happythoughts

the wrong church

"The Bible was tested as 97 % unedited or unadjusted (search) "

Sorry, is this is a joke? Are you familiar with bilical scholarship? Serious scholars of the bible, whether they are believers or not accept there were many authors of the bible, in the OT alone at least 4 authors are described J,E,P and D. The evidence for this is overwhelming I woukld highly recomend the you read "Who Wrote the Bible" by Professor Richard E Friedman so you can realise how ridiculous your statement is.

Even if it were unedited, unaltered that would not in any way make it true.

Prophecies in the bibe real and being fulfilled? I don't think so. Ezekiel predicted Tyre would be destroyed and never rebuilt , but yet it still stands to this day. In fact it was in the news recently with conflict in Lebanon. He also predicted Nebuchadrezzar would rule over Egypt. It didnt happen. God promised the land of Canaan to the Isealites as an everlasting possesion, yet they were expelled for many hundreds of years.Jesus predicted he would return within one generation of his contempories, we are still waiting 2000 years later.

Anyway ..my interest now is looking at how these play off in the future - see this link for a few very interesting views :

http://www.evenmore.co.uk/prophecy/

I read quite a lot of that and - what a load of tenuous nonsense.

I could go through Lord of the Rings and find as many parallels to things happening in real life if i looked hard enough.

This is where use of the bible becomes dangerous where people try and make out that it is something its not. Moral guidelines and to help people understand their being? Fine if you need a book to help you understand right and wrong. Predicting the future down to the last individual event?? I think not.

Another poster who has "Studied the bible for many years " and "really knows the truth" unlike all us unbelievers says the bible predicts without a shadow of a doubt that the end of the civilised world as we know it is this year (or something like that). If he's right I apologise profusely!!!

Ok he was an idiot to think he knows when the world will end but he's not the only one that have made such predictions :(:(:(:S... i have made no prediction at all i'm just saying that there are certain views that point to end times scripture and i find very interesting.

I love The Lord of the Rings - one of my favourites ;) .. as it's quite a good metaphor for society and life.

No apology accepted :ph34r:
If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

I had a look at your web site it is ridiculous.
There have been wars and rumours of wars ever since history has been recorded. Same with earthquakes by the way and famines. Anyone who thinks these predictions mean anything should reconsider their position. Moreover they should check the above failed predictions already outlined above in my previous post.

As far as "it works for me", I think you should think about the consequences of religios belief. Last year 2.8 million people died of Aids, many of them poor Africans who were encouraged by the Pope not to use condoms because or religious belief. Now how can you shrug your shoulders and say it works for me , fuck the consequences to the world? If catholocism is false, enormous amounts of people are dying for no reason

Please explain how the Catholic Church's policy on birth control directly caused the AIDS epedimic in Africa.

That's like saying that the US Govt. has caused obesity because they didn't keep people from eating fast food three times a day.

Paganism, ignorance, and disregard for moral law has done far more to spread AIDS.

Even if it were unedited, unaltered that would not in any way make it true.

Correct - i never said that :o

The Bible may have things that do not not correspond 100% and translation etc..might have something to do with that but the Bible as a whole spells the Gospel and that Jesus came in love for you. It's the good news salvation for those who believe by just accepting God's love not joining some church or movement to prove it ....it's just asking forgiveness and asking God into your life ...that's it :$ it's actually so simple :)
But yes people will try to prove God does not exist until we die or see his coming because as i said before satan will also play a part and the more souls he can take to hell with him the better right ? , so he will try and find anything to make people question God's existence.

If i totally missed the point and it was all just my imagination and i die tommorow and there was no purpose to existence and to a smile on someone's face , love , emotion and to the universe all around us and the universe within all of us , then so be it as i didn't miss anything from a physical perspective ....but what if not what if it's all true ? ... ;) B|

"Please explain how the Catholic Church's policy on birth control directly caused the AIDS epedimic in Africa. "

Where did I say that I did? you are constructing a straw man argument.
What I did say was that 2.8 million people died of Aids last year and many of them were poor Africans who were encouraged not to use condoms by the Pope. To quote "As Bishop J. Ricard pointed out at the conference, “The Church in Africa is growing at an annual rate of nearly 3 percent, a rate unparalleled anywhere else in the world. Today there are 800 million people in Africa; 370 million are Christians; 124 million are Catholics. By 2025, the number of Catholics will increase to more than 228 million. The future of Africa is the future of the universal Church in significant measure.”Aids is now the leading cause of death in Africa and cathcing HIV is a lot less likely with the use of condoms. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to see the devastating affect of Catholicism in Africa. If the US government said it was every citizens patriotic duty to eat fast food every day then I would give it some criticism for the obesity in the USA, it doesnt though. The same cannot be said for Catholics in Afirca.
How does Paganism have anything to do with Aids? What are you talking about?

Paganism, ignorance, and disregard for moral law has done far more to spread AIDS.

As Phil pointed out, the church in Africa is huge, and growing fast. Not only does the church currently teach the immorality of using condoms it deliberately and systematically lies about their effectiveness in preventing the spread of sexually transmitted diseases such as HIV. It is an indefensible position.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

...If you can blame the church for aids you should blame pacman and mario bros. for drug abuse ;)

I stay in Africa and the work with alot of people from different races etc.... the pope is not the cause of the aids epidemic in africa but poverty and lack of knowledge , education and skydiving and alot of other things that go with developing countries.

the church... deliberately and systematically lies about their effectiveness in preventing the spread of sexually transmitted diseases such as HIV.

This makes it sound like it's standard fare for Catholic ministries in Africa. It that true? Or are you relying on a few instances to paint with a broad brush?

Your knowledge on HIV/AIDS rates a whopping ZERO.
Faithbased groups are amongst the greatest danger that those who are trying to educate face. Faithbased groups HAVE contributed to the rise in AIDS cases across the globe. It is unreal to believe that people will not have sex. It is dangerous to not distribute condoms. Abstinence is fine but overall unreal. It is real in educating the masses on how to protect themselve when having sex. You should educate yourself Roid as you clearly know nothing about the issue. In your little world everyone is a sinner. I strongly feel that you hope all AIDS victims will die soon. Expect to see the death rate rise in the following years as the Bush admin. has cut funding for real world work and has earmarked more of that money to faithbased groups. Also, the Ryan White Fund is in real danger as well as Medicare (Medicare cuts for 2007 will not only affect a large portion of AIDS patients (I recieved my letter a few weeks back stating that as of Jan. 1st I am no longer eligable for Medicare. I was cut from Medicaid last year. Thanks GWB, you piece of ...) but, also, seniors and children) Bush is dancing cheek to cheek with faithbased groups who are robbing the American people blind. What little that these groups do has not done anything to discourage the spread of AIDS. Religous zealots need to stay far away from the issue and leave the work for the professional medical community.

On religion, I prefer Dylans interpretation...

All Along the Watchtower
"There must be some way out of here," said the joker to the thief,
"There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief.
Businessmen, they drink my wine, plowmen dig my earth,
None of them along the line know what any of it is worth."

"No reason to get excited," the thief, he kindly spoke,
"There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke.
But you and I, we've been through that, and this is not our fate,
So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late."

All along the watchtower, princes kept the view
While all the women came and went, barefoot servants, too.

Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl,
Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

>Please explain how the Catholic Church's policy on birth control
>directly caused the AIDS epedimic in Africa.

It didn't cause it. It helps keep it going though.

>That's like saying that the US Govt. has caused obesity because
>they didn't keep people from eating fast food three times a day.

If the US government:

1. Required every good american to listen to a presidential address once a week

2. told everyone to eat fast food

3. told them it was unpatriotic/evil/bad to eat vegetables and fruit (i.e. "if you eat vegetables, the terrorists will win!")

Then they would bear some responsibility for the resulting obesity epidemic.

The church does all that with respect to HIV; the US government does not do that.

>Paganism, ignorance, and disregard for moral law has done far more
>to spread AIDS.

Pagans are generally more protected against HIV, because they don't have a priest telling them that using a condom is a sin.

Ignorance - I agree there.

Disregard for moral law - those people disregarding the church's teachings on condom usage are BETTER protected from HIV than people who follow it.

the church... deliberately and systematically lies about their effectiveness in preventing the spread of sexually transmitted diseases such as HIV.

This makes it sound like it's standard fare for Catholic ministries in Africa. It that true? Or are you relying on a few instances to paint with a broad brush?

It is not limited to a few priests in Africa, it is Vatican policy. Junk science papers published by the Vatican outline their stance that condoms are ineffective against HIV (completely opposed to the unanimous stance of the major world health organisations). It would be strange to suggest that the vast majority of Catholic priests in Africa did not tow the party line.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?