warpedskydiver

WISCONSIN Lawyer needed/Land Grabbers trying to steal from simple old farmer

Hi, it has come to my attention that there is a large farmer that has leased land in consideration for cash given.

The period of years in the contract is over and yet he says they debt is unpaid, and there are now interest charges.

There was no interest spelled out in the contract, and the corporate farmer has now started and intimidation effort in order to steal land away.

The leased value paid was far less than the going rate by nearly half.

What is needed is advice, and if needed representation in order to stop the fleecing of a widowed simple elderly farmer.

You would be helping a man whos son recently retired after serving our nation for 23yrs in the US ARMY.

I think you would also get some face time on the news as being a champion of senior citizens and farmers who have had their land and livelyhoods stolen away.

Contact me ASAP if you are interested in doing the "right" thing.

IM or post is fine

So you get any PM's yet?

This story sounds like there's a lot of information missing. I'd love to hear the other side of it.

I agree. From what I read so far you have an expired lease and the rent payments were not paid on time as well.

So to clarify had the current farmer made all lease pmts on time?? If not I wouldn't expect him to get to lease the ground again.

Also if this lease is expired, why didn't the current farmer have a new lease negotiated and in place well before the expiration of the current one?

I'm not a lawyer but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last week!

What is needed is advice, and if needed representation in order to stop the fleecing of a widowed simple elderly farmer.

I take it that youi are looking for free legal help.

Contact a local bar association. At least some bar associations, as a condition for membership, require their members to contribute some number of hours of free legal assistance each year. I once got some free help like this, from a lawyer looking to help someone out. They're not all jerks, as the stereotype goes. So inquire and find out if there is someone willing to take the deal like this.

So you get any PM's yet?

This story sounds like there's a lot of information missing. I'd love to hear the other side of it.

I agree. From what I read so far you have an expired lease and the rent payments were not paid on time as well.

So to clarify had the current farmer made all lease pmts on time?? If not I wouldn't expect him to get to lease the ground again.

Also if this lease is expired, why didn't the current farmer have a new lease negotiated and in place well before the expiration of the current one?

what?

The elderly guy has owned the land for over 45 yrs.

He leased it for a period of years for a one time fee.

The corporate farmer says the debt is unpaid even though the period of lease is over.

The corporate farmer want interest on the money that was given initially and that was not stated in the contract.

If you take the mony exchanged and divide it by the period of time the lease was only paying half of the value of land leased locally at that time.

Now the corporate guy is saying he wants the land in exchange for the interest owed.

So you get any PM's yet?

what?

The elderly guy has owned the land for over 45 yrs.

He leased it for a period of years for a one time fee.

The corporate farmer says the debt is unpaid even though the period of lease is over.

The corporate farmer want interest on the money that was given initially and that was not stated in the contract.

If you take the mony exchanged and divide it by the period of time the lease was only paying half of the value of land leased locally at that time.

Now the corporate guy is saying he wants the land in exchange for the interest owed.

I'm with Opie this whole story doesn't add up the way you are telling it. If the farmer owns this land are had it rented out to another farm then why does he owe anything. I have a fealing that you may have some of the facts mixed up.

Stick on SC, perhaps Lawrocket might have some good advice mate - either way, I'm sure you'll get some reasonable answers......:S
:)

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

Sorry but I'm still lost[:/]

You're saying the elderly man has owned the land for the last 45 years?
He leased the ground to someone in that time?
He leased the ground from someone prior to the last 45 years?

No shit. I found it hard to follow the scrambled original description too. Then the OP gets mad at people who don't get it.

I hope the Innocent Old Man With A Veteran Son can spell it out more clearly for the judge.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Sorry but I'm still lost[:/]

You're saying the elderly man has owned the land for the last 45 years?

He leased the ground to someone in that time?

He leased the ground from someone prior to the last 45 years?

Yea he lost me too.:S

If the old (I don't consider 68 old) farmer owns the land I don't see how someone could sue him for the land unless he did something against the lease. It sort of sounds like he may have been renting the land cheep and wanted to raise the rent while it was still under the lease. The only other thing I can think of is that the farm who is renting the land planted it to winter wheat last fall knowing he would loose the lease this year and is now taking him to court to be able to harvest the wheat this next summer. I'm not shure about Wisconsin but I know in New York that you have the leagel right to harvest a crop of wheat unless it was specified in the lease you needed permision to plant the wheat in the first place.

I'm sure I've lost almost everyone but you with that explanation by now.;)

Maybe diverdad could shed some lite on this since he farms in Wisconsin.

Also I'd like to know what warpedskydiver is considering a big corperate farm? If I had more details maybe I could help. I'm sure you and I have seen more farm leases than anyone else on this bord ever will.:P

Wow. After reading the first post I am really confused. Maybe if it could be explained a little better with all the emotion taken out first and with just the facts. :S

Let me see if I have it somewhat straight. The landlord (the 68year old man with the son who served in the army for 23 years, and of course is a simple old farmer) leased his land to another farmer (the big, mean corporate farmer with no conscience) for a period of time. Now the lessee is trying to take the landlords land from him. Is that correct? Ok. I am going to guess the landlord had an agrreement with the lessee. IF the amount paid was agreed on and the lessee paid it then it is settled. From the description that warpedskydiver gave I am guessing the landlord leased the land to the other farmer for a set number of years and when the price of commodities started the rise, got greedy and wants more rent than was agreed upon or wants out of the contract to rent to someone else whom offered him more. IF that is the case I am guessing the renter is trying to hold him to the agreement that they both agreed to. IF this is the case I have to side with the other farmer. Should the renter offer to pay the landlord a bonus for his land? Maybe it would be a goodwill gesture and nothing more. Does he have to? No. If this more accurately describes what happened,the landlord needs to suck it up for the duration of the contract. When the contract is over, rent to someone else.

If that is what happened then it describes the problem that some landowners are having right now, GREED. Some renters are entering into contracts with good faith and then the landlords are trying to break it to get higher rents.

I hope I understood this correctly. If not, wardskydiver, you need to explain it better and give more facts and less emotion.

Maybe this will be less of a problem if corn keeps heading south like it did on Friday. [:/]

Scott

Hey who cares what you think, if you are not going to offer any helpful information then please don't bother yourself.

I am merely trying to help someone elses 68 year old dad.

I stated the facts, the corporate guy that leased the fields is simply trying to pull a fast one on an old man.

Quit freaking out about people posting stuff and explain it better. I have no idea what the hell you are trying to say. Your first post was incoherent and I read legal babble crap all the time because I work at a law firm (coincidentally in wisconsin)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka