skinnyflyer

there's plenty of oil + natural resources to last us centuries

I'm sick and tired of hearing about doomers saying that we're running out of oil, we're running out of natural gas, etc. etc. at current consumption levels THERE'S ENOUGH OIL, NATURAL GAS, AND OTHER NATURAL RESSOURCES TO LAST CENTURIES. so stop worrying, take out that second mortgage on the house and swing down to the dealership to pick up that brand new hummer you can't stop thinking about.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2376190597731898896
"Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives."
A. Sachs

>THERE'S ENOUGH OIL, NATURAL GAS, AND OTHER NATURAL RESSOURCES TO LAST CENTURIES.

Yeah, and Pennsylvania will never run out of oil! And pollution never hurt anyone. And cigarettes are good for you. A lot of people believe in what makes them feel better about themselves and their situations, but not even the most optimistic geologist thinks we have centuries of easily-drillable oil out there.

Uh, BTW, the guy in the video you posted said coal will run out in about 60 years and oil will run out in about 10 years. Some quotes which are applicable to this thread:

-----------------
We must educate all our people to an understanding of the arithmetic and consequences of growth, especially in terms of population and the earth's finite resources.

We must educate all our people to recognize the fact that growth of populations and growth of rates of consumption cannot be sustained.

We need to educate people to examine carefully the claims of the optimists that ensure us that technological fixes will always be found whenever they are needed . . . they are confident that expanding populations and economies can always be sustained.
-------------
If the only ultimate check on population growth is misery, then the population will grow until it is miserable enough to stop its growth.

I'm sick and tired of hearing about doomers saying that we're running out of oil, we're running out of natural gas, etc. etc. at current consumption levels THERE'S ENOUGH OIL, NATURAL GAS, AND OTHER NATURAL RESSOURCES TO LAST CENTURIES. so stop worrying, take out that second mortgage on the house and swing down to the dealership to pick up that brand new hummer you can't stop thinking about.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2376190597731898896

Most 2nd graders have more sense than to make a wild statement like this. I guess being in denial of a serious problem is kind of handy though. By denying that we have a serious problem, we can all go on living like pigs, never planning for the next generations future, and never doing anything to solve the problem. I couldn't disagree with you more. Those must be some really strong rose colored glasses you have on....Steve1

>the point of the post is for people to watch the video but obviously none
>of you did.

Uh, I did - and his point was sorta the opposite of what you claim in your original post. Even at our current rate of consumption the oil we have left won't last centuries - and we are NOT keeping the same rate of consumption.

the point of the post is for people to watch the video but obviously none of you did.

I started to watch it but when I looked at the timer and saw that it is over an hour long, I stopped. I don't have time to sit and watch a youtube vid for an hour.

Maybe a rundown would be in order? Just the highlights would be fine.

I don't have time to sit and watch a youtube vid for an hour.

no one said you had to.

sorry you really need to watch it. all i can say is that its a 13 year old clip in which prof. albert bartlett brilliantly explains the greatest problem facing humanity namely overpopulation and our inability to understand the exponentiel function.
"Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives."
A. Sachs

no one said you had to.

sorry you really need to watch it. all i can say is that its a 13 year old clip in which prof. albert bartlett brilliantly explains the greatest problem facing humanity namely overpopulation and our inability to understand the exponentiel function.

Of course nobody has to watch it, so why the sarcasm when nobody does? I'll bet if you gave a link to a vid that was 5-10 minutes long a lot more people would take time to watch it.

no one said you had to.

And when the rising sea level starts displacing 100s of millions of people, things will really get interesting.

ok i guess i overdid the sarcasm

I thought the image of the pink elephant in the room was clever for those who don't understand sarcasm in written form, but hey, you're in SC. People are looking for a fight. Keep up the sarcasm. It keeps us on our toes. ;)

steveOrino

What pisses me off is that when the oil companies claim something happened completely unrelated to oil whatsoever and raise the prices, they have millions of barrels of reserves still sitting there. That makes no sense whatsoever.

You can't even flush a toilet anymore without being afraid the oil companies will use it as an excuse to price gouge.

If I had 1000 cartons of cigarettes in a store that I owned which I purchased for $10.00 (just an example) on Monday and prices rose $5.00 on Friday and I still had 950 cartons left and I started charging an extra $5.00 for the cartons that I already had that is total bullshit and a ripoff, because I didn't pay $5.00 more for the cartons I already had.

The oil companies are allowed do it though.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

the point of the post is for people to watch the video but obviously none of you did.

Okay, I'll tone it down a little. I admit I didn't watch the video. I should know better than to drink a couple beers and then go into the Speakers Corner. I sometimes get down right mean and narrow minded.

Sarcasm is sometimes hard to write. I've cracked jokes on here that I thought were hillarious, and then others took them personal, so I apologize if I was out of line....Maybe I need to watch that video....Steve1

Well in case you hadn't noticed, North American natural gas and oil production have already peaked, and are trending downward. The rest of the world? I sure hope we are not at the maximum number of barrels of oil which can be produced per year, but it doesn't look good. Nobody who has a clue thinks there's enough oil to last centuries at current consumption rates. You don't even understand the question let alone the answer.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

The end of this is that no one person will be immune to the effects, Not Billvon and his electric bicycle, not the local asswipe in his Hummer H2, No One.

Worst case scenario-we start looking like North Korea in terms of infrastructure, and wars will rip the world apart over the last few drops of Go-Juice.

Airplanes will cease to fly, and we'll see other means of transport. Perhaps Sailships suddenly become the way to go across the pond.

No more iPods shipped to your door in 3 days from China.

Game Fucking over.

Edit for spelling.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.