Tenshi

If you can't stand the heat.

Yesterday I saw a documentary about the war in Iraq. The basic message was that the war in Iraq was a total catastrophe and many soldiers get killed and severely wounded every day. The parents of the soldiers supported the troops, but not the war.

The goal of the documentary was to make the viewer feel sorry for the soldiers. They showed a couple of kids who joined the military or the reserve to pay for college or because they wanted to protect the free world.

I must say that I have some mixed feelings about this. If you join the military, there's the chance you're going to be in combat. Basically, you sign a contract which says you are willing to give your life for your country/freedom. And let's face it, if you are living in a country like the US of A, you should know there's a significant chance you're actually going to be drafted (if you're with the reserve) and sent to a warzone.

Don't get me wrong, I felt bad for some of the soldiers. But they did join (as opposed to being drafted like it was during the Vietnam war) the military of a nation that frequently goes to war. So why am I always hearing that Bush is responsible for the death of the 2000+ American soldiers that got killed in Iraq?

It's odd that people keep signing that contract then act surprised when they have to fight. But keep in mind it's 17 and 18 year olds who generally know nothing about history except the bleached patriotic pap taught in public schools.

And also remember the large number of National Guard members who joined because they sincerely believed in defending this country from invaders and had little reason to believe they'd be forced to invade someone else's country instead.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Yes. I totally agree.

My message to young Americans: if you wanna do something for your country, there's other ways to do it than to join the military. And should the occasion arise that a war which threatens our liberty breaks out, you can still sign up.

Tenshi - How about changing that to "My message to young Americans: if you wanna do something for your country, there's OTHER ways to do it than to join the military." Serving in the military and protecting your country in war AND peace is still an honorable way to serve your fellow citizen, but it may not be for everybody.

"Better a has-been than a never-was. Better a never-was than a never-tried-to-be..."

i disagree with the premise of your post for two reasons.
1. if war breaks out and you try to join to fight in it, you'll be too late(generally). two instances, desert storm and enduring freedom.
2. my opinion is that everyone should serve in the military to gain discipline, and gain understanding of the way to function in society. the new generation of american youth have no clue how to behave, and grew up with no sense of discipline.
of course, there are exceptions and compulsory service is not for everyone, however, it is generally a good idea.
as for the whining about going to war when you're in the military: get over it, you're soldiers. deal with it, just like i did(twice) along with every veteran who came before and after me.

Seems reasonable.

1. if war breaks out and you try to join to fight in it, you'll be too late(generally).

Have you not seen Independence Day?

Seriously though...I must disagree with all the discipline. Sure it's a great value but is it worth getting shot over in the desert? furthermore there's bett...I mean OTHER ways to get some discipline.

Tennshi I agree completly and I am sick of people complaing about the deaths/injuries. This is part of the soilders life that they (and myself) chose. If you didnt know what you were getting into than you then probably arent the brightest person anyways and we should let darwism take its course. SFzombie, I do agree that millitary service will benifit just about anyone (particulaly younger people) I still dont think it should be mandatory. I think a volunter force is more reliable and creats less problems. In extreme cases of national defence I still support a draft and belive that every fighting man should serve if needed but currently that is not the situation.

Ive gatered this opinion from serving in different units. All have been combat arms units but at different levels. the units that were just a general assignment after completing basic traing/AIT were less trained and more discpline problems than units that required aditional voluntier training. In short with a voluntier army you have a higher precentage of people glad to be there. on the other hand millitary service would be valuable for any young american, I jsut dont want the possiblty of it draging down the Army to a lower standard. Sorry this got longer than I attended.

Before I piss anyone off, this is just from what Ive seen, Im not trying to say that any voluntier airborne infantry unit will always bee better than a light infantry unit. But from my expericne I have seen a differance

2. my opinion is that everyone should serve in the military to gain discipline, and gain understanding of the way to function in society. the new generation of american youth have no clue how to behave, and grew up with no sense of discipline.

I disagree with this statement. I do not believe that a militaristic type society is necessarily a healthy society. I have friends who have served (some still are serving), others who haven't, and some never would. I can not tell that one kind is "better" than the other, nor that one kind has better social skills than the other. I think it has a lot more to do with character and personality than having to do with what you learn at boot camp or in the trenchees. Both "kind" I consider great people though. MHO.

In regards to the statement in the original post, I do agree that when one joins the military, he/she should be ready to see combat time. Joining merely for the lure of scholarship or other advantages is, IMO, understandable, but somewhat foolish. In the same token, recruiters should not lure people to join using such baits. I do not know whether they do or not, but if they do, it is wrong.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."