MSNBC Says Wounded Veterans Living in Filth

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17160574/

MSNBC.com

WP: Battling system at Walter Reed
Wounded soldiers face neglect, frustration at Army’s top medical facility
By Dana Priest and Anne Hull
The Washington Post
Updated: 5:43 a.m. ET Feb 18, 2007

WASHINGTON - Behind the door of Army Spec. Jeremy Duncan's room, part of the wall is torn and hangs in the air, weighted down with black mold. When the wounded combat engineer stands in his shower and looks up, he can see the bathtub on the floor above through a rotted hole. The entire building, constructed between the world wars, often smells like greasy carry-out. Signs of neglect are everywhere: mouse droppings, belly-up cockroaches, stained carpets, cheap mattresses.

This is the world of Building 18, not the kind of place where Duncan expected to recover when he was evacuated to Walter Reed Army Medical Center from Iraq last February with a broken neck and a shredded left ear, nearly dead from blood loss. But the old lodge, just outside the gates of the hospital and five miles up the road from the White House, has housed hundreds of maimed soldiers recuperating from injuries suffered in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The common perception of Walter Reed is of a surgical hospital that shines as the crown jewel of military medicine. But 5 1/2 years of sustained combat have transformed the venerable 113-acre institution into something else entirely -- a holding ground for physically and psychologically damaged outpatients. Almost 700 of them -- the majority soldiers, with some Marines -- have been released from hospital beds but still need treatment or are awaiting bureaucratic decisions before being discharged or returned to active duty.

They suffer from brain injuries, severed arms and legs, organ and back damage, and various degrees of post-traumatic stress. Their legions have grown so exponentially -- they outnumber hospital patients at Walter Reed 17 to 1 -- that they take up every available bed on post and spill into dozens of nearby hotels and apartments leased by the Army. The average stay is 10 months, but some have been stuck there for as long as two years.

Not all of the quarters are as bleak as Duncan's, but the despair of Building 18 symbolizes a larger problem in Walter Reed's treatment of the wounded, according to dozens of soldiers, family members, veterans aid groups, and current and former Walter Reed staff members interviewed by two Washington Post reporters, who spent more than four months visiting the outpatient world without the knowledge or permission of Walter Reed officials. Many agreed to be quoted by name; others said they feared Army retribution if they complained publicly.

While the hospital is a place of scrubbed-down order and daily miracles, with medical advances saving more soldiers than ever, the outpatients in the Other Walter Reed encounter a messy bureaucratic battlefield nearly as chaotic as the real battlefields they faced overseas.

On the worst days, soldiers say they feel like they are living a chapter of "Catch-22." The wounded manage other wounded. Soldiers dealing with psychological disorders of their own have been put in charge of others at risk of suicide.

Disengaged clerks, unqualified platoon sergeants and overworked case managers fumble with simple needs: feeding soldiers' families who are close to poverty, replacing a uniform ripped off by medics in the desert sand or helping a brain-damaged soldier remember his next appointment.

"We've done our duty. We fought the war. We came home wounded. Fine. But whoever the people are back here who are supposed to give us the easy transition should be doing it," said Marine Sgt. Ryan Groves, 26, an amputee who lived at Walter Reed for 16 months. "We don't know what to do. The people who are supposed to know don't have the answers. It's a nonstop process of stalling."

Max where are you, please comment on this I suspect this is a lie.

If it isn't I am outraged.

As someone who is a patient at WRAMC right now, I can say that I've never been to bldg 18, but I've heard it's awful.

The bureaucracy is a sad fact of life here. I won't dispute any particular point on the article.

However, I can say that the article does not touch on the overwhelming amount of good stuff that happens here.

I'm one of the "peer visitors" here, I make a point to the newcomers that are here to encourage them to take charge of their recovery -- that in itself makes a huge difference. Not every soldier is able to do that, and that is a failing of the system to an extent. It also helps if family is able to be here too, but not everyone can do that.

The article saddens me, as I'm one of the "good news" stories here. I am very frustrated by the treatment of some of the wounded here, not by the hospital, but by the administrative side of the house. That said, the treatment here overall is very very good -- better than anywhere else.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

This country asks a great deal of the men and women who serve our military, particularly in the first war of the 21st century. We put a lot of fine troops into harm's way to make this country more secure and the world more free and the world more peaceful. We ask them to face great dangers to meet a national need. In return, we have made a commitment. We have made a commitment to the troops, and we have made a commitment to their loved ones, and that commitment is that we will provide excellent health care--excellent care--to anybody who is injured on the battlefield.
George W. Bush, December 18, 2003

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Sadly some of the major cuts during the Clinton years came from the Military Medical System.

But the quote from Kallend is Ironic as it seams to be better a system, but not by much and obviously some of the funds went into the "dog and pony show" and not the care of the soldiers.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

This country asks a great deal of the men and women who serve our military, particularly in the first war of the 21st century. We put a lot of fine troops into harm's way to make this country more secure and the world more free and the world more peaceful. We ask them to face great dangers to meet a national need. In return, we have made a commitment. We have made a commitment to the troops, and we have made a commitment to their loved ones, and that commitment is that we will provide excellent health care--excellent care--to anybody who is injured on the battlefield.
George W. Bush, December 18, 2003

I can say that the commitment is largely being met.
Make light!

I'll take your word on it as an expert as your using the system. So if I am wrong I stand corrected.

Now hurry up and fly to work already!
(after your din din on Friday of course)

You have a Demo for NASCAR on the 7th of April!

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I concur with Gawain's statement above. I had outpatient surgery done at WRAMC awhile back and I don't dispute the articles veracity as I have not been to bldg 18 neither. However the amount of positive things that happen there every day is quite impressive and often untold to the public. I know for a fact that the best Dr.s and treatment is available there but likewise, the bureaucracy of DC is ever present. That and the overwelming fact that the influx of patients is more than likely at its all time highest since Vietnam. While I don't doubt that their could be needed improvements in several areas, I do know that the medical care given is top notch.If there are substandard living conditions then by all means, they need to be brought to someones attention.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Re: [Gawain]

-- better than anywhere else.

Re: [LouDiamond]

I know for a fact that the best Dr.s and treatment is available there

I'm not disputing your statements, but I'm curious ...how do you know this?
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

I've been a patient (wounded) and recovering there for nearly a year.
Make light!

Maybe George Bush doesn't give speeches in Building 18.

I too, have been a patient there as well.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

As I said, I'm glad you are getting good treatment.

That doesn't explain the basis for your comparative statements.
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

Here's one basis, http://www.itv.com/news/wounded_51a899b7b687f160bac57d92bcdfbc81.html.

Also, I've greeted, spoken to, and/or seen visitors who come to WRAMC to see how to improve their own facilities. These visitors have come from emerging to well developed nations, including UK, ROK, Russia, Pakistan to name a few. Plus, WRAMC sends its staff (mostly GS employees) to other countries to provide care or treatment that isn't available otherwise. One recent example is my prosthetist went to Germany to make equipment for amputee NATO soldiers injured in Afghanistan (soldiers from Romania, and one other eastern European country I can't recall).

The US is the only country with a dedicated Veterans arm in the government, with dedicated Veterans treatment facilities.

The article in the OP points out some problems that I will say do exist, and need improvement. Does that mean WRAMC is not living up to its promise? No.
Make light!

Here's one basis, http://www.itv.com/news/wounded_51a899b7b687f160bac57d92bcdfbc81.html.

Also, I've greeted, spoken to, and/or seen visitors who come to WRAMC to see how to improve their own facilities. These visitors have come from emerging to well developed nations, including UK, ROK, Russia, Pakistan to name a few. .

Do they show the visitors around Bldg. 18?

I bet Bubba Jeff never did either...but he "felt their pain", I'm sure... [:/]
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

No John I am asking for journalisatic integrity, the story may be true or false, but without video or pictures how will anyone know if it is true, or not?

Well, Gawain wrote:

"As someone who is a patient at WRAMC right now, I can say that I've never been to bldg 18, but I've heard it's awful."

Isn't that good enough for you?

John I know for a fact that Max KNOWS what he is talking about, I want pictures to prove the story's veracity and then in turn to shame our politicians from both sides of the aisle with this.

This is not a partisan debate and should never be.

Anyone wanting to use our troops health and recovery as a political tool is a TOOL.

That includes Posters.

If this simple statement of fairness offends anyone, fuck off.

I bet Bubba Jeff never did either...but he "felt their pain", I'm sure... [:/]

Whoosh.

Let me explain: GWB DOES give speeches in the showcase part of Walter Reed. Apparently his itinerary doesn't include Bldg. 18.