lawrocket

US Government Wars On... Which Should End?

The US Government is fighting plenty of wars. Many of these wars have been going on for decades with no end in sight.

We've got the War on Terror, that was developing in the 1980's (think Achille Lauro and plane hijackings). No end in sight, and really no plausible end in sight. There will always be terror. It is an endless war.

We've got the War on Drugs, which was formally declared by Nixon but being fought in the decades prior to it. No end in sight, and really no plausible end in sight. There will always be drugs. An endless war.

We've got the War on Poverty, which has been going on since at least the late 19th century and really got going in the LBJ Admin. Trillions have been spent on it with no end in sight, and really no plausible end in sight. There will always be poverty. An endless war.

We've got the War on Cancer and other diseases. No end in sight. There will always be cancer or some other diseases. It's an endless war.

There's the War on Racism? Endless.

War on Illiteracy? Still losing since the 70's.

There are more metaphorical "wars" out there that have undefined enemies and undefined battlefields. These "wars" are government efforts to change national ways of life. The "War on Terror" is an example of this - things must be done to change the American perspective of security and freedom.

Which of these wars are successes? Which are failures? Which of these wars should end?

Personally, I'd eliminate the following from my list since they don't work:
1) War on Drugs - hasn't worked (obviously)
2) War on Poverty - hasn't worked (obviously)
3) War on Illiteracy - hasn't worked (obviously)
4) War on Racism - has only made more groups overtly racist

I'd also start a new war, called "War on Irresponsibility." The mottos will be along the lines of, "You break it, you buy it"; "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em"; "Yes, you can do things yourself if you try"; "Trust in yourself, because others will hose you"; "You have the right to destroy your life, and government will not interfere"; and "The government will not punish success."

Government policy will be based upon the words of the late Ed Bradley: "I was told, `You can be anything you want, kid,' When you hear that often enough, you believe it."

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I'd also start a new war, called "War on Irresponsibility." The mottos will be along the lines of, "You break it, you buy it"; "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em"; "Yes, you can do things yourself if you try"; "Trust in yourself, because others will hose you"; "You have the right to destroy your life, and government will not interfere"; and "The government will not punish success."

Run for office.

Its always impressed me how we could be loosing the war on drugs. I mean we are fighting a war against people on drugs. And loosing! How can we expect to win any other war when we cant beat the junkies? The untold BILLIONS spent and we are no closer to anything but more citizens in Jail.

I know it makes me queasy.

Welcome to the New World Order. Expect no Mercy.

If I had to end one, I would say the war on drugs would be the one I would end first. Prohibition did not work. Period. Legalization would be easier on the budget, easier on law enforcement, and make a lot of people very happy. I'm all for it.

:S
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

The vast majority of the billions spent on the "War on Drugs" is spent on marijuana eradication. Marijuana, being the safest drug known to man, is considered to be the root of all evils and has been the main focus point since the 1930's. A great documentary by film maker Ron Mann, GRASS, tells the truth of why and how marijuana became villianized. Time to end this stupid war and let people be as marijuana is never going away. Plus there is so much coming out on its medicinal value it is time for the government to take a good hard look into it. The war on drugs is a war on human behavior. Now, I am against drugs such as alcohol, cocaine, heroin, meth and other chemicals but mj has never killed one person and has been proven to be of great value and promise. Our government is not about priority, just war.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

End the war on US citizens who choose to indulge in drugs, and harm no one else.

I think it is a travesty that our rights which are derived from our creator are only infringed upon by our government and in return that Gov. treats its people worse than a criminal.

US Constitution, Article 3, Section 3:

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them

Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!