Gawain

Still Calling It Right -- Speaker Designate Pelosi Passes over Rep. Hastings

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061128/ap_on_go_co/house_intelligence

There was a small festering of support for Rep. Hastings, but it was pretty inevitable that he wouldn't be able to out run his past...I mean why would an outright impeachment off the bench as a judge be a problem right? :S

Her support wasn't very strong, but that's two in a row she's had to face up to, and essentially lost in her "leadership" position. This one, while basically a slam dunk, won't make it easier for her, or the democratic party.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061128/ap_on_go_co/house_intelligence

There was a small festering of support for Rep. Hastings, but it was pretty inevitable that he wouldn't be able to out run his past...I mean why would an outright impeachment off the bench as a judge be a problem right? :S

Her support wasn't very strong, but that's two in a row she's had to face up to, and essentially lost in her "leadership" position. This one, while basically a slam dunk, won't make it easier for her, or the democratic party.

From what I read she told him shouldn't back him and he withdrew. Good call either way

I hope she goes with Jane Harmon...Hastings was a trainwreck, and I'm glad he's no longer in the mix.

Harmon deserves it, and is a darmed good leader. And if Pelosi lets personal issues stand in the way of good leadership...man, what a fiasco. 'Course, it is Pelosi...so who knows.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Harmon deserves it, and is a darmed good leader. And if Pelosi lets personal issues stand in the way of good leadership...man, what a fiasco. 'Course, it is Pelosi...so who knows.

It's not just that though. Her constituency will not allow her to effectively find compromise, which will cut her ability to lead, and keep the party unified in the House.
Make light!

I wasn't aware that Pelosi was ever considering Hastings for the position and then reversed herself. Unless that can be shown to be the case, comparisons to the Murtha misjudgment seem like a stretch.

I wasn't aware that Pelosi was ever considering Hastings for the position and then reversed herself. Unless that can be shown to be the case, comparisons to the Murtha misjudgment seem like a stretch.

From MSNBC

For Intelligence Committee chairman, Pelosi prefers Rep. Alcee Hastings, D- Fla. who has served on the panel for seven years and has support from the Congressional Black Caucus and from a large number of the left-leaning House Progressive Caucus.

From Time

Speaker-to-be Nancy Pelosi, who stumbled badly last week when she publicly backed the failed candidacy of Rep. John Murtha for majority leader, could be headed for another political tumble if she presses ahead with long-standing plans to elevate Rep. Alcee Hastings, a senior Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, to the panel's chairmanship.

Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Hmm. OK, so after some more quick research it appears that Pelosi was not so much in favor of Hastings per se, as she was opposed to front-runner Jane Harmon, with whom she has a long-standing feud; and Hastings was the next choice by default of seniority on the committee. Not that that makes an enormous difference (nor does it negate your point), I concede, but it adds to the overall context.

Pelosi is learning right quick that being boss is a lot tougher than being boss-in-waiting. If she's to have any success as leader, she needs to cut the bullshit and get her shakedown cruise squared away ASAP or suffer the consequences. The GOP lost their leadership position because they didn't keep their eye on the ball. The electorate is short on patience these days, and Pelosi's window of opportunity is very small. She has 1 election cycle to get her shit together or the voters will whack her with the same club in '08 as they used in '06.

Pelosi is learning right quick that being boss is a lot tougher than being boss-in-waiting. If she's to have any success as leader, she needs to cut the bullshit and get her shakedown cruise squared away ASAP or suffer the consequences. The GOP lost their leadership position because they didn't keep their eye on the ball.

In other words, politics as usual. Politicians do not change Washington. Washington changes politicians. The Republicans proved that.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Pelosi is learning right quick that being boss is a lot tougher than being boss-in-waiting. If she's to have any success as leader, she needs to cut the bullshit and get her shakedown cruise squared away ASAP or suffer the consequences. The GOP lost their leadership position because they didn't keep their eye on the ball.

In other words, politics as usual. Politicians do not change Washington. Washington changes politicians. The Republicans proved that.

I'm sure you've seen the movie "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington". Basically the same message. It was released in 1939.

GDIF? :P

What did he do first?

I'm just asking if Gawain was so quick off the mark with NG as he is with NP. I mean, even I gave a brief respite to GWB after the 2000 election.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Were you as quick to judge Gingrich when he became speaker?

No. I'm also not talking about him. Additionally, former Speaker Gingrich didn't encounter these problems. He was also leading with a real agenda. Rep. Pelosi doesn't have one. She's been doing a lot of talking, but the democratic agenda is non-existent compared to the GOP take-over in 1994.
Make light!