Royd

How about " I am an atheist, and proud of it?

BTW, aren't the drug companies run by scientific research? They tell us they know what they are doing,[trust us, we know what we are doing] and a year after a new drug comes out, they pull it off of the market because it's destroying people's lives. Is that the science you're talking about?

Silly line of argument. 'I know pilots who've crashed planes, therefore pilots don't know what they're doing and I'm never going to go flying again!'

Besides, drug companies are not 'run by science'. They are run by extremely rich businessmen who employ chemists to get the maximum possible results with the minimum possible investment. Sometimes that means the bottom line takes precedence over doing completely exhaustive testing before general release. Blame capitalism, not the scientific method.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Yes, but these people tout themselves as the big boys. If you can't trust them for the truth, how can we trust those who are hypothesizing on something that supposedly happened 50 million, or was it 100 million years ago.
It is amazing the amount of energy that is put into discounting a book that was written over a period of about 2,000yr. and we can actually hold it in our hands today.
Once again, I don't see too many people discounting the writings of other religions.
There must be something in the Bible that is greatly disturbing.

Sorry, but you are over simplifying and generalising (if you dont mind me saying). But thanks for the +/- 50 million years reminder:P

There are alot of people who promote themselves as 'experts' .... scientists, politicians etc... that I would trust to tell the truth, if I asked them what time it was....

Again, the content of the Bible that you have in your hand has been through a number of translations and edits... how can we pull the truth out if it's current contents?

As for the lack of discussion over other religions books, this goes back to what we discussed earlier... exposure. We have been exposed to the Bible but I have not been exposed to any other religious writtings and (Lazy) I have no interest.

Regards,

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Silly line of argument. 'I know pilots who've crashed planes, therefore pilots don't know what they're doing and I'm never going to go flying again

The point I am making is that as a whole, we accept by faith that the scientific community knows what they are doing because it's "science."
The next thing you know our liver has been destroyed by something that they said was good for us.
A chemist is a scientist. At least, when I was in high school they were. If science is morally superior, shouldn't they be holding the line on what works and what doesn't?

Someone with a truly open mind, a true scientist, will explore,without prejudice,all aspects of a subject, even though the basic idea is disagreeable to him.
Thus, we cannot discount something out of hand, just because it has moved through several centuries
of translations. I'm sure that the basic tenents are still intact.
I'll take my own advice toward evolutionary theory, and save you the reply.

The next thing you know our liver has been destroyed by something that they said was good for us.
A chemist is a scientist. At least, when I was in high school they were. If science is morally superior, shouldn't they be holding the line on what works and what doesn't?

I never implied a chemist wasn't a scientist.

Whats your point anyway? I've already explained market forces and company dynamics to you. If drug companies did wait until they were sure their products were perfect before release then it would be decades before any new drug ever hit the shelves. Progress always comes with risk. Also, you can recognise a difference between commercial product developement and academic research in fields like evolutionary biology or astrophysics right?

One final point, who says science has anything to do with morality? Developing the A-bomb was a huge scientific achievement but not many would call it a moral triumph.

Yes, but these people tout themselves as the big boys. If you can't trust them for the truth, how can we trust those who are hypothesizing on something that supposedly happened 50 million, or was it 100 million years ago.

Then how can we trust those hypothesising about stuff that happened 2000 years ago? I'd trust the scientists more as thier work is publish and they allow other people to comment and correct them. They are working on physical laws which are repeatable.

The bible is written on a bunch of accounts. It was common practice in the middle ages to rewrite history to suit the person who was in charge discrediting the old holder of the post, how can you tell me that the bible hasnt been subject to that.

It is amazing the amount of energy that is put into discounting a book that was written over a period of about 2,000yr. and we can actually hold it in our hands today.

Its also amazing how much energy is put into trying to argue for believing a book that was written 2000 years ago.

Once again, I don't see too many people discounting the writings of other religions.
There must be something in the Bible that is greatly disturbing.

Or its just because my Arabic sucks.

I'll take my own advice toward evolutionary theory, and save you the reply.

Now I'm not against people teaching evolution theory (not against teaching religion as a whole). What I do object is them teaching it as fact in science lessons.

Its not fact. It cannot be replicated or proved. Darwins theory can be observed. Changes in environment lead to changes in animal population.

Even if you can prove it via science, it's still God's work.

This is why I believe science over religion. Scientists put "theories" on the table. They are ready and waiting to be proved wrong by the wider scientific crowd and they have to prove how they got to thier conclusions.

Religous people tell you what happened. For example a scientist would have said "we believe that there is a possibilty Jesus existed etc..." where as a religous person would say "jesus existed..."

Oh, really and we should believe you why?

Answer me these questions..

1) why are you religious? Was it becuase parents made you or did you find it of your own free will.

2) What proves to you god exists and lets you believe your faith. (I wouldnt use the bible as proof god exists becuase I'll use google as proof he doesnt [:/] )

3) Do you think thier is a possibility you may be wrong? I know there is a possiblty that god "may" exist however I have never heard a religious person say they may be wrong.

------
Two of the three voices in my head agree with you. It might actually be unanimous but voice three only speaks Welsh.

***One final point, who says science has anything to do with morality?

From most of the threads I've read, the atheist, agnostic, community claims science as their final authority on all things. They also claim that their moral compass is as good as the Christians.
Therefore, that which they claim to be the highest authority in all things, must also be held to the highest standard in right and wrong.
Forget business. Someone has to step up to the plate and say something is right or wrong.
Sometimes, things truly are black and white.

The bible is written on a bunch of accounts. It was common practice in the middle ages to rewrite history to suit the person who was in charge discrediting the old holder of the post, how can you tell me that the bible hasnt been subject to that.

That is absolutely correct. It is a compilation of accounts over a period of about 2,000yr.
I would challenge you to read the beginning of the Book of Acts, and tell me that it wasn't written in the first person by the apostle Paul.
Do you also regard all other compilations of the history of antiquity as bogus? I'm sure that they have all been reinterrpruted from their original language.

As for people trying to rewrite history, we see it in this country amongst the liberals who just don't like the way things turn out. Everything from Columbus to the war in Iraq.

That is absolutely correct. It is a compilation of accounts over a period of about 2,000yr.
I would challenge you to read the beginning of the Book of Acts, and tell me that it wasn't written in the first person by the apostle Paul.
Do you also regard all other compilations of the history of antiquity as bogus? I'm sure that they have all been reinterrpruted from their original language.

As for people trying to rewrite history, we see it in this country amongst the liberals who just don't like the way things turn out. Everything from Columbus to the war in Iraq.

It wasnt written by the apostle Paul. Just becuase it is written in the front of a book doesnt make it true. I need more evidence than a single source to believe something.

------
Two of the three voices in my head agree with you. It might actually be unanimous but voice three only speaks Welsh.

Would you please also answer the question?

It wasnt written by the apostle Paul. Just becuase it is written in the front of a book doesnt make it true. I need more evidence than a single source to believe something.

As I recall, science demands absolute proof, not just biased assumptions, before coming to a conclusion. You, as a scientist, must be the one to prove your hypothesis.
I'm sure that with some serious research, it could be proven that the Apostle Paul was who he said he was, collaborated by secular sources, which seems to be your ticket to the truth.

>From most of the threads I've read, the atheist, agnostic,
>community claims science as their final authority on all things. They also
> claim that their moral compass is as good as the Christians.

No, they don't. Treating science as a moral guide is as silly as treating the bible as a science or astronomy textbook. All science can do is tell you with great accuracy what _did_ happen, and give you probabilities about what _will_ happen.

There is a small but finite possibility that your computer will not start up the next time you try to use it, for very simple reasons based on science. (Quantumn effects, basic materials science.) Odds are that it will. If it doesn't, that doesn't "prove science wrong" any more than the example of a christian like Timothy McVeigh "proves religion wrong."

>Therefore, that which they claim to be the highest authority in all things,
>must also be held to the highest standard in right and wrong.

To do that you must first understand what they are saying. Often, people don't.

>Forget business. Someone has to step up to the plate and say
>something is right or wrong. Sometimes, things truly are black and white.

And that attitude is why so many people don't understand science. At a very fundamental level, not only are things never black and white, the moral judgement associated with that statement doesn't even apply.

Besides, drug companies are not 'run by science'. They are run by extremely rich businessmen who employ chemists to get the maximum possible results with the minimum possible investment. Sometimes that means the bottom line takes precedence over doing completely exhaustive testing before general release. Blame capitalism, not the scientific method.

sorry, man, that's bullshit.

You only need look at the biotech corridor in the Bay Area (and I suspect San Diego) for the counter proof. Genentech and the dozens of splinter companies from former employees are run by science. They certainly don't ignore the business aspect of the game. But I'd say they're driven more by a god complex than pursuit of the dollar.

It seems many people want absolute proof before they believe. That's not faith.
They could find Noah's ark on Mt. Ararat filled with petrified animal dung, and it still wouldn't make a beleiver out of a God-hater.
He'd probably say that it was put there as a hoax by Christians.

My mom, despite being a non believer, was happy to visit "Noah's Ark" on her way to climbing Ararat. But the site is only proof that the Turks know how tourism as well as anyone else. You have to stretch your imagination (or faith) just to see an ark.

It's interesting that some of the great events described in the Bibles may have ordinary geological explanations. The Flood being a 100 year flood. The parting of the Red Sea being a spring tide exposing a shallow sand bar.

PAH!! Oh, the ignorance of this statement! Come to my company, my friend. Come tour my company. Teva Neuroscience, in Horsham Pennsylvania. We make Copaxone, an MS drug and just got FDA approval for a Parkinsons drug. And we're the world's largest generic drug manufacturer in the world. You won't be making that ridiculous statement after witnessing the science behind our drugs.

furthermore, I've done contract work for many other pharmaceutical companies, and while there are some unethical ones out there, by and large they ARE run by science. SOUND science.

and let's not even get into the cost of bringing a novel agent to market and all of that... let's just say you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

It seems many people want absolute proof before they believe. That's not faith.
They could find Noah's ark on Mt. Ararat filled with petrified animal dung, and it still wouldn't make a beleiver out of a God-hater.
He'd probably say that it was put there as a hoax by Christians.

My mom, despite being a non believer, was happy to visit "Noah's Ark" on her way to climbing Ararat. But the site is only proof that the Turks know how tourism as well as anyone else. You have to stretch your imagination (or faith) just to see an ark.

It's interesting that some of the great events described in the Bibles may have ordinary geological explanations. The Flood being a 100 year flood. The parting of the Red Sea being a spring tide exposing a shallow sand bar.

the turks let people climb ararat? didn't know! i thought they didn't do that sort of thing.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Again, the content of the Bible that you have in your hand has been through a number of translations and edits... how can we pull the truth out if it's current contents?

You mean like all these?

Romans 5:10 (New American Standard Version) For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.

Romans 5:10 (New International Version) For if, when we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!

Romans 5:10 (New Living Translation) For since we were restored to friendship with God by the death of his Son while we were still his enemies, we will certainly be delivered from eternal punishment by his life.

Romans 5:10 (King James Version) For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Romans 5:10 (New King James Version) For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.

Romans 5:10 (21st Century King James Version) For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of His Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.

Romans 5:10 (English Standard Version) For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life.

Romans 5:10 (Contemporary English Version) Even when we were God's enemies, he made peace with us, because his Son died for us. Yet something even greater than friendship is ours. Now that we are at peace with God, we will be saved by his Son's life.

Romans 5:10 (American Standard Version) For if, while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, shall we be saved by his life;

Romans 5:10 (Young's Literal Translation) for if, being enemies, we have been reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved in his life.

Romans 5:10 (New Life Version) We hated God. But we were saved from the punishment of sin by the death of Christ. He has brought us back to God and we will be saved by His life.

Yeah, just LOOK at how the meaning of this verse has completely changed throughout the course of time and number of translations!

Translations/versions remain awfully constant, don't they? No matter how/when you translate it, its meaning remains the same. The bible is dependable no matter which version you use.

The book of Acts is believed to have been written by Luke, a physician and historian who was a close associate of Paul. Seeing the following intro. to the book, why would you doubt it was written by someone other than Luke?

Acts1:1 "In my former book, Theophilus, I wrote about all that Jesus began to do and to teach 2 until the day he was taken up to heaven, after giving instructions through the Holy Spirit to the apostles he had chosen. 3 After his suffering, he showed himself to these men and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God..."

Note that he mentions a "former" report, and he mentions that the recipient of the report was a guy named Theophilus. If you look at the gospel which Luke wrote, you'll recognize that it is the "former" report he was speaking of at the beginning of the book of Acts. Here's Luke 1:1-4--

Luke 1:1 Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, 2 just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word. 3 Therefore, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, it seemed good also to me to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, 4 so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught..."
Blue skies & happy jitters ~Mockingbird
"Why is there something rather than nothing?"

But I'd say they're driven more by a god complex than pursuit of the dollar.

I can't tell by your posts where you actually stand on the main issue, but as a whole, I believe that statement is correct.
Alot of what the scientific community does in done under the guise of benifiting mankind, when, in truth, they believe that there is nothing or noone more powerful or intelligent than them.
Believe me, if they had free rein to do as they pleased, there would be some horrific things done in the name of science, and all without the least tinge of conscience.
This is the line of thinking behind much of the atheistic, scientific community.

No God
No moral law
No right or wrong
no repercussions

This is also the thinking behind the liberal left within politics. They walk hand in hand.

<>
- Let's show some balance here.

You've got to admit that if someone wasn't putting a thumb on the scientific community, things would run amuck quickly.
There would be experiments that would equal or exceed those of the Nazis.

You've got to admit that if someone wasn't putting a thumb on the scientific community, things would run amuck quickly.
There would be experiments that would equal or exceed those of the Nazis.

Examples please?

Absolutely agree. I think that you call it oversight, in the US... but public accountability is dream. There will always be certain works that are carried out behind closed doors... we then need to trust our governments (yeah right!) to peform that task on our behalf.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome