Zipp0

From God's Lips(FoxNews) to Your (fair and balanced) Ears - Man Causes Global Warming

>Mama earth couldn't care less. In fact, she'd probably be glad to get rid of us.

Probably true. The question is - should we be doing our very best to hasten that day? Or should we perhaps consider postponing it a bit?

By all means we should be working towards making our impact on the environment as small as possible, no argument there. But I don't see that happening to any great extent in the near future. I think the best thing that could happen to promote alternative energy sources would be for oil prices to climb. Gasoline at $5/gal. would make a pretty good incentive for a lot of people.

>By all means we should be working towards making our impact on
> the environment as small as possible, no argument there. But I
> don't see that happening to any great extent in the near future. I
> think the best thing that could happen to promote alternative
> energy sources would be for oil prices to climb. Gasoline at $5/gal.
> would make a pretty good incentive for a lot of people.

Yep. I think the level of 'pain' for most people is currently $3 a gallon. That's the level where I actually heard people suggest that they might drive a bit slower to save money.

While I hope gas prices rise as well, my hope is that they rise at a rate that we can manage them. If they go to $3 next year, then get to $5 within a few years and stay there for a while, that will be enough time to get biodiesel/methane/alcohol/pluggable hybrids on the road. If we manage to keep them low for 5 years, then they shoot to $12 a gallon due to reaching maximum pumping capacity at the same time everyone in China buys an SUV, our economy will not survive.

>By all means we should be working towards making our impact on
> the environment as small as possible, no argument there. But I
> don't see that happening to any great extent in the near future. I
> think the best thing that could happen to promote alternative
> energy sources would be for oil prices to climb. Gasoline at $5/gal.
> would make a pretty good incentive for a lot of people.

Yep. I think the level of 'pain' for most people is currently $3 a gallon. That's the level where I actually heard people suggest that they might drive a bit slower to save money.

While I hope gas prices rise as well, my hope is that they rise at a rate that we can manage them. If they go to $3 next year, then get to $5 within a few years and stay there for a while, that will be enough time to get biodiesel/methane/alcohol/pluggable hybrids on the road. If we manage to keep them low for 5 years, then they shoot to $12 a gallon due to reaching maximum pumping capacity at the same time everyone in China buys an SUV, our economy will not survive.

The time horizon for most politicians is the next election, and for CEOs is 3 months. As for the average American's ability to plan for the future, bea.gov/briefrm/saving.htm

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

We all saw what happened when gas hit $3 here in the States...ethanol plants being planned everywhere. Too bad it takes almost as much energy to produce the ethanol as the ethanol contains, not very efficient. Ethanol plants need to be located near hydroelectric plants and places where wind and/or solar energy can be harnessed for the distillation.
I'm not sure what the emmisions are for ethanol, maybe someone else can fill us in.
Methanol is familiar to me...not something you want cars running on if you get stuck in rush hour traffic.:P

While I hope gas prices rise as well, my hope is that they rise at a rate that we can manage them. If they go to $3 next year, then get to $5 within a few years and stay there for a while, that will be enough time to get biodiesel/methane/alcohol/pluggable hybrids on the road.

Obviously you did not read the my post just above the one I am replying to, or you did not understand the implications.

I am paying $6,30 a gallon for gasoline! I don't see people here in a huge rush to get biodiesel, methane, alcohol, plugable hybrids on the road. Why should it be any different in the U.S ?
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

Law rocket you mind is twisted by your career.

by your rationale if you were told you had lung cancer, you would continue to smoke because you are already dead anyway!

that is a lazy, selfish and pathetic mindset. but you are american i suppose?

what are you driving a 4.0? nah, you're a lawyer it must be a 5.0. It compliments the career.

Gas er up mate and take her to 100 just for kicks.

[:/]
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

You don't see a difference in the average size of a vehicle in Europe and North America??? Are there a lot of Escalades driving around on the autobahn? The average European car is already a lot more efficient than it's American counterpart. This has a lot to do with the fact that free gasoline isn't seen as a human right.

/Martin

>I am paying $6,30 a gallon for gasoline! I don't see people here in a huge rush to get biodiesel . . .

Gas prices are similar in the UK, and people are actually buying cooking oil for use in vehicles (which is biodiesel.) They don't buy it at the pump because it's taxed very heavily when used as a fuel. That tells me that there's demand, but the taxation structure is such that alternatives are discouraged.

That tells me that there's demand, but the taxation structure is such that alternatives are discouraged.

I agree with you there.
So why doesn't the U.K. or in my case the German goverment offer bio fuels tax free? That would convince even a raging global warming skeptic like me to change to bio fuel.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

Law rocket you mind is twisted by your career.

Naw, my mind was twisted all along. I just found a good use for it.

by your rationale if you were told you had lung cancer, you would continue to smoke because you are already dead anyway!

If I was a smoker, I probably would. If it makes my death a little less slow and painful, I don't see a problem with that. All I'd do is regret that I let that happen.

that is a lazy, selfish and pathetic mindset.

Lazy? Why is that lazy? Selfish? Yeah, it IS selfish. I am selfish because I am a human being. I don't deny my selfishness, and I appreciate the selfishness of OTHERS, like yourself, who don't wish to tolerate my behaviors. By calling me "selfish" it shows that you are being "selfish." Why? Because you want me to put your needs before mine.

I own it. I keep it real. I am a selfish man.

pathetic mindset

I dont need your pity, or anybody else's. I don't want anybody else feeling sorry for me. I wallow in my own misfortune just fine, and need nobody else's help. I prefer to put forth a stoic exterior to hide the emotional ravage within because I don't want people's sympathy.

what are you driving a 4.0? nah, you're a lawyer it must be a 5.0. It compliments the career.

A 3.0 liter V-6. I average about 23 miles per gallon out of it. I could have gone with an SUV, but I figured a 4-door sedan with a 5-star safety rating on an unwind with zero percent financing was more fitting. My car is a shitty looking car - a 2002 Mercury Sable. Nothing fancy, no designer labels, etc. I just wanted something with low operating costs and comfort.

I'm a total nerd - a dork, even. My wife wonders why on earth I got a car that looks like that. Well, my dick is big enough that I don't need to be smug about having a hybrid (though I will be in the market for one in a couple of years), I don't need an SUV (though we also have a Volvo XC-90 - another vehicle with a 5-star safety rating and room for the kids), and I sure don't need a sports car (high operating costs, no room for the kids, and I have not yet hit the male menopause).

With your comments, I'd say I need to work on my image so that people would think I'm more caring, compassionate, and an all-around good guy. So, here's my first and grand attempt at getting compassion:

February 6, 2007
(Reuters)
FRESNO, California - an unknown local attorney and somewhat known poster on dropzone.com, screen name lawrocket, held a press-conference to issue a statement to everyone:

"On the basis of my comments, which some have viewed as being lazy, selfish, and pathetic, I wish to inform all posters that I have had some problems. Therefore, I will enter rehab to deal with these problems."

The single reporter present questioned him, "What is the problem?" The response, "Well, I am not an alcoholic, don't smoke or do drugs. My problem is that I have no self-esteem."

When questioned further, he revealed that rehab is the new black - it's hip and cool and people use it to restore their images. And he needs self-esteem.

"My problem is that I don't drive a gas guzzler, I don't party, I love and respect my wife. I work and then go home to my kids. People don't notice me," he added. "I suffer low self-esteem. I need rehab to build my self-esteem. Only when I build my self esteem, can I get away with telling people they are lazy and selfish.

That starts with rehab."

My wife is hotter than your wife.