Second 9/11 thwarted

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4697896.stm

Why do we only learn about this stuff now, 4 years after it was thwarted?

I guess it all depends on the motivation for the secrecy. If it's because they were genuinely concerned about compromising intelligence methods and sources, then I don't have a problem with the lack of publicity. If, on the other hand, the sole motivation was to avoid public alarm, then that's not a good enough reason to keep information away from the public in an open society.

opsec maybe?

What's opsec?

OH sweet jesus....go join the army will ya?:ph34r:

I hum it cause I can (Henry 3:16

I'm in the UK, we have different terminology here. I didn't want to assume it was operational security.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

What's opsec?

The word "opsec" is a lot like surplus store camoflage and plastic M-16s. Average guys can say jargon words like "opsec" (instead of just speaking English) or dress up in halloween costumes and hope people mistake them for tough military heros.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

:o Shhh!

The only thing that surprises me is that they didn't prepare the charade a little better. Apparently Bush couldn't even get the name of the supposed target building right in his speech.

'Library', Mr. president. It's called the 'Library Tower', not 'Liberty Tower'.

I know he usually gives bumbling readings, but this is a hell of a revealing moment.

It's obvious he's never heard anyone say the name of the building. He couldn't have discussed this event with anyone or he'd have heard the substantial difference in pronunciations between those two words.

Freudian slip? Hardly. But it sure does suggest it never happened. If it was for real, he would surely have discussed it dozens of times and someone would have pointed out the correct name.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Opsec is used in all military and a lot of civilian areas. It's a term referencing rules, regulations, security requirements, ect . . .about the classification and disbursement of classified information regarding National Security. It's not a "cool" word.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Just reportingt that in 2002 another one was stopped on the US West Coast. More details coming in Bush's speech today!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Just reportingt that in 2002 another one was stopped on the US West Coast. More details coming in Bush's speech today!

Perhaps he'll also tell us about Iraq's WMDs, the small size of the deficit and how it's only short-term, how the US doesn't torture anyone, how Social Security is his HIGHEST priority, and how the US doesn't do ANY wiretapping without a warrant, and other similar stories of his from the past.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Perhaps he'll also tell us about Iraq's WMDs, the small size of the deficit and how it's only short-term, how the US doesn't torture anyone, how Social Security is his HIGHEST priority, and how the US doesn't do ANY wiretapping without a warrant, and other similar stories of his from the past.

Compared to what other countries do, we are not as bad as you think. If it is so bad, why not move out of this country?
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

You are an angry person .......

Rush Limbaugh was correct though when he said that liberals are fun to watch when they are out of power:)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Compared to what other countries do, we are not as bad as you think. If it is so bad, why not move out of this country?

Michael, what country are you writing this from again?

;)

I have lived in former USSR, Austria, Italy, USA and Canada. Though I am in Canada currently, I still consider myself American.

Michael, what country are you writing this from again?

;)

I have lived in former USSR, Austria, Italy, USA and Canada. Though I am in Canada currently, I still consider myself American.

I often hear people complain so much about the Ameican government. I realize we have a monkey for a president right now...but that's only for a few more years. Truth is most people who bitch and complain have never had the displeasure of living under other governments. I tell you what....United States ROCKS!!!

What's opsec?

The word "opsec" is a lot like surplus store camoflage and plastic M-16s. Average guys can say jargon words like "opsec" (instead of just speaking English) or dress up in halloween costumes and hope people mistake them for tough military heros.

damn! can't even get a reach-around. i thought it would be the least you could do considering...

maybe i used that term just because i'm used to it. either way, don't let us "tough military heros" get your panties in a bunch, mkay.
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

.... details coming in Bush's speech today!

Perhaps he'll also tell us about Iraq's WMDs....

Would they be the Iraqi WMDs they found 4 years ago and secretly destroyed so as not to panic the population? The Iraqi WMDs that Saddam had cunningly hoarded away in an American Military Chemical Weapons Bunker?

Damned cunning, these Muslims... It's a good thing we've got an intellect of Dubya's calibre to outwit them!:P

Mike.

PS: The Center for Disease Control has issued a warning about a new virulent disease. The disease is contracted through dangerous and high-risk behavior. The disease is called Gonorrhea Lectim and pronounced "gona-re-elect-im." Many victims contracted it in 2004, after having been screwed for the past four years.

Cognitive characteristics of individuals infected include: anti-social personality disorders, delusions of grandeur with messianic overtones, extreme cognitive dissonance, inability to incorporate new information, pronounced xenophobia and paranoia, inability to accept responsibility for own actions, cowardice masked by misplaced bravado, uncontrolled facial smirking, ignorance of geography and history, tendencies towards evangelical theocracy, categorical all-or-nothing behavior.

Naturalists and epidemiologists are amazed at how this destructive disease originated only a few years ago from a Bush found in Texas.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

You know, that sounds no different from the "America - love it or leave it" slogan that was said during the Vietnam War. It was bullshit then, and it's bullshit now. It's the age-old slander that a country's citizens who dare to criticize the government are unpatriotic and should get the hell out. Which - especially in a democracy - is patently ridiculous.

"The disease is called Gonorrhea Lectim"

Sadly a great many dicks have already been infected :)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4697896.stm

Why do we only learn about this stuff now, 4 years after it was thwarted?

because, in this day and age, information is power. those who can control or manipulate the information use the flow of information, and the content itself, to further their own agenda's.

when i was a kid, i'd read a book and believe everything that was written. when i got older, i started to learn about bias. so i started to read up on my authors, and learn about my sources. i would then read, analyze, and take into account any additional information i had learned about the information source *before* reaching any conclusions.

i would suggest the american people do the same, under any president.