sundevil777

If you care about global warming

You should be a vegetarian. :D

http://goveg.com/environment-globalwarming.asp

Perhaps Gore can buy meat offset credits instead of becoming a vegetarian.

I haven't eaten meat (on purpose) since 1980. My primary reason, however, was aesthetic, the secondary reason was health. I really don't care about the cruelty to animals reasons. But now, I can claim environmental points!
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Isn'tt he methane the animals produce merely a factor of their vegetarian diet? Thus, if humans were to eliminate eating meat and only eat vegetables, wouldn't our dumps make up for the methane released by those vegetable eaters?

Edited to add - by the way, rice feeds mosts of the world. Rice paddies also produce HUGE amounts of methane and nitrous oxide - probably more than cows.

Solution? Change the way rice is grown, starve a few hundred million people, or eat more meat.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

There is a lot more to the total picture than just cow farts and cow poop. You gotta look at the BIG picture, the whole impact. :D

I really have no idea if PETA's analysis is valid. But, if you're big on reducing global warming, they say it is very important, so such a person should do it, right? Darryl Hannah is a vegetarian. Darryl Hannah...mmm. :ph34r:

I wonder if that Billvon is a vegetarian? If not, then he should be looking to buy meat eater's offset credits. :D
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

> Isn'tt he methane the animals produce merely a factor of their vegetarian diet?

Nope, it's because they are ruminants. Ruminants use massive amounts of specialized bacteria in one of their many stomachs to break down cellulose into sugars the animal can use; methane is one by-product. We have bacteria in our gut as well, but they are tame by comparison. They don't break down cellulose and they (usually) don't produce much methane.

>Edited to add - by the way, rice feeds mosts of the world. Rice paddies
>also produce HUGE amounts of methane and nitrous oxide - probably
>more than cows.

Quite true! But our methane and nitrous oxide emissions contribute only 18% and 9% of the overall warming effect respectively. CO2 contributes over 70%. Put another way, if you had your very own rice paddy and cattle range, you would generate less greenhouse gas than if you had vegetables shipped to you from, say, South America. The ideal, of course, would be to buy locally-grown produce and eat primarily vegetarian, but that's not always practical.

Are you a vegetarian?

Not only do I not need cows or pigs or chickens to eat, I also want to kill all the deer near any public roads (another ruminant).

I am so environmentally conscious. :)