Loonix

Lullabies from the axis of evil

New York-based Valley Entertainment has been blacklisted by the Bush administration for distributing a CD titled "Lullabies from the axis of evil". On this CD, women from Iran, Iraq, Palestina, Syria, Afghanistan, North-Korea and Cuba sings lullabies in duet with western artists.

The only reference I could find on it is in norwegian, for those who are compatible...
http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/kultur/1.1963936

So... What on earth is the deal with THAT??

How do you expect us to respond without knowing what the story is about.

What do you mean by blacklisted? Many people think that criticizing something is the same as censorship, which I think is bullshit.

Why would anyone have a problem with a lullaby? You have to at least give us a hint of what is objectionable and what you mean by 'blacklisting'.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

How do you expect us to respond without knowing what the story is about.

There isn't much in the various articles I read on it, I basically wrote all there was, except...

What do you mean by blacklisted? Many people think that criticizing something is the same as censorship, which I think is bullshit.

Well, it is written quite vague in the article as well, but this company is on a list that "the bush administration will not cooperate with". I guess my point is that they are actually taking the time to do this with a cd containing lullabies.

Why would anyone have a problem with a lullaby? You have to at least give us a hint of what is objectionable and what you mean by 'blacklisting'.

Yes, why would anyone have a problem with that?

some background...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A62937-2004Oct25?language=printer
http://www.theage.com.au/news/Music/Quiet-voices-of-reason-put-peace-on-track/2005/01/28/1106415746461.html

or google.

New York-based Valley Entertainment has been blacklisted by the Bush administration for ...

Blacklisted? What does this mean? The whitehouse staff will no longer purchase their CDs?

Try reading my second post.

For what it's worth, it means this record company will not recieve any state cultural funding. But the more important part, I'd say, is the impact of having the government work against you.

Now, dorbie, to the point, since you clearly missed it: The Bush administration takes the time to work against a record company for releasing a CD, simply because it is critical to their war. Don't you have a problem with that?

New York-based Valley Entertainment has been blacklisted by the Bush administration for ...

Blacklisted? What does this mean? The whitehouse staff will no longer purchase their CDs?

For what it's worth, it means this record company will not recieve any state cultural funding. But the more important part, I'd say, is the impact of having the government work against you.

Now, dorbie, to the point, since you clearly missed it: The Bush administration takes the time to work against a record company for releasing a CD, simply because it is critical to their war. Don't you have a problem with that?

I certainly hope they don't receive any "state cultural funding".

Exactly how is the government "taking the time to work against (them)"?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I certainly hope they don't receive any "state cultural funding".

Even if other companies like them does recieve such funding?

Exactly how is the government "taking the time to work against (them)"?

By officially blacklisting them.

You are evading the point as well. Do you or do you not have a problem with the government interfering like this? This CD, promoting peace, is obviosuly seen as some sort of threat. You don't think this "blacklisting" means anything at all, is that it? Perhaps you think random blacklisting of music is common, and should be accepted?

Loonix, I think what people are asking is, what form does this "blacklisting" take? What form does "refusing to cooperate with them" take? Simply saying the at the WH is blacklisting them by...blacklisting them is not an answer. We need specifics, please, so that we may evaluate the story. If I was helping one of my teenage kids with a term paper and the writing had this lack of clarity, I wouldn't let them turn it in. If I was the teacher, I'd give it a "D".

By officially blacklisting them.

What the hell is an official blacklist? Where do I find this list? At http://blacklist.gov?

What's the effect of this list? Am I prohibited from listening to anything on the list? Is it a felony or just a misdemeanor?

Do you or do you not have a problem with the government interfering like this? This CD, promoting peace, is obviosuly seen as some sort of threat. You don't think this "blacklisting" means anything at all, is that it? Perhaps you think random blacklisting of music is common, and should be accepted?

We don't have a clue what you're talking about! What does "blacklisting" mean? We can't think anything pro or con about it until you tell us what it is!

Jeez! This thread is reading like something posted by warpedskydiver.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Even if other companies like them does recieve such funding?

From what source are such similar companies receiving funding? Is it the National Endowment for the Arts or what? I would support a decision to NOT fund with taxpayer dollars this type of art.

Similar to the 'blaclisting' comments of others, we can't comment usefully without more information.