Blis

Rapide link vs Slink on bridle connection

So, What is the opinion of other riggers on replacing the rapide link on bridle-main canopy connection point?

I've been thinking about it a lot and cant find any concrete reason to not do so and I like the idea of having less metal in contact with the canopy.

Main reason for this would be to install a Yepzon locator on that same slink and save me the trouble of sewing a pocket inside D-bag...

so, opinions and ideas?

Blis

So, What is the opinion of other riggers on replacing the rapide link on bridle-main canopy connection point?

I've been thinking about it a lot and cant find any concrete reason to not do so and I like the idea of having less metal in contact with the canopy.

Main reason for this would be to install a Yepzon locator on that same slink and save me the trouble of sewing a pocket inside D-bag...

so, opinions and ideas?

I am personally partial to french links. Not aware of any problems with having that metal contact that concerns you. The only wear issue I know of is with the connection loop, which will wear regardless of which link you use. (though Rob disagrees with this and I have no problem bowing to his experienced opinion)

That having been said...

As to the notion of connecting the Yepzon there, I would not be comfortable with that. If we assume that there will be no problem with damaging the unit during repeated pack cycles (possibly creating sharp edges of cracked plastic in our rig), and we assume that there can be no contamination of the canopy by a leaky/corroded battery down the road, then it raises the next issue... snag point.

If I'm right about how you want to connect it, simply looping the link through its strap hole... (is the link long enough to go through that and the bridle and the bridle attachment loop?) then you've got a snag point for lines or reinforcement tape to get wrapped around. I admit its a small likelihood, but its there... And as a pocket on the D-bag would be a clean way to enclose it and remove that possibility, I think I would go that way.

Either way, I would add it to my periodic inspection. Is it there, working, in good physical and operational condition, properly fastened?

Just my $.02
JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

For the reference, here's a picture of the set-up...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_0CVT0c-vl5cWNOMkR6XzVUR2s

PD reserve slink installed in place of rapide link and the yepzon is in the same loop. There is enough slack in the Slink to allow free movement of the yepzon and considering it's shape I find it hard to imagine something getting stuck there.

Good call on the battery though, never thought about it. Then again I would imagine cracked casing/leaking battery is something that might be easier to notice when you're actually seeing the device on every packjob.

Blis

Good call on the battery though, never thought about it. Then again I would imagine cracked casing/leaking battery is something that might be easier to notice when you're actually seeing the device on every packjob.

(can't access the pic from work... no issue, I'll see it later)

Just make sure you do see it when packing... You'd be surprised how much people don't see wrong on the rig they're packing. Doesn't take much, just conscious observation. B|

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...