sundevil777

Darfur: What to do about it?

I was surprised to find no threads on this subject.

Some national ad campaigns are promoting military action.

The question of whether to intervene or not involves some of the same issues as Iraq.

What to do about it?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I think the UN is the only body that can do anything about it. The US should financially and morally support the action, but their troops should absolutly stay out this one.
it might be a good mission for the Spanish or Italians to lead.

It can be reasonable said that the UN should do something about it, but certainly others can do something about it.

Why should US troops stay out?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Why should US troops stay out?

Because it is another opportunity for the extemists to point and say, 'Look at America attacking the muslims again.' Besides the US is spread way too thin as it is.

Give them a good reason for the extremists to say that. Utilize the 8th Air Force before the Italians or Spanish go in.:)
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

I was watching CNN during lunch once a week or so ago and saw one of those ads. The ad was targeting morons who think GWB could stop the Darfur horrors at his whim - probably the same way he controls oil prices.

Anyway, Darfur is a humanitarian disaster. Imposing peace via UN presence there would do little to solve long term problems there. It could quell the immediate violence, but when the UN troops depart, the violence will sooner or later begin again.

There was an article in either FOREIGN AFFAIRS or WORLD AFFAIRS or the WILSON QUARTERLY - one of the three - a few years ago entitled 'GIVE WAR A CHANCE'. Its premise was that NGOs and foreign powers imposing peace upon warring states/peoples will never resolve the issue completely, because the issues that brought the parties to war in the first place will most likely remain unresolved and unaddressed by the intervening forces attempting to impose peace. Really interesting article.

I unsure as to what the correct course of action with regards to Darfur is. UN intervention seems the most likely way to impose a modicum of peace in the short term. A long term solution would have to be found, though, and the troops would have to remain for a very long time.

:S
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

questions to ask!!

1 is there oil there?

2 what color are the natives?

3 who cares?

the above explain why no one is doing anything..sad isn't it

Nicely summed up.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

There is oil there, it's what the fighting is about - control of the oil and the revenues it creates. The natives are black, some christian and some muslim. The international community should care, but I guess genocide in Africa isn't quite good enough for headlines.

The Bush administration wanted the UN resolution passed earlier in the summer to include the charge of genocide. The wording was refused because its inclusion would have required the UN to actively take measures to put a stop to it. As it stands, the UN attempted to replace the African Union peacekeeping force with a UN contingent of peacekeepers. The Sudanese government refused, indicating it would treat any UN peacekeepers as foreign invaders.

The idea of the UN is a nice one in theory, but the situation in Darfur again demonstrates what an ineffectual organization it is.

The least we could do is airdrop food and Ak-47s to the refugees on the ground so that they'd have a crack at defending themselves. :|

The idea of the UN is a nice one in theory, but the situation in Darfur again demonstrates what an ineffectual organization it is.
:|

As the fiasco in Iraq shows, US intervention is not guaranteed to make things better. And Afghanistan shows the folly of arming "the natives".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Afghanistan demonstrates why we should drop rilfles instead of surface to air missles.

US intervention certainly isn't guaranteed to make things better, but if we are going to wait for the UN to make a difference it isn't going to happen. We'll all shake our heads two years from now and wonder how the world let another 500,000 people die under our own noses.

Maybe we'll get another Caans film festival winner out of it.

As the fiasco in Iraq shows, US intervention is not guaranteed to make things better. And Afghanistan shows the folly of arming "the natives".

So sir, what would you suggest? Do nothing?

I wish the UN would get involved, but it is quite clear they do not wish to do anything.

I wish the UN would get involved, but it is quite clear they do not wish to do anything.

Learn from the Iraq mistake.

Of course we should learn from our experiences.

How would you say that learning should reflect itself to actions taken to help the Darfur situation?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that lesson would be?

I'll ask again, what ACTION do you think should be done in Darfur?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that lesson would be?

I'll ask again, what ACTION do you think should be done in Darfur?

The best solution would be for the African states to deal with it. I don't think the US has the credibilty to do anything unilaterally right now, or even to take a leadershiop role.

It would be better for others to deal with it...

But they aren't. It does not appear they will.

I was so tempted to make an analogy to late 1930's Europe, but I resisted, kinda. :D

The African Union has peace keepers deployed now, and they are incapable of stopping the violence.

I can't buy the argument that the complete lack of post-war planning in Iraq should have any bearing on stopping an incredible humanitarian disaster.

What does our 'credibility' have anything to do with stopping the rape and murder of un-armed civilians on a wholesale level?

The African Union has peace keepers deployed now, and they are incapable of stopping the violence.

I can't buy the argument that the complete lack of post-war planning in Iraq should have any bearing on stopping an incredible humanitarian disaster.

What does our 'credibility' have anything to do with stopping the rape and murder of un-armed civilians on a wholesale level?

Well, once the WMD line was disproved and the AQ connection was disproved, our motive for invading Iraq morphed into humanitarian. Since all we've brought to Iraq is more death and suffering, I think our credibility is nil and we should not make things worse in Darfur.

Well the best way is to put something trivial as the lead story on the T.V news and papers... like some has-been stupid politician writing shite e-mails. Let the country(s) get worked up by nothing news stories and forget the biggies... Hey people are dieing an AFrica... Pah who cares, we've got some old pervert sending e-mails....... See Job Done.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Surgical airstrikes like we used to stop the Serbs would at least slow down the Sudanese military slaughter. Ironic that a republican administration sits and watches ethnic cleansing like Roosevelt did before and during WWII. Sure would be nice for another country to step up to the plate; some country not extended as far as us. Wonder what the French are doing this weekend?
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.