Gene03

Wisconsin Hmong hunter found dead stay posted

It's possible that it means that the white racist was likely the aggressor in the incident...

But if the aggression was only in the form of verbal taunts, then the "sticks and stones" rule applies, and that is not justification for the Hmong man to shoot.

However, if the racist went beyond verbal, and threatened with a gun or knife, then all rules are off, and self defense rules apply.

Quote:
"According to James, Nichols was squirrel hunting about 4:30 p.m. Friday when he heard someone come up to him. 'He turns around and tells the guy that he needs to go to a different spot, that he was molesting his hunt and scaring the squirrels away,' she said. 'Jim said the guy started talking in gibberish that he couldn't understand and then fired at him.' "
It sounds a bit far-fetched to me that he would just shoot for no apparent reason...

Excuse my ignorance, but was he squirrel hunting with a gun or with a knife? How does one normally squirrel hunt? I woudl assume with a gun of some sort, so why would he (after getting shot twice) decide to engage the man with a knife iso his gun?

Something isn't making sense here.

It's possible that it means that the white racist was likely the aggressor in the incident...

But if the aggression was only in the form of verbal taunts, then the "sticks and stones" rule applies, and that is not justification for the Hmong man to shoot.

However, if the racist went beyond verbal, and threatened with a gun or knife, then all rules are off, and self defense rules apply.

Quote:
"According to James, Nichols was squirrel hunting about 4:30 p.m. Friday when he heard someone come up to him. 'He turns around and tells the guy that he needs to go to a different spot, that he was molesting his hunt and scaring the squirrels away,' she said. 'Jim said the guy started talking in gibberish that he couldn't understand and then fired at him.' "
It sounds a bit far-fetched to me that he would just shoot for no apparent reason...

Excuse my ignorance, but was he squirrel hunting with a gun or with a knife? How does one normally squirrel hunt? I woudl assume with a gun of some sort, so why would he (after getting shot twice) decide to engage the man with a knife iso his gun?

A little more info is trickling out.
Nichols (white dude) hid the body in the public hunting grounds where the alleged incident occurred. He then went to the ER for the gunshot wounds.
How likely is it that he defended himself with a knife after being shot in each hand?
The local police say his story has changed several times while he's in custody for the felony firearms possession.
Nichols doesn't sound like a pillar of the community to me. And I'm sure local politics will have some bearing on the evidence collected at the crime scene and what will be presented as evidence.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Quote:

Check your solunar tables. It's dark around here at that time.
The story doesn't quite fit with what is known at this time, even though it's damn little. Something does indeed smell.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Wisconsin Hunter Charged in Slaying
Tuesday, January 16, 2007 4:17 PM EST
The Associated Press
By ROBERT IMRIE

MARINETTE, Wis. (AP) — A white man was charged Tuesday with murdering a Hmong hunter in the woods in a slaying that rekindled racial tensions in Wisconsin and raised fears among Southeast Asian immigrants that the killing was payback.

James Nichols, 28, shot and stabbed Cha Vang, 30, whose body was found Jan. 6 in a wildlife refuge near Green Bay where both were hunting squirrels, authorities said.

District Attorney Brent DeBord gave no motive for the killing, which Vang's family said appeared to be racially motivated.

Two years ago, a Hmong deer hunter shot six white hunters to death after being accused of trespassing in the Wisconsin woods. He said that the whites shouted racial epithets at him and opened fire first. He is serving multiple life sentences.

After Vang's slaying, members of the Hmong community said they feared it was retaliation for the earlier killings.

In court papers, prosecutors said that Nichols claimed that Vang shot him without provocation after Nichols told Vang to leave because he was interfering with his hunt. Nichols said the two then fought, and he killed Vang.

Nichols gave several versions of the shooting, and once claimed Vang said: "I'm going to kill you, I'm going to kill you," according to court papers.

Vang did not speak English, his widow has said.

"I know there are many people in the Hmong community and the community at large, that are wondering if this is a hate crime," Dick Campbell, spokesman for Vang's widow, said after the charges were announced. "I'm wondering that myself."

Vang's body was found covered with leaves and other debris in a depression in the woods after members of Vang's hunting party reported him missing. An autopsy indicated Vang had been hit with a shotgun blast and stabbed six times.

Sheriff's deputies arrested Nichols after he went to a hospital with a .22 caliber bullet lodged in his right hand and an injury to his other hand. He was charged with first-degree murder and other offenses.

If convicted, Nichols could get life in prison plus 39 years and a $50,000 fine.

Calls to Nichols' lawyer were not immediately returned.