freethefly

AIDS, The Deadliest Epidemic in History

The Reagan administration’s reaction to AIDS is complex and goes far beyond Reagan’s refusal to speak out about the epidemic

Because speaking out about it would stopped it dead in it's tracks. 20 years later still no cure and I bet it's because of Reagan.[/reply

Read the book And the Band Played On. It chronicles the first 5 years of the AIDS epidemic. The Reagan admin did jack in the begining. I'm not saying they could've stopped it, but at least they could've done something rather than sit on their asses and wait till 1987 to mention the word AIDS. Six years after the first reoperted case. And what did he offer, widespread routine testing. :S

By the end of that year 59,572 AIDS cases had been reported and 27,909 of those women and men had died. How could this happen? How could Reagan not say anything? Do anything?

There are only three situations where a person is truly a victim of aids. Children who are born to someone who has the disease,Someone who has received a bad blood transfusion, and someone who is the victim of rape.
There is a simple prevention. It's called" keep it in your pants."
I also believe that alot of people want a cure for all the wrong reasons. The desire to continue a lifestyle of bad behavior is not a legitimate reason to prevent a disease.
If someone says "Don't touch it, it's hot." Why should anyone feel sorry for you because of your foolishness?

There are only three situations where a person is truly a victim of aids. Children who are born to someone who has the disease,Someone who has received a bad blood transfusion, and someone who is the victim of rape.

How about nurses who have needle stick mishaps? They should die too, they are culpable. Actually, all but the three above are a bunch of dirty fags, right?

There is a simple prevention. It's called" keep it in your pants."

Any risky behavior, and let's face it, EVERYTHING is risky anymore, carries a degree of risk. If we abstain, we live in small worlds afraid of life.

I also believe that alot of people want a cure for all the wrong reasons. The desire to continue a lifestyle of bad behavior is not a legitimate reason to prevent a disease.

:S:S:S

Huh? Come again? SO the very 3 innocent groups you listed are going to die so the very fags, as you would call them, can die too. Let me go out on a limb here..... you are pro capital punishment, even tho we kill an innocent man on occassion..... it's just collateral damage, right Timothy (McVeigh)? AIDS or not, people are going to kill, have sex, and engage in risky behavior, like skydiving..... even if they know it might kill them. That's it, innocent people are killed by the skydiving business, a business and hobby/sport people voluntarily engage in, so maybe it would be the right thing to do to outlaw it.

If someone says "Don't touch it, it's hot." Why should anyone feel sorry for you because of your foolishness?

If someone says, "Don't jump, it might kill you, should anyone feel sorry for those who die?

HIV / AIDS is such a funny topic standalone,

Never said it was. If you would have read my post you might have gotten that.

I don't see why it's diificult to in interject comedy or satire.

After reading your post I dont think you would have been able to understand it anyway

Your compassion nausiates me.

I'll make sure to make a note of that and place it in my file labeled "I dont give a damn"

Rookie, as in rookie cop?

Not even close.

Just a guess

Keep on guessing. You eventually might get it right.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

>Children who are born to someone who has the disease,Someone who
>has received a bad blood transfusion, and someone who is the victim of rape.

And doctors who catch it from needle sticks. And women who catch it from their husbands. And men who catch it from their wives. And men who catch it from women who (as far as they know) do not have the disease. And men who catch it from men who think the same thing.

>The desire to continue a lifestyle of bad behavior is not a
>legitimate reason to prevent a disease.

So you feel lung cancer and heart disease do not have legitimate reasons to justify work on a cure? (After all, if one does not smoke or overeat, exercises regularly, and avoids areas of high air pollution, the majority of those cases would disappear.)

>If someone says "Don't touch it, it's hot." Why should anyone feel sorry
>for you because of your foolishness?

Would you feel sorry if a friend of yours was paralyzed due to a skydiving accident?

Huh? Come again? SO the very 3 innocent groups you listed are going to die so the very fags, as you would call them, can die too.

As you would call them? When did he ever say anything of the such? You are just throwing bombs at everybody. Since you did such a piss poor job guessing who I was I'm gonna say your doing the same with this guy now.

Let me go out on a limb here

I want to cut the whole thing down

you are pro capital punishment, even tho we kill an innocent man on occassion..... it's just collateral damage, right Timothy (McVeigh)? AIDS or not, people are going to kill, have sex, and engage in risky behavior, like skydiving..... even if they know it might kill them. That's it, innocent people are killed by the skydiving business, a business and hobby/sport people voluntarily engage in, so maybe it would be the right thing to do to outlaw it.

He you go again labeling people. Why dont you speak with some facts instead of trying to rip the person apart. If you spent half the amount of time talking about the issue as you do saying how people you dont know are in life, we might be able to discuss somethings here.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

>Children who are born to someone who has the disease,Someone who
>has received a bad blood transfusion, and someone who is the victim of rape.

And doctors who catch it from needle sticks. And women who catch it from their husbands. And men who catch it from their wives. And men who catch it from women who (as far as they know) do not have the disease. And men who catch it from men who think the same thing.

>The desire to continue a lifestyle of bad behavior is not a
>legitimate reason to prevent a disease.

So you feel lung cancer and heart disease do not have legitimate reasons to justify work on a cure? (After all, if one does not smoke or overeat, exercises regularly, and avoids areas of high air pollution, the majority of those cases would disappear.)

>If someone says "Don't touch it, it's hot." Why should anyone feel sorry
>for you because of your foolishness?

Would you feel sorry if a friend of yours was paralyzed due to a skydiving accident?

Great minds think alike....... I wrote many of the same things in a recent post. :P

HIV / AIDS is such a funny topic standalone,

Never said it was. If you would have read my post you might have gotten that.

I don't see why it's diificult to in interject comedy or satire.

After reading your post I dont think you would have been able to understand it anyway

Your compassion nausiates me.

I'll make sure to make a note of that and place it in my file labeled "I dont give a damn"

Rookie, as in rookie cop?

Not even close.

Just a guess

Keep on guessing. You eventually might get it right.

So you were considering levity... special.

Often it's the people who advocate against public help for various social issues, but when they need help they vry the loudest and act the most surprised. So are you afraid that good money that could be turned into bombs would instead be directed into saving people's lives?

Huh? Come again? SO the very 3 innocent groups you listed are going to die so the very fags, as you would call them, can die too.

As you would call them? When did he ever say anything of the such? You are just throwing bombs at everybody. Since you did such a piss poor job guessing who I was I'm gonna say your doing the same with this guy now.

Let me go out on a limb here

I want to cut the whole thing down

you are pro capital punishment, even tho we kill an innocent man on occassion..... it's just collateral damage, right Timothy (McVeigh)? AIDS or not, people are going to kill, have sex, and engage in risky behavior, like skydiving..... even if they know it might kill them. That's it, innocent people are killed by the skydiving business, a business and hobby/sport people voluntarily engage in, so maybe it would be the right thing to do to outlaw it.

He you go again labeling people. Why dont you speak with some facts instead of trying to rip the person apart. If you spent half the amount of time talking about the issue as you do saying how people you dont know are in life, we might be able to discuss somethings here.

The whole post focuses on your occupation.... whatever. One has to guess why a person would be so incompassionate to social issues and it seems many cops are like that; you have "Rookie" as your usename - did the math.

He you go again labeling people. Why dont you speak with some facts instead of trying to rip the person apart. If you spent half the amount of time talking about the issue as you do saying how people you dont know are in life, we might be able to discuss somethings here

I'm not tearing anyone apart, just curious of the incompassion. Thrith is, ignorance generally fuels that kind of incompassion. As for, "how you are in life," I think you bring that home by yourself.

HMMMmmmmmm, I wonder why the other side doesn't address the whole, "risky behavior" thing? Could it be that we are engaged in the riskiest behavior by many definitions and there is no real good rebuttal? So with your logic, the paramedics show up, turn and say, "Oh, he was skydiving, we don't have the budget to care for people who engage in risky, foolish behavior.

I was disgnosed with HIV last year. I contracted it by having unprotected sex with my partner of 3 years (whom was seeing other people behind my back).

I am sorry for your situation. I do not know you personally,nor am I attacking you personally.
In todays society of promiscuity, where just having sex for sex sake is the status quo, one would do well to approach every potential relationship with a
"guilty until proven innocent" mentality. Your life could be on the line.
Again, I am not picking on you personally.I do not know where, why, or how you met your boyfriend.
Chances are, that cheating on his mate was probably a lifestyle with him, and there were probably
red flags that you chose to ignore. Especially if you were in love with him.

As for my victims list, I should amend it to include anyone who comes into accidental contact with the disease.

We are all human, this is a community disease, it must be tackled with us together as a community.

You have pointed it out quite clearly. Sex should not be a community activity, which it seems to have become.

I have personally been celibate since 1990, after my exwife-God rest her soul- decided that a
party lifestyle was more important than living a quiet, peaceful life with a jerk like me.

I would prefer to live in a self imposed exile, and remain healthy, than be exiled by my community because of something that I brought upon myself
simply because I had to fulfill my sexual lust.

If those who have contracted the disesase through, as I put it " bad behavior", had practised as much saftey and precaution as is used in skydiving they more than likely would not be where they are at.

As for being ignorant of aids, I don't need to know all of the medical jargon to make me knowledgable.

Staying away from large crowds of people in the winter will greatly decrease your chance of getting a cold or the flu. If you don't have to do it , don't.

So you feel lung cancer and heart disease do not have legitimate reasons to justify work on a cure? (After all, if one does not smoke or overeat, exercises regularly, and avoids areas of high air pollution, the majority of those cases would disappear

You have pretty much answered your own question.
If a person does all of the right things and the contracts the disease through genetic predisposition, that person should be the first to receive treatment.

How many people have you seen getting treated for lung cancer, and refuse to stop smoking in order to give treatment a decent chance?

Do you remember Mickey Mantle, the baseball player. He turned out to be a drunk, but because of his celebrity status, he received a transplant liver and was dead within months. I personally consider that a waste.
If you have a forty pound beer belly and complain about a bad back, you do not deserve my compassion. The pregnant woman, on the other hand does.

Chances are, that cheating on his mate was probably a lifestyle with him, and there were probably red flags that you chose to ignore. Especially if you were in love with him.

Your first comments on how/why people get HIV was way wrong, and now you're compounding the mistake with lousy assumptions like this.

You apparently know nothing of flying-wench's circumstance -- is it really worth making shit up just so you can continue to believe your own incorrect notions on the topic?

. . =(_8^(1)

I have personally been celibate since 1990

And because of this you think others should follow in your footsteps on the road of moral living? Who made you the morals police? I have been without since 02 and not by choice. No poz women that I know of in this area. I'm sure there is but they seem to be not very open. Wish they were, gurantee I'd be all over them. Sorry if that offends your sense of morality but I place pussy high on the list of things I like. The last girlfriend was also poz and yes we used protection so not to re-infect. You can place yourself in exile if that is how you wish to live. I'm alive and wish to live like eachday is the last. If by chance I meet someone and she just wants sex, no strings attached, hell yes, I am taking it. I am human and I am a man who does not live as if I am in prison and I certianly will not put myself in exile.

As for my victims list, I should amend it to include anyone who comes into accidental contact with the disease.

I really have to refrain on this one.

If those who have contracted the disesase through, as I put it " bad behavior", had practised as much saftey and precaution as is used in skydiving they more than likely would not be where they are at.

Shit happens. A person can do everything right and still get infected. Condoms can and do break. But then your answer to ending the epidemic is simply keeping it in your pants. Where were you 25 years ago. With such forward thinking this epidemic could had been stopped in its tracks.:S

***As for being ignorant of aids, I don't need to know all of the medical jargon to make me knowledgable

No you do not need to know the medical jargon, but you do need to know the basic facts about HIV/AIDS before you can make an intelligent statement. Click the link and educate yourself and try and see past your preconcieved misconception.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/factsheets/index.htm

I post these things so that maybe people will learn from it. There is far more info available today than there was 11 years ago when I contracted HIV. At the time I have never heard of HIV. I heard of AIDS, but thought it was only gay people who got it. Knowing what I know now I see how uninformed I was. I hear people say that they could NEVER contract the virus. Hmmm, with the amount of info that is available I find such statement to be foolish.
Hope you learn something.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

>I should amend it to include anyone who comes into accidental
>contact with the disease.

Fair enough - but you have now included 99.9% of people who have the disease.

>I don't need to know all of the medical jargon to make me knowledgable.

Well, you sorta do. If you don't know how the disease is transmitted, or how it's managed, or what 'viral load' means, then you're not going to be able to talk about it very well. Imagine having a conversation with a whuffo who thought you were crazy for skydiving, but didn't know skydivers used reserves. Would you take his opinion seriously?

Fair enough - but you have now included 99.9% of people who have the disease

Just to be clear, I'm not including those who got drunk, got laid, and just can't imagine where they would've gotten it.

Fair enough - but you have now included 99.9% of people who have the disease

Just to be clear, I'm not including those who got drunk, got laid, and just can't imagine where they would've gotten it.

Your sig line is totally at variance with the attitude you show in this thread.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Your sig line is totally at variance with the attitude you show in this thread.

Following the crowd and doing the same as everyone else is not what I would call living on the edge. A self sustaining lifestyle is not someplace most people care to go.
Now, if I chose your lifestyle, and said consequences be damned, I'll take my licks without complaint, then I'd be living on the edge.

I'm alive and wish to live like eachday is the last. If by chance I meet someone and she just wants sex, no strings attached, hell yes, I am taking it.

So, by this statment, you have validated my point that continuation of bad behavior is one of the driving forces behind a cure for aids, or have you decided that your time is limited and you are going to live life to the fullest as you perceive it: screw the consequences.

To listen to you, one would assume that there is no virtue or reward in living of life of self control, which, by the way, generally takes far greater strength and resolve than just blowing through life, consequences be damned.

Now, if I chose your lifestyle, and said consequences be damned,

I don't think you're supposed to do it back :P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Now, if I chose your lifestyle, and said consequences be damned, I'll take my licks without complaint, then I'd be living on the edge.

What exactly do you think my lifestyle is? (Hint: I'm a 60 year old monogamous heterosexual male).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>continuation of bad behavior is one of the driving forces behind a cure for aids . . .

I know some of the people working on cures and treatments for AIDS, and not one of them advocates bad behavior. Indeed, they are the people yelling the loudest for condom usage, abstinence and regular testing. AIDS will be eradicated not by abstinence, or by condom usage, or by a treatment/vaccine, but by a combination of all three.