirate garb was disruptive.

Pastafarians follow the Flying Spaghetti Monster (pictured), and believe that the world was created by the touch of his noodly appendage. Furthermore, they acknowledge pirates as being 'absolute divine beings', and stress that the worldwide decline in the number of pirates has directly led to global warming.

The kid is either very funny. Or a complete idiot.

If he's did it just to make a free speech/free religion stink on it, then I vote for idiot. Being a beligerent, confrontation clown is not effective.

If he's just mocking all the overly religious and anti-religious zealots and the freaky environmentalists (pirate correlation to GW) out there (and now will take his knocks and move on with life), then I vote for him being really cool and clever.

It all depends on what he does from this point. Sadly, I'm suspecting he takes himself too seriously on impotent pissy things and will inevitably prove out the 'idiot' position.

On first blush, the school seriously overreacted, and mocking him right back and then ignoring him would have been much better than suspension.

So here's a case of two wrongs make - comedy

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The Flying Spaghetti Monster is from a South Park episode. :P

Wednesday night, I climbed my first 5.11 since the knee surgery. You were back in action too, it seemed. I have tunnel video for you at safety day. Be jealous, be very jealous.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'm not outraged yet. I could be. It depends on the nature of the rule that the kid violated. If the rule allows Christian, Jewish, Rastafarian, etc., garb but not other types of garb, then I am outraged.

If it allows speech that supports certain religions but not others, then I have a problem.

If, on the other hand, the school doesn't allow it at all, then I don't have a problem with it.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

If the student had a legitimate belief in something, and was honestly demonstrating, the school could probably be taken to court and the kid could win a big settlement.

This sounds like the kid is in the wrong, so the school probably did the right thing.

A girl a while back came to class in her school, with duck tape over her mouth to symbolize something, and started passing out leaflets against abortion. The teacher told her to please stop, because this was disrupting her class. She also had the girl take the tape off her mouth. Later the girl's parents sued, and the school lost. Supposely this infringed on her right to free speech.....Steve1

The girls are allowed to dress like prostitues but the boys aren't allowed to dress like pirates ... :S

Pimps, yes; pirates, no.

Just as long as they don't allow them fucking ninjas either.;)

"This isn't an iron lung, people. You can actually disconnect and not die." -Dave

Fucking hell, that thing's got balls !! Thanks to those idiot school administrators, we're all going to die now, smothered in our sleep by a mountain of spaghetti.

I weep for this country......

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

This is exactly the sort of oppression we can do without.

I feel sorry for those that have not been touched by His Noodly Appendage.

This Piratian is a traditional worshipper. Dressing like a pirate is one of the holiest things one can do and it is disgusting that this person has been prevented from doing so.

For thine is the colander, the noodle, and the sauce, forever and ever.

Ramen.
The only thing stopping you is all the people that want to stop you!