sundevil777

Tony Snow a possibility for presidential spokesman

I think it would be a fantastic move. The spokesman gets as much air time on news bites as the president, and Tony Snow is really good at cutting through the crap. Scott McClellan was not.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Interesting idea. He'd only have to give up his media empire for two or so years and would come out of it in much better position than he is now, if he didn't melt while at the White House Press Room.

If he "survived" it, his potential value as a right-wing radio talk show host would surpass Rush because he'd actually have some "credibility" (as opposed to Rush who has never really done anything other than be a blow-hard radio voice).

What I don't think most folks like him consider though is how tough it is to do from the other side and in an uncontrolled situation. It's one thing to be the "reporter" and it's -quite- another to be the subject and in this position.

Look at that pansy Rush Limbaugh. He won't do practically anything outside of his own show because he wouldn't be in complete control of it. He wouldn't be able to threaten to turn off microphones and such.

As White House Press Secretary, the situation is very, VERY different. You HAVE to go into the briefing room and it's your job to face them because if you don't do it, they'll eat your boss for lunch.

You also can't be too much of an asshat. The job isn't to argue with the Press, but to persuade them.

Further, he'd be having to deal with he himself being part of a lame duck Administration. He would never really have as much power over the Press Corps as McClellen did because he's only going to be in the job for such a short time and everyone knows it.

Like I said in the other thread, it a difficult and thanksless job. McClellen stunk at it and 99% of the folks that would -want- the job probably would too. Those that are actually qualified, would want it and could actually handle it; a very small group.

Anyway, if the President wanted him and offered him the gig, I'm sure he'd do it and I'd wish him well. I would not carry over any animosity from the Foxnews connection at all. It simply wouldn't matter because the job is -totally- different.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

McClellan did a fine job. I've heard about Snow too, but I wonder if his battles with cancer won't be an issue he might have (his family too). He would do an excellent job though, I agree with you there.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Geez dude, got an issue with Rush? :P

He's a radio marketing genius . . . and a total fraud and asshat.

Rush -hurts- this country.

I agree with the very first part. Disagree with the rest.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

> Just out of curiousity, what's your opinion of Al Franken . . . .

Al Franken - Ann Coulter - Rush Limbaugh - all share the same basic job description. They say stuff that makes them money. I doubt Ann (or Al for that matter) believes some of the nonsense they spout, but they are VERY good at knowing what sort of nonsense makes them money. And in a capitalist society, that makes them successful.

I see them as little different than a well-paid actor - with the exception that they write their own material.

Bill beat me to it, except I think Franken is "funnier" in his delievery (which is intentional -- he is a comedian afterall), whereas you have to Rush and Coulter claim to be "serious".
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I would not carry over any animosity from the Foxnews connection at all.

I understand how irritating it is that Fox News is so popular. I acknowledge that they lean to the right, but geez, they also have very notable libs on their discussion panels, such as Mara Liason of NPR (sp?), Juan Williams of NPR...I think Brit Hume's show is really good.

I think Tony Snow was much better than Chris Michaels on their Sunday show. Snow was a speech writer for Reagan, I believe.

A link to the full 5 minute interview of Tony Snow is on O'Reilly's website through foxnews.com
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Geez dude, got an issue with Rush? :P

He's a radio marketing genius . . . and a total fraud and asshat.

Rush -hurts- this country.

I think Tavis Smiley, and Dan Rather is/was a total fraud and asshat.

Limbaugh states things as fact that simply are not true. I used to be a dedicated dittohead, but I started actually thinking for myself and checking his 'facts', and soon realized that he is mostly talking out of his formerly big fat ass.

Ann Coulter is an absolutely insane bitch. I would not shed a tear were she to be brutally raped with a two-handed broad sword.

Al Franken is hilarious, although somewhat annoying at times.

Frankly, I wish the 'talking heads' would all go away, and the news got back to 'just the facts'. How about allowing the people to form their own opinions?

Zipp0

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

Bill is very right on this point....

I listened to Anne Coulter on Fox the other day talking about how we should build a wall on the border. She said we should use Illegal Mexicans to build it since they are cheap labor, and then send them back once it is complete....

Though I found this entertaining and quite comical, she certainly can't be serious. It does make for good radio and tv though.

Chris

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

Guest 1010

Bill beat me to it, except I think Franken is "funnier" in his delievery (which is intentional -- he is a comedian afterall), whereas you have to Rush and Coulter claim to be "serious".

You have got to be kidding. Ann Coulter is funny as hell, Franken is about as funny as well, SNL for the past 20 years. :|

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

Guest 1010

McClellan did a fine job. I've heard about Snow too, but I wonder if his battles with cancer won't be an issue he might have (his family too). He would do an excellent job though, I agree with you there.

The communication section of this administration has been a disaster, whether that falls on McClellan or not (it certainly does fall on the Prez) I don't know. A good illumination of this is that when Tony Blair came here and presented such coherent and well-spoken arguments for the war and our presence overseas. I couldn't help but think that if we had someone in the administration as well-spoken as him, the political landscape would be immensely improved here.

I'd like to see Tony take the job, I think it would be good for the country (by being good for this administration). But like so many of the political jobs, 24 hours is so little time in a day.

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

>and Tony Snow is really good at cutting through the crap.

I agree with you there. I wonder how he will deal with all the negative things he's said about the administration, though. I could see that becoming a big time sink:

Reporter: Do you think Bush has lost control of the federal budget?

Snow: We've had some problems with the budget due to the war, but we certainly haven't lost control of it.

Reporter: Then what did you mean when you said last month that he has lost control of the federal budget?