billvon

While we're on the death penalty

killing is wrong, in any form WHAT SO EVER. whether one person kills another, the government kills someone for a crime, anyone kills someone else for any reason, i. e. religion, politics, nationalism, ideology, etc., ad nauseaum, if we as people support or advocate such behavior we are just as guilty as the one who commits the act.
we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively

wishers never choose, choosers never wish

Don't feel bad -- I can't make up my mind on abortion!

(Used to be staunchly "pro-choice"; now I find myself inexplicably feeling that no, it IS killing what amounts to a human life, and I feel opposed to it. At the same time, I see futility and danger in trying to ban it. ....

I feel pretty much the same way... I used to be strictly pro-choice, but now I'm on the fence about it. I would prefer to see abortion go away, except in very particular circumstances, but simply making it illegal is not going to solve such a complex problem... So yeah, I don't think I would start advocating to ban abortion unless I could think of a real solution...

Same with the death penalty... I used to think it was a good idea... But the more I've learned about it, the more I see that it's not really serving it's purpose - mostly because the system doesn't seem to be working so well... So I'm starting to think that it's not such a good idea.

killing is wrong, in any form WHAT SO EVER.

What about self-defense? Kill or be killed? Is that wrong?

Blanket statements like yours are typically not too thought out. Rather than stating allkilling is wrong, which I doubt even you actually believe, why not put a list of when killing is acceptable? It would make your argument more palateable.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Interesting...one part of my problem with the death penelty is I'm pro-choice. So, I don't see how I could be against the death penalty without calling myself a hypocrite.

Um, yeah.

And I find it odd that of the two groups to kill, you'd sooner allow unborn children to be killed (who have done nothing to ever harm anyone) than you would allow vicious murderers to be humanely executed after an open and public trial in which they are allowed to mount a defense, and also to appeal a guilty verdict.

That's truly fucked up. Can you see how it ends up looking like you want to be the protector of criminals?

Like I said, it doesn't weigh heavily on my mind. I'm more concerned with increasing the severity of the the maximum sentences for child abusers/molesters and sex offenders---and in those cases, I find myself really leaning toward death penalty![:/]

I have to ask, do you not also then support increasing the severity of the maximum sentences (I would have thought minimum sentences, to make sure they don't get the bottom end and have it be inadequate) for crimes like aggravated battery, and murder? And if not, why do you feel that MURDER does not rise to the level of deserving death, but a crime like molestation, which leaves a living victim who can be counseled to recovery, does?

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

killing is wrong, in any form WHAT SO EVER.

That's an absurd, mindlessly dogmatic statement. It's hard to respect someone's "opinion," when it's that frozen in illogic.

If a rapist were on top of a man's wife with a knife to her throat, about to finish his act and slit her open, and the man arrives home to see this, it's wrong for him to kill the rapist in order to stop his wife's murder?

Can you see that it's ridiculous to state absolutes like you just did in all-caps?

whether one person kills another, the government kills someone for a crime, anyone kills someone else for any reason, i. e. religion, politics, nationalism, ideology, etc., ad nauseaum, if we as people support or advocate such behavior we are just as guilty as the one who commits the act.

This, too, absurd. The only person responsible for a murder is the murderer, and/or anyone who ordered the murder.

When a criminal is executed, it's because laws that were written long before you and I were born call for it to happen. Neither you nor I made those laws come to be.

If I support the idea and like it, and you don't support the idea and don't like it, is that all that makes the difference between me being a "murderer" and you getting off scot-free? :S

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I am amazed at all the people think that if (I or anybody else) goes out and KILLS some one else (or a multible of people) I or who every should be rewarded with a roof over (MY OR THEIR HEAD) along with three meals a day free medical care for the rest of their lives plus gym dues paid for life while the victims family is punished

Can you see how it ends up looking like you want to be the protector of criminals?

No. I certainly didn't imply I am concerned about their protection (or not concerned--I'm quite certain I didn't share my thoughts on that).

(I would have thought minimum sentences, to make sure they don't get the bottom end and have it be inadequate)

Yes, I should have also included minimum. Thank you for the clarification.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.