Michele

Liberalism in the Classroom (Long, but I need your opinion)

That was my point here, the cons stick together regardless of facts, truth, etc.

that's true for both the cons and the libs and doesn't really relate to the thread

but it might be fun to watch people argue it anyway

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. You barely even addressed my post, nor other posts from different posters advocating the same thing, I think you even dismissed teh idea of calling off the fight and would stand your ground. Then NClimber jumps in with it and it's a great idea. Pretend all day that it's about giving credit to a con buddy, I couldn't give a shit less.

That would explain your low participation in this thread.

She used the term first.

I was only repeating her description.

Yep, that was my description.

And apparently, I can't even pass the class with a B no matter how I do on the final. So now I'm considering both how dumb I am, and how fucked this makes the whole situation.

I can either stay in class, and perhaps manage a C, or deliberately fail the final and get an F...which would allow me to process "grade forgiveness" and replace the grade after repeating the class for a higher score. It's a gamble...but it's also a decision I need to make.

No, I didn't do well on the exam. Not well at all. Matter of fact, I did very poorly. So I'm rather upset with everything now, and would appreciate the damned bickering stopped.

Thank you.

Fuck.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I've noted that nobody can answer how politics affect chemical reactions as of yet.

If only life were that compartmentalized.

So open the compartment and refute my statement. Simple documentation showing different experiment results for Dems/Reps should do the trick nicely.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

So open the compartment and refute my statement. Simple documentation showing different experiment results for Dems/Reps should do the trick nicely.

Your ability to consistently recast everyone's intended meaning as a strawman argument is astounding.

I wonder if there's a market for that skill. If so, I think you've found a niche.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Your ability to consistently recast everyone's intended meaning as a strawman argument is astounding.

I wonder if there's a market for that skill. If so, I think you've found a niche.

Maybe it's because I think politics should be in the (dare I say it) political sciences department and not the chemistry lab?

I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have passed a chemistry exam by expounding on the difference between Dem and Rep environmental policies.

This will be my last post in this thread, since Michele has asked it be closed. Feel free to dispute in a new thread, however.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

One of the things I loved about my undergraduate years was the tangents our classroom discussions often took. It wasn't all worthwhile, but it was mostly interesting. Who didn't choose their professors based on the discussions you'd have in class? Well, I did graduate from a really small (1,000 students) liberal arts college.... One of my favorites was the philosophical discussion (philosophy class, of course) about how there really was nothing....n o t h i n g.....better than sex.

I'd not want my child's education to be limited to what's printed in the course descriptions in the catalogue, as I'm glad mine was broader than that.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

No, NCC has him cold on that skill.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Silly me - I was under the assumption that Chemistry was about science, not politics. YOU are the one that was saying there is a connection.

When I took an introductory chemistry class, my book mentioned the Bush administration's lack of attention to global warming. And most of my science books have mentioned bioethical concerns and such, and with issues such as stem cell research, this gets into politics. So I think that science and politics have to be concerned with each other to some extent.

She used the term first.

I was only repeating her description.

Yep, that was my description.

And apparently, I can't even pass the class with a B no matter how I do on the final. So now I'm considering both how dumb I am, and how fucked this makes the whole situation.

I can either stay in class, and perhaps manage a C, or deliberately fail the final and get an F...which would allow me to process "grade forgiveness" and replace the grade after repeating the class for a higher score. It's a gamble...but it's also a decision I need to make.

No, I didn't do well on the exam. Not well at all. Matter of fact, I did very poorly. So I'm rather upset with everything now, and would appreciate the damned bickering stopped.

Thank you.

Fuck.

Ciels-
Michele

Who gives a shit if anyone is bickering. You started a post about a real issue of yours which in turn caused arguments and bickering amongst the other forum users. Lucky for you it turned out well and you weren't flunked. However you have since worked yourself up over this whole issue that now you have in turn not put enough effort into the class itself and are in risk of failing.

If you dont want to deal with bickering anymore then dont read the fucking forums. Suck it up, study your ass off and pass the goddamn the class.

Good Luck
2 BITS....4 BITS....6 BITS....A DOLLAR!....ALL FOR THE GATORS....STAND UP AND HOLLER!!!!

Michele,

Sorry to hear about the poopy grade on your recent test. The final will cover stuff that you already got strong B's on, so it might be good to refresh on that first. If you can get a C overall, grab it and run. Heck, even a D is passing. It won't kill your GPA.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

When I took an introductory chemistry class, my book mentioned the Bush administration's lack of attention to global warming. And most of my science books have mentioned bioethical concerns and such, and with issues such as stem cell research, this gets into politics. So I think that science and politics have to be concerned with each other to some extent.

or, some would consider the books to be unnecessarily commentative and political when they really don't need to be

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

You started a post about a real issue of yours which in turn caused arguments and bickering amongst the other forum users.

Yes, and some good conversation has taken place.

Lucky for you it turned out well and you weren't flunked.

'Scuse me? Why do you think I'm lucky to not have been flunked, because I disagree with a professor's political opinion? In a chemistry class? A basic chem class? A polticial discussion about the 200 election where he lost his temper, shut class down? Right-e-o. Yep, I'm "lucky" to not have been flunked. :S

However you have since worked yourself up over this whole issue that now you have in turn not put enough effort into the class itself and are in risk of failing.

Oh, that's so full of bullhonkery that I don't even know where to start.

1. Please check your reading comprehension. I am NOT in danger of failing; rather, I am in danger of getting a C. The C will hurt my chances of acceptance when applying to other schools. I am considering taking a D or F so I can repeat/replace with a higher grade than a C, but that will cost me time.

2. Professor and I talked about how I'm studying for the exams. He has seen the pages and pages of practice exams. He has seen the correct, 100% scores on the practice exams. He has seen the pages and pages and pages of notes and practice problems taken from the web, the text, and his class. He has seen the callus and the blister on my fingers. He is completely aware of how hard I'm working...and also is completely aware that I have significant test anxiety when I have an exam involving numbers.

Just to note: In a 5 week class, I have over 100 pages of notes. I have an additional 200 pages of practice problems. Lined, college ruled, front and back. I have spent hours and hours and hours studying. I am not shirking that whatsoever. Matter of fact, I **know** I put in far more time than the average student in that class. And I know I put in far more time than 75% of the class.

Don't believe me? I don't give a flying rat's ass. He does; he's seen the evidence. He understands that I'm busting my ass, but when it comes time to prove it to him (via a test), I panick and don't do well. For whatever reason, for whatever freaking stupid shit that goes on in my head, I don't perform well on those parts of the exam. However, give me something that isn't math, and I get all available points. My exams have charts and notes on the back of them, all the stuff I've memorized and got into my head. I draw/write out the formulas, the strong acids, polyatomic ions, et cetera. And that doesn't help me pass the tests with the A I've studied for and worked for.

So Jarrod, you can kiss my happy *$$, 'cause it's not a matter of not studying or not being prepared; rather, it's a whole different matter (which you can research by looking up a post by me called "Performance Anxiety" in Bonfire). And I'm not in danger of failing; I'm in danger of getting a C, and I believe that isn't going to cut the mustard later on.

Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

or, some would consider the books to be unnecessarily commentative and political when they really don't need to be

And you are an expert on the needs of textbooks in chemistry?

I'm sure you are familiar with this extract from the accreditation requirements for undergraduate programs in chemistry in the USA:

Within chemistry courses themselves, advantage should be taken at all levels of course sophistication to point out the connections between science and society.

I'm sure you are also well aware that these accreditation guidelines also require consideration of professional ethics.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

How about you sack up and quit playing dodgeball on this one?

He did, the rest is just good old fashioned button-pushing fun.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2639908#2639908

applicability of subject matter to current events is fine, what this specific teacher was doing did NOT fit into the category of applying chemistry to "current events" - he crossed that line

K was talking about the first bit, it's been fun to poke at his with Michelle's example because it's a crappy (and unethical) example of application in gened curriculum. The worry, is the gened intent is abused too much by the many activist and extreme (lib and con) profs out there pushing their agendas - it is a problem in academia.

A student has 3 choices when the run across these types (every student will have one as some time, but it's not a huge hit rate if you think about it)

1 - Lucky's approach. (pragmatic) Kiss up to them and keep you 'real' opinions to yourself. If can do it, you get the grade and can laugh about the activist as you leave the class for the next one.

2 - Michelle's approach. (idealistic) Stick to your guns and argue. Feed's the teacher's ego and gets you in a position to be unfairly discriminated against.

3 - the rest of us. (mission focused) Ignore him except to remind him you are in a class that you are paying for. Deflates them but doesn't so much make it personal as just neutral.

however, 1 and 2 have the benefit of discovering if the teacher is vindictive/play's favorites and you can learn if they are a hypocrit where fairness and objectivity are in play

It kind of depends on what your goals are.....

and, I bet that students are just as guilty of it as teachers, but they aren't in the power structure so much

You're so wrong about me. I'm far more complex than to be one-faceted. I am sometimes the class bastard or the teacher's pet. I'm so fucking ergonomic in these matters that I choose the best position based upon the teacher's personality. Sometimes they morphh throughout the semester, usually not, usually tip their hand the first week.

How about you sack up and quit playing dodgeball on this one?

You REPEATEDLY have tried to misprepresent my position despite being shown over and over that your statements ARE misrepresentations. You fool no-one except yourself.

If you want to know what the requirements are for accreditation of colleges and universities and why things are done the way they are, read the book. I tried telling you but you don't believe me, so go to the source and have fun reading it.

Hey, baby steps, he has to quit misquoting b4 he quits misinterpreting. ;)

That's Kramer on Seinfeld..... tell me you know that.

Doh!!. My dumb. I thought maybe something I said got taken out of context. Completely missed who it was you were referring to.

Everyone knows you're not a racist, you're a transvestite, come on man :P

JOKE!!

At least I didn't call you a neo-con.... of course that would be foolish as we have none of those in here. ;)

That was my point here, the cons stick together regardless of facts, truth, etc.

that's true for both the cons and the libs and doesn't really relate to the thread

but it might be fun to watch people argue it anyway

I must disagree, the libs tend to argue some issues wheeas the cons are so much more organized and even sometimes undermine their personal beliefs in order to further the parties ideologies.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. You barely even addressed my post, nor other posts from different posters advocating the same thing, I think you even dismissed teh idea of calling off the fight and would stand your ground. Then NClimber jumps in with it and it's a great idea. Pretend all day that it's about giving credit to a con buddy, I couldn't give a shit less.

That would explain your low participation in this thread.

HAHAHAHA - good one, but like a pig in mud, I like to argue. :)

None the less, my point is valid.