kallend

Cell phones the latest terror weapon?

Cell phones are very popular detonation devices and signal senders. The right placement and you can do about any thing with little as apposed to large amounts of explosives.

Seems the whole story needs to be told. Many folks do just what they claim in the story, buy bulk cheap and sell for profit.
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

There are over 20 million pre-paid cell phone users in SA. Since we've had prepaid GSM phones now for 11 years, it seems a prudent guess that there must be upwards of 100 million units floating about.

Starter packs (Sim card and access codes) go for under R10 (Less than $1.50) and that's the bit that makes them work.

Either we have a lot of terrorists doing nothing with all this oportunity, or we have a lot of cell phone users who are not terrorists.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Here in the town where I live, some folks of middle-Eastern nationality, were questioned by federal authorities for purchasing 'all' the pre-paid cell-phones the local Wal-Mart had. The Wal-Mart in question is right off the Interstate highway. The Feds reason for questioning them was because, cell-phones can be used as detonation devices. I haven't heard any more in regard to this matter.

Chuck

Cell phones are very popular detonation devices and signal senders. The right placement and you can do about any thing with little as apposed to large amounts of explosives.

Seems the whole story needs to be told. Many folks do just what they claim in the story, buy bulk cheap and sell for profit.

"Big Mac" is a very large bridge. I doubt you'd bring it down with just a small amount of explosive unless you made a very sophisticated shape-charge device and placed it very carefully. Somehow I doubt these yahoos could manage that. Besides, why would they need so many cell phones?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Maybe they really are reselling them?

Of course a Terrorist act need not actually destroy or kill to acheive its goal (although for the Terrorist it is a side benifit) it is the disruption and fear they want to use to draw your attention.

I have not seen the bridge but I am guessing a few of our dz.com'ers could render the bridge inoperable for weeks with just a small amount of explosives.
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Maybe they really are reselling them?

Of course a Terrorist act need not actually destroy or kill to acheive its goal (although for the Terrorist it is a side benifit) it is the disruption and fear they want to use to draw your attention.

I have not seen the bridge but I am guessing a few of our dz.com'ers could render the bridge inoperable for weeks with just a small amount of explosives.

We have no Idea of what your talking about Matt:):P

This was a cross reference to the Farting thread in the History forum;).

Just the gas emitted in the Otter is a WMD;)

I've always treated it as a tactical weapon.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Anyone else think this story is a little wierd?

www.wzzm13.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=59416

I mean, don't they need a LOT of explosives and only a few detonators to blow a huge bridge?

Ah, but I can't believe you of all people don't see through their nefarious plot ... don't you teach the Tacoma bridge collapse in your freshman physics course?

1. Purchase 1,000 cell phones and download the Homer Simpson "D'oh" ringtone

2. Place cell phones strategically around bridge supports

3. Call all phones simultaneously

4. Resonance induced by ring tones brings down bridge.

Whala!

"Big Mac" is a very large bridge. I doubt you'd bring it down with just a small amount of explosive unless you made a very sophisticated shape-charge device and placed it very carefully. Somehow I doubt these yahoos could manage that. Besides, why would they need so many cell phones?

The question is, do they have a single cell phone which they use for all calls. These can be traced.
The throw away phones are popular amongst terrorists, because they are cheap enough to get rid of.

These pre-paid starter phones are pretty much untraceable. Some yahoos are proving themselves to not be so yahooish. If these guys are re-selling the stuff, it will be brought to light pretty quickly. However, accumulating 1000 phones via buying them retail is a losing proposition.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

These pre-paid starter phones are pretty much untraceable. Some yahoos are proving themselves to not be so yahooish. If these guys are re-selling the stuff, it will be brought to light pretty quickly. However, accumulating 1000 phones via buying them retail is a losing proposition.

Well, given a choice between smart terrorists and stupid ones...

Anyhow, hard to justify government eavesdropping on all citizens in the name of security, when the terrorist can just use off-the-shelf phones that are "pretty much untraceable".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.