PLFXpert

Bodies--The Exhibition

Bonfire? SC? Bonfire? SC?

SC wins.

Thoughts and/or opinions regarding the bodies on display?

I haven't had the opportunity to see the exhibit myself.

Of course, there has been some controversy over it being that it is a for-profit organization, and those whose bodies have been preserved & displayed did not give consent.

Of course, they were unclaimed bodies, and by law such John & Jane Does can be donated to science, etc.

Disrespectful? Or really cool?B|
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I saw this exhibit when it was in Atlanta. I found nothing disrespectful. It was fascinating and very educational.
I was amazed at how easy it was to tell the difference between the bodies of smokers and nonsmokers.
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

I saw it in Tampa (we were weathered out in Z-hills). It was unbelievably cool. I was thinking if I had seen that while going through A&P 1&2 that I would have understood much more and much easier than I did. As for the bodies being displayed, they were done with taste and dignity. Besides, what good is a display if it does not convey some sort of relationship to actual life?

Go see it, it's cool.:)
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I went and saw bodyworlds and really enjoyed it, it was interestng and educational. I wouldn't go and see bodies on ethical grounds due to the origin of the bodies.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I wouldn't go and see bodies on ethical grounds due to the origin of the bodies.

This is interesting to me--not b/c I necessarily disagree.

I would and want to go see Bodies. I'm not 100% OK with these specific bodies being used being that there was no possible way for them to have given prior consent to be displayed in such a way (i.e. not for medical research).

But I'm not entirely against it either. And since in addition to that, I also think it looks super-cool, I would definitely go see it if the opportunity presented itself.B|:P

Of course, they didn't talk about the controversy in their thread, so can I get like a point or something for not being exactly the same?:P

Don't take this as me being a re-post nazi (not my intention), but here's a thread I started back in July on the controversy of the exhibit -- you can see some points of view on the subject there in addition to the ones in this thread.

I'm not quite sure what to make of it, though I might see it one of these days.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

My husband and I both saw BodyWorlds 3 in Houston and it was very intersting.Although we enjoyed it, I could see it more of an interest to A&P or Biology students.

I have no problems with the way in which the subjects were displayed or used for scientific purposes.IMHO, if you want to donate your body to science then do so and be aware of the possibilities your remains will be used.When you donate you cant pick and choose what scientific research you want your remains used for..thats why its a donation.The same goes for organ donation.You cant pick and choose who will receive your organs after your passing.Again..its a choice.Its a personal choice made by the individual and I dont think the families of the deceased should have any input or gripe about it if everything was done legally.

As for it being for-profit,I dont see a problem with it.Others who donate their body to science and are used as cadaver examples for medical students are no different.Those students pay tuition and lab fees for those courses that probably incorporate preserving,storage and so on for those remains.Even as donations there is still a cost for being used as such.

Just my $.02

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

The difference between BodyWorlds and Bodies is those displayed in Bodies did NOT give consent--they are unclaimed bodies. The law is clear any unclaimed body may be donated to medical research. Bodies, however, is NOT medical research.

Having said that, as previously mentioned, I'd still go see it.:)

The difference between BodyWorlds and Bodies is those displayed in Bodies did NOT give consent--they are unclaimed bodies. The law is clear any unclaimed body may be donated to medical research. Bodies, however, is NOT medical research.

Having said that, as previously mentioned, I'd still go see it.

If they followed the law in respect to unclaimed bodies being donated then I,again,see no problem with it.Why should the families get irate now concerning their loved one's remains when they didnt care enough at the time of their passing to claim the body?Yes I know its circumstancial and there could have been issues that stopped them from doing so,but my opinion remains the same.

Definition of research:1. diligent and systematic inquiry or investigation into a subject in order to discover or revise facts, theories, applications, etc.2.Scholarly or scientific investigation or inquiry. 3.Close, careful study.

Your opinion is that the Bodies exhibit is not medical research.What of those who are students seeing the exhibit for school or other scholarly people seeking to better understand the workings of the human body but are unable to actually have first hand knowledge b/c they are not exposed to or able to work with a cadaver or other teaching aids?

When we went to the BodyWorlds exhibit,there were school health,biology and A&P classes and individual students toruing aswell.Is using the exhibit as a teaching aid for students to learn not a form of research?Just because the remains arent being used in a professional lab somewhere to further the understanding of medicine and science does not mean it is being ill used as research material.

The exhibit was at the Houston Museaum of Natural Science and History...not at an art gallery.I dont know about Bodies,but BodyWorlds is being marketed as a Science exhibit.

again,I understand opinions vary and this is just my take on it.:)

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."