okalb

Ernie and Bert

But, to give you a semi-serious answer; I think they are gay. I also think that it was a very subtle move by the Sesame Street people to promote tolerance. Sesame Street has dealt with a lot of issues of tolerance; I think this was their way of dealing with this in a non-confrontational way. Ernie and Bert being together was a non-issue. It just was. They're an active and accepted part of the community. :)
Of course, Snopes says it ain't true. But that article is 8 years old, so ... maybe things have changed.

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/gaymupp.htm
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

That has always been my thinking as well. I have always thought it was Sesame Street's way of easing people into accepting it.

I always laugh when people get mad at me for saying they are gay. I mean they are full grown men (puppets) who share a bedroom and bathe together.
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

Bert and Ernie from "It's a Wonderful Life" were painted that way??? ;)

Hmm... it's about time for my annual viewing of that movie. I'll have to pay attention for cues about them. Do we ever see a female significant other for either Bert or Ernie?

Things that make you go hmmm...

I had no sexual relations with that puppet.

well, it depends on the meaning of "had"

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I vote Gay as a 3 dollar bill.

To those that voted straight... show me one pair of totally hetero roommates that you know that take bubble baths together with no ulterior motives. This explicitly excludes hottubs, adding any females to the mix, dares, etc. I'm talkin two straight guys... in a bubble bath... with a rubber duck no less!

And I agree with snopes to a point. I would agree that it may have been created harmlessly enough (or accidentally, or even intentionally by an individual and he didnt share his vision). I am conviced that it was left alone out of convenience so that they can subliminally push the tolerance angle (not that we shouldnt have tolerance).

Its easy enough to fix without disrupting much. Just have one of them move next door. It worked for the show Freinds!
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!

Ah, at last - a serious and important question of the day, instead of the usual fluff like Iraq, or secret wiretaps or Shayna & Lutz.

It depends on whether Burt & Ernie are adults or children. The show leaves it pretty ambiguous.

If they're depicting 9 year old children, like 2 brothers or cousins or something, then they're just kids in the tub together. If they're adults, then they're hag-bait.

sheesh....they are just handpuppets! they have no sexual parts! no testosterone! I vote they are just good friends with absolutely no sex drive....

You're arguing that handpuppets are not capable of sex but they are capable of friendship?

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Another Question:

Were they born gay or did the Sesame Street environment make them gay? Not alot of availible women on Sesame Street.

You see there ya go bringing the nature/nurture argument into it. Now I am confused! ;)
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

sheesh....they are just handpuppets! they have no sexual parts! no testosterone! I vote they are just good friends with absolutely no sex drive....

marc

In Canada, earlier, we had a south-park style puppet show that at times, had some simulated sex scenes (ala south park style humor).

Are you telling me construction paper has no sex drive? ;)

marc

In Canada, earlier, we had a south-park style puppet show that at times, had some simulated sex scenes (ala south park style humor).

Are you telling me construction paper has no sex drive? ;)

He clearly hasn't seen Team America World Police (particularly the uncensored version). I'd say those puppets had a serious sex drive.B|

Bert and Ernie from "It's a Wonderful Life" were painted that way??? ;)

Hmm... it's about time for my annual viewing of that movie. I'll have to pay attention for cues about them. Do we ever see a female significant other for either Bert or Ernie?

Things that make you go hmmm...

Can't remember if we see a SO for either one, but there are references to Bert's wife. He's the taxi driver and when Clarence is showing Harry Bailey what Potterville is like because Harry was never born, Bert gets all pissed off and says his wife took the kids and left him. Ernie's the cop of course, so he's probably married AND banging every hooker in town whether it's Potterville OR Bedford Falls.

Your idea that Bert & Ernie are deliberately unnamed gays is most interesting. Without even going into the gay issues, which kids that young really don't need to struggle with, it does put forward the idea that there might be two guy neighbors who live together and they're alright too. Never thought of it that way before, I just thought the "gay agenda" folks were trying to hijack kids' puppets. But this is something to think about....

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !