Muenkel

What are your beliefs in regard to reincarnation?

We've discussed many topics in regard to religions such as Christianity, Islam, Judaism and how their individual faiths do not agree with science. Buddhism has been around for over 5000 years and is a very peace loving religion. Their belief in reincarnation cannot be proven by science. What are your thoughts on this subject?

Chris

There is not one piece of actual testable evidence in support of reincarnation.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

We've discussed many topics in regard to religions such as Christianity, Islam, Judaism and how their individual faiths do not agree with science. Buddhism has been around for over 5000 years and is a very peace loving religion. Their belief in reincarnation cannot be proven by science. What are your thoughts on this subject?

Chris

I don't really want you to answer this question, b/c it's none of my business, but I wonder if you get involved in romantic relationships. B/c the matter of faith is involved in those as well, albeit to a lesser degree. When you love someone in that way, you have no "actual testable evidence to support" that they are going to be faithful to you, especially at the beginning of the relationship. You go on your gut, on your heart, and you risk it. You step out on faith. And if you can't do that, your relationship is either a total mess or you just don't venture into "love."

I'm wondering what your take is on this John. Honestly, sarcasm, rancor and barbs of the past aside.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Testable evidence is flawed as well.

Years ago, we "proved" that the Sun moves around the Earth. We "knew" that bloodletting would cure all ailments.

There will come a time when we have to admit that everything that we know now.... is really wrong.

For an observation to be testable in scientific terms, the experimenter must have control over it. That is where our scientific process "fails" when discussing these topics.

Just because our scientific process can't discern it doesn't mean the phenomenon don't exist. Language is a bitch.
We are all engines of karma

For an observation to be testable in scientific terms, the experimenter must have control over it. That is where our scientific process "fails" when discussing these topics.

Just because our scientific process can't discern it doesn't mean the phenomenon don't exist. Language is a bitch.

No, it doesn't fail. We can't control evolution, but it is testable and there is plenty of evidence.

I do not see why anyone would believe something in the complete absence of any evidence in support of it.

Reincarnation is not a Buddhist concept. It is Hindu's. Buddhists believe in reborn. They are not the same.

Seriously, how do they differ? I know my friends definitely use the term reincarnation. I know it involves the person's energy and karma and that some time after death, that energy becomes a new life (not necessarily human).

This might help explain it.

Personally, I doubt that reincarnation occurs. I don't think there's such a thing as "soul", so each of the life-after-death theories espoused by the major religions seems equally silly.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Personally, I doubt that reincarnation occurs. I don't think there's such a thing as "soul", so each of the life-after-death theories espoused by the major religions seems equally silly.

Blues,
Dave

Not that you need it, but for those that need a death denial, do you have a better alternative that would be more comforting than their present one?

steveOrino

Not that you need it, but for those that need a death denial, do you have a better alternative that would be more comforting than their present one?

Not really. I'm a big fan of "whatever gets you through the night." If it scares someone to think that this is all there is, and it comforts them to believe something comes after this, I'm all for it.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Not really. I'm a big fan of "whatever gets you through the night." If it scares someone to think that this is all there is, and it comforts them to believe something comes after this, I'm all for it.

Blues,
Dave

Good! So many atheists/agnostics have a big chip on their shoulder to get everyone to believe as they do. They feel so superior. Sort of like some Christian fundies I know. It just goes to show fundamentalist come in all shapes and sizes, Christians ... Muslims ... Atheists. IMHO -- they are a pain, but hey, so am I at times. ;)

steveOrino

I do not see why anyone would believe something in the complete absence of any evidence in support of it.

I guess you think your fellow professors who teach philosphy are wasting everyone's time, eh?

No, they amuse the students. :)

I guess you think your fellow professors who teach philosphy are wasting everyone's time, eh?

Besides, everyone needs an easy A! ;)

steveOrino

That's what physics and engineering courses are for.:o

You GOT to be kidding me! I graduated my Masters with a 3.75, but I bet I couldn't squeak out one A in either physics or engineering. It makes my brain hurt just thinking that "logically". ;)

steveOrino

However, what we can debate on is that one's time in THIS life is, according to you, too short to make the right choices... to meet the standard as you put it. Just a couple of points... If we're talking about the Christian viewpoint (which your post does), you've left out an important -indeed crucial- consideration and that is Grace. While it's true that, according to Christianity, you only have one shot, you are not left alone, w/o God's assistance which is a simple way of saying that God gives you the Grace sufficient to make it to Heaven. He (sic) gives you the tools, the capacity if you will, to know Him, love Him and serve Him so that you can attain eternal life and not damnation.

I appreciate your taking the time to offer perspective but I still have a question that bothers me. How can eternal damnation be rationalised. I can see the rational in never letting someone into heaven (eternal bliss must be earned) and I can even see temporary hell time being justified but why eternal suffering? If God feels someone simply does not deserve heaven then why not just get rid of him and make his soul cease to exist (he has the power to do that.). What is the purpose being served if after five hundred trillion milleniums of constantly screaming in horrific agony in a lake of fire the person has no end in sight to his/her suffering? What is the purpose of keeping a soul consious for an eternity simply to make that person scream from hideous unendurable mindbending agony? If it is too late for that person to change then what are you teaching the person? What crime deserves eternal horrific agony? The whole hell business seems so disproportionally cruel that it makes me frightened to even comprehend what kind of god could conceive something so horrificly sadistic. That makes me wonder if I should worship God for his grace or simply worship him for the same reason people in dictatorships worship their leaders (out of fear). I never asked him to create me; why should I be terrorized out of fear of hell if I don't meet the standards of someone who I did not ask to create me?

I do not mean to be disrespectful to your religion. In fact my wife is a practicing Catholic and I respect those who have such strong faith in their religion but I seriously want to know the answers to some of my harder questions.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Somehow I seriously doubt that! :D:)

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Richards, that's a question I've found myself pondering enough times. How could an ever merciful and loving God do such a thing?

I think this is more likely to be earlier man's interpretation of things - I try to believe in God. It doesn't bother me too much lack of evidence or some of the stories in the bible that lack authenticity. (Like the lady getting turned into a pillar of salt. Sure she did.)

The bible is a book of fables or parables really. I try and read it with this in mind. Like organised religion, man has interferred too much; for power, control and money - hence, don't come to church and spend your tithing you'll spend eternity getting toasted with the devil sticking a pitchfork in your ass.

I'm 60/40 in a belief of God. Evidence? I thought the whole point was there to never be evidence! What would be the point of our existence if everybody knew, without any doubt, God existed?

On a course a few years back we had to 'supposedly' relearn Newtons laws (I never really knew them). But what interested me was energy and how it transfers. It can't ever just cease to exist. Like the stone I have aimed at your face has potential energy. I throw it - kinetic energy. It misses and hits a brick wall - heat and sound energy, on so on.
Well, what happens to our energy when we pass away in our sleep???

One last thought - infinity. An atom - consists of a nucleus with varying electrons orbiting and sometimes tacheons orbiting the electrons. Split it. Massive release of energy.
Sun = an atom? Planets, moons, etc? Worm/blackholes between the 'levels'?

Edited to add reincarnation: If your a bellend throughout your life and come back as dung beetle or something, what's the point in that? Your not going to remember being a bellend are you? So where's the punishment? Fables again I reckon.
Come to our organised religion!:)Pay your tithings!:)Or you'll burn in hell!>:(
(or end up a dung beetle)

p.s. Just about every church I ever visited in Central Scotland as a kid had a 'church roof' collection point. Perhaps a case of the Church being more interested in what the congregation can do for the church, rather than the other way round - the way it should be?
p.p.s. why are so many organised religions and leaders fabulously wealthy?

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

Buddhism is kinda plagued by a mystical hollywood thing.

Koans and such are made to shock your mind out of set patterns of thinking. Sometimes people create patterns of behavior and one of those habits is seeing your death as separate from the rest of the world, when it is truly an interdependent part of life itself.

As long as there is consciousness there is existence. Think shrodengers cat, an observer of some sort is needed to carry on reality.When you die the world isn't over. It's not really "you" that's reincarnating, it's consciousness itself. Just another way of saying life goes on basically.

The leaf dies, but the tree lives.

If you walk, just walk. If you sit, just sit. But whatever you do, don't wobble.
- Master Ummon

I would guess most atheists do not believe that anything like a soul (that survives after the biological functions have ceased) even exists; so probably wouldn't believe in it.

I do think that because we continue on in the memory of living people, and have at least some small influence in how they lead their lives, that the "spirit" of the person continues on beyond death. But not reincarnation in the sense that those who have it as part of their religion would believe.

Beliefs echo down thru the generations, spreading like ripples, ever-widening and ever-weakening.

I also think there is a connection between the belief in reincarnation and the tangible handing down of beliefs from generation to generation. Similar to the idea many anthropologists have that reverence for the elders of the tribe in life evolved into reverence to the elders in death to reverence to spirits to reverence to dieties. It would explain a lot.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

But what interested me was energy and how it transfers. It can't ever just cease to exist. Like the stone I have aimed at your face has potential energy. I throw it - kinetic energy. It misses and hits a brick wall - heat and sound energy, on so on.
Well, what happens to our energy when we pass away in our sleep???

:)
We are all engines of karma

And then you really regretted it when her monthly friend came and she wasn't prepared!

Not really. ;):D

This thread reminds me of a funny Mel Gibson line from Air America. GREAT movie.

"Yeah.......when you die, they put you in a box, throw dirt on top of you, and don't even let you out for weekends." :D

Testable evidence is flawed as well.

Years ago, we "proved" that the Sun moves around the Earth. We "knew" that bloodletting would cure all ailments.

There will come a time when we have to admit that everything that we know now.... is really wrong.

Actually the fact that they got the revolving part right was a good step in moving away from the everything-on-a-shell-in-a-fixed-distance-above-Earth idea. Later corrected to better define the system, with additional corrections always coming.

Rarely does a well established theory (an often misunderstood term - individual opinions do not constitute a theory) get completely thrown out. They are almost always built upon.

Newton's findings did not dismantle Euclidian geometry, they built on it. Relativity built on Newton, and quantum mechanics is building on relativity. That's how most science works. It is how all of the physical sciences have proceeded since the early
Geeks. They really got the whole science thing going in high gear after the Ahabs got the motor running. Think of the pesky Dark Ages as a major breakdown that caused a delay in the journey.

So, in spirit I would agree with you, but would change it to saying most of what we know is incomplete to make it an accurate statement.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

And then you really regretted it when her monthly friend came and she wasn't prepared!

Not really. ;):D

This thread reminds me of a funny Mel Gibson line from Air America. GREAT movie.

"Yeah.......when you die, they put you in a box, throw dirt on top of you, and don't even let you out for weekends." :D

I LOVE that movie!!!

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...