wjt5

Used gear fit

General question about how close in measurements you should be to the original owner when buying used.

What are the key measurements that matter most? How much can you get away with in each area? Am I supposed to find a clone of my exact body and buy from him? (Or her...that would be weird)

Obviously they are all important or else the manufacturer wouldn't have asked but I'm sure tolerances can vary more in some areas than others.

Don't tell me to "do a simple search" without a link, I've been searching for 2 days... I would ask my local rigger or gear shop but I'm currently overseas in an area without drop zones :(

If you look at the ads, they'll often give the proportions of the current owner, and a direction to go (which is usually an indication that the rig was bought used by the current owner). I just bought used gear, and have done so in the past.

To me, shoulder width really matters; if it's way too narrow, it hurts, and if it's way too wide, it's not secure.

if you ask the current owner how it fits them and how big they are, you'll have some idea. I've been jumping a rig that's officially too small for me for the last 15 years/1200 jumps. Now I'm jumping one that's the right length and width, but made for someone with smaller hips, so the leg strap joint is farther back. But as long as it's on securely, not deformed, and there is plenty of running end left on straps that slide, that's not a huge problem.

Just my thoughts. But finding the perfect answer is kind of like nailing jello to a tree.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Thanks Wendy, that makes a lot of sense. I guess the only "perfect" answer is really just a custom rig. Most used gear probably falls in the grey area between perfect and un-safe. Just need to find that "good" fit. I did buy a rig used on the recommendation of my rigger back home after giving him my measurements because it was an amazing deal. I'm just PRAYING it fits in the good category, if not it would still be very much worth it to have the harness resized. All of the measurements are within an inch or two except chest 3" and waist 7" and I'm 15lbs lighter

wjt5

Thanks Wendy, that makes a lot of sense. I guess the only "perfect" answer is really just a custom rig. Most used gear probably falls in the grey area between perfect and un-safe. Just need to find that "good" fit. I did buy a rig used on the recommendation of my rigger back home after giving him my measurements because it was an amazing deal. I'm just PRAYING it fits in the good category, if not it would still be very much worth it to have the harness resized. All of the measurements are within an inch or two except chest 3" and waist 7" and I'm 15lbs lighter

Well, then the lats are going to be a bit long, and the chest strap will likely have a bit of a 'tail' to it. The rig might slide around on your back a bit, and lift up some if you sit fly.

My understanding (and I could be wrong) is that the yoke is most critical, because too big and the rig can slip off your shoulders. It also cannot be changed. MLW is also important so that the lats and leg straps are positioned correctly.

Unless way off, the rest of it is comfort and appearance.

As far as "perfect fit", how well did your student gear fit?
For the most part, student gear is "one size sorta fits well enough to be safe and work."
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

The rig I purchased is a Vector III and after contacting the manufacturer with my measurements they said the only thing they would have changed if they had made the rig custom for me is the MLW would have been 1/2" shorter! So that's good news

I guess chest and waist sizes have a little more wiggle room when buying used then the rest.