jcd11235

If I were in charge...

I don't necessarily agree... but your view would be different than what we currently have, how?

The government currently has limits on the amount and type of investments. I want the limits removed and the type broadened.

I can agree with the general idea... I'd much rather have .gov entirely out of my retirement, though...

Other than saying "Neener neener it's all you own fault", what would you to about people whose investments went bad (such as investing in Enron) to prevent them from starving in the streets in old age?

If the government allowed people to opt out of Social Security and put that money in a 401k or some similar vehicle, then certain restrictions should be implemented, to limit the risk to those accounts.

For example - require 30% to be invested in interest bearing/bond vehicles, set a limit of 10% in stocks that are considered high risk as well as a 10% limit on an individual stock.

Who makes the call on "high risk" (or "not high risk"), and what if they are wrong?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Translation: Libertarians oppose extorting people's money at gunpoint to give to other people who need it more.

How do you think people were taken care of before Nanny-care started promising the cradle to grave gravy train? By their families and community charity.

Soup kitchens and Hoovervilles, eh? And free pauper's graves for those who starve. Great solution.

More hyperbole from the left...imagine that. I never realized we were in another Great Depression, John...thanks for pointing that out to me!

What part of "By their families and community charity" did you not understand? I know that won't be popular with the "womb-to-tomb" bunch, since that means they'd actually need to help take care of Grandma/Grandpa instead of shuffling them off to the nursing home...

YOU ASKED (paraphrasing) "what happened before....". Don't ask questions if you won't like the correct answer. I could also have mentioned workhouses.

Translation: Libertarians oppose extorting people's money at gunpoint to give to other people who need it more.

How do you think people were taken care of before Nanny-care started promising the cradle to grave gravy train? By their families and community charity.

Soup kitchens and Hoovervilles, eh? And free pauper's graves for those who starve. Great solution.

More hyperbole from the left...imagine that. I never realized we were in another Great Depression, John...thanks for pointing that out to me!

What part of "By their families and community charity" did you not understand? I know that won't be popular with the "womb-to-tomb" bunch, since that means they'd actually need to help take care of Grandma/Grandpa instead of shuffling them off to the nursing home...

YOU ASKED (paraphrasing) "what happened before....". Don't ask questions if you won't like the correct answer. I could also have mentioned workhouses.

Really? I didn't realize the entire sum of history was from the 1920's forward... thank you again!!

Your self-serving "answer", such as it was, was HARDLY correct... but I can see where it could seem like history started there, to the present-day Left.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Really? I didn't realize the entire sum of history was from the 1920's forward... thank you again!!

Your self-serving "answer", such as it was, was HARDLY correct... but I can see where it could seem like history started there, to the present-day Left.

You should look up the history of workhouses for the poor. They hardly started in 1920 (hint - read Oliver Twist). My answer was historically correct - everything I mentioned existed prior to the 1940s, along with starvation. You are a revisionist.

Everything but #5

Education is terribly over funded today. The problem is not money, it is the simple fact that success in the education system mean high attendance (that is how they get paid) Give parents choices and get rid of poor performers and there is more than enough money there already

I agree that education needs more in the way of reform than just throwing money at the problem. I don't, however, believe that education is over funded.

As for healthcare. Want to really screw it up? Let the government fund and run it. Want to fix it? (cost wise anyway) tort reform.

Our current healthcare system allows us to pay more and get less compared to many other first world nations. The problem is not malpractice lawsuits, either. Our system is fundamentally broken. As Andy908 said, we don't have to copy someone else's system, but it would be foolish not to learn what we can from other systems that appear to work better than our own.

As soon as you can show me one I will take a look. None even come close today
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Everything but #5

Education is terribly over funded today. The problem is not money, it is the simple fact that success in the education system mean high attendance (that is how they get paid) Give parents choices and get rid of poor performers and there is more than enough money there already

Streamline administration.
Fix special education.

An example: About 1/4 of the budget of LAUSD goes to special education, for about 1/10 of the students. This doesn't even account for all the legal fees for special education lawsuits filed by parents (about 1/3 of the budget of PYLUSD last year). (I'm citing data I acquired from the districts for a special education law research project)

Sure, there's enough money. They're just not spending it in the right places. LAUSD, with its multi-level management and huge administration overhead is just ridiculous. Also, I'm not saying special ed is the wrong place, but there's just something wrong with forcing school districts to defend lawsuit after lawsuit using taxpayer money. That's millions of dollars that should be going to educate kids that's ending up funding legal battles instead. Education funds shouldn't be paying lawyers until every kid has a textbook. Accepting IDEA and waiving our 11th amendment sovereign immunity rights was one of the dumbest things California has done.

Another perfect example!!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

You should look up the history of workhouses for the poor. They hardly started in 1920 (hint - read Oliver Twist). My answer was historically correct - everything I mentioned existed prior to the 1940s, along with starvation. You are a revisionist.

Again, John, you're ABSOLUTELY right... NO families or communities took care of their elderly...they just bunged them off into the workhouses when they were too old . Sorry, your attempts to redirect by showing worst-case scenarios aren't convincing me.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The question remains - how widespread were these workhouses, soup kitchens and hoovervilles throughout our history?

Were they commonplace in all eras? Or quite rare outside of the Great Depression? Are we talking about the norm or the exception?

You know, occasionally we hear about (sex) slavery in this country, but I think most Americans think slavery ended with the Civil War.

ACLU no longer able to threaten suit on a city or county whos the populus' vote goes against what they think is right for their special interests.

So if a township with a Muslim majority passes a local measure that bans citizens from public participation in Christian or Jewish ceremonies, the ACLU shouldn't be able to step in and file suit to protect the first amendment rights of those discriminated against? :S What do you have against an organization that is dedicated to protecting our constitutional rights?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

ACLU no longer able to threaten suit on a city or county whos the populus' vote goes against what they think is right for their special interests.

So if a township with a Muslim majority passes a local measure that bans citizens from public participation in Christian or Jewish ceremonies, the ACLU shouldn't be able to step in and file suit to protect the first amendment rights of those discriminated against? :S What do you have against an organization that is dedicated to protecting our constitutional rights?

Blues,
Dave

For one, I'd prefer they protect ALL of them...
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

In a perfect world, they would. But it doesn't make sense to hold a grudge against a private organization for only doing some good rather than all the good, does it? A bit of help is better than none at all.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

In a perfect world, they would. But it doesn't make sense to hold a grudge against a private organization for only doing some good rather than all the good, does it? A bit of help is better than none at all.

Blues,
Dave

I'm not disputing that they do some good, but they're definitely 180 out on the 2nd...
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I'm not disputing that they do some good, but they're definitely 180 out on the 2nd...

I'm in total agreement with you on that. Now can someone please change the record? This kum-bye-yah shit is totally inappropriate in Speaker's Corner! :S:D

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

I'm in total agreement with you on that. Now can someone please change the record? This kum-bye-yah shit is totally inappropriate in Speaker's Corner! :S:D

Blues,
Dave

:D:D:D Is *THAT* what that horrid droning was in the background?

No, wait..that's trance...sorry! :D:D:D
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Blues,
Dave

They're doing a bang up job on protecting the rights of sexual predators. [:/]

Blues,
Dave

Or that they are only for Free Speech as long as it isn't them being criticized.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/24/us/24aclu.html?ex=1306123200&en=cd9a5fd9f6948a5d&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Blues,
Dave

And so we're back to the Roman Catholic Church!

Again, John, you're ABSOLUTELY right... NO families or communities took care of their elderly...they just bunged them off into the workhouses when they were too old . Sorry, your attempts to redirect by showing worst-case scenarios aren't convincing me.

You're learning, that's good ;): charitable assistance did not eliminate the worst horrors of poverty and starvation even in the richest countries on Earth.

The very existence of worst case scenarios is WHY government programs are needed.

You're learning, that's good ;): charitable assistance did not eliminate the worst horrors of poverty and starvation even in the richest countries on Earth.

The very existence of worst case scenarios is WHY government programs are needed.

Agree to disagree, I suppose. Limited government assistance can be a good thing - a "womb to tomb" free ride isn't.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The question remains - how widespread were these workhouses, soup kitchens and hoovervilles throughout our history?

Were they commonplace in all eras? Or quite rare outside of the Great Depression? Are we talking about the norm or the exception?

How 'bout it, professor?

How 'bout it, professor?

Before these baby steps in social responsibility the poor just starved. Rather like they do now in third world countries.

How 'bout it, professor?

Before these baby steps in social responsibility the poor just starved. Rather like they do now in third world countries.

Nice. ;)

Now, how about actually answering the questions. :o

Here. I'll help.

Not widespread at all. In fact, workhouses (outside of prison programs) were practically non-existent in the US.

Were they commonplace in all eras?

NO.

Or quite rare outside of the Great Depression?

YES.

Are we talking about the norm or the exception?

The exception.

How am I doing?