JohnRich

Hurricane Katrina Racism

News:
Liberals in the aftermath of the storm were quick to allege that the Bush administration delayed its response to the catastrophe because most of the victims were black.

Damu Smith, founder of the National Black Environmental Justice Network, in September said that the federal government "ignored us, they forgot about us ... because we look like we look."

Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan in October said that the Federal Emergency Management Agency wasn't fit to help the storm's victims because "there are not enough blacks high up in FEMA" and added that, "certainly the Red Cross is the same."

Rapper Kanye West used his time on NBC's telethon for the hurricane victims to charge that, "George Bush doesn't care about black people."

But the state's demographic information suggests that whites in New Orleans died at a higher rate than minorities. According to the 2000 census, whites make up 28 percent of the city's population, but the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals indicates that whites constitute 36.6 percent of the storm's fatalities in the city. African-Americans make up 67.25 percent of the population and 59.1 percent of the deceased.
Source

And what else is new John? People who were there and protested, most likely were the ones participating in the looting, and playing the race card.

How do I know? I was there days after katrina hit, but of course it was later deemed to be a GWB fault issue, and the attempt of the Federal Government to destroy the levees in order to target the black population.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

>But the state's demographic information suggests that whites in
>New Orleans died at a higher rate than minorities.

I look forward to the day when the right wing does not play the race card to win arguments. (And yes, the left wing often does the same.) "Hey, look at those idiot blacks who are complaining that they were ignored - 9% more whites died! Those whiners."

Funny what you can do with statistics. From the same article:

Overall for the state, 658 bodies have been identified. Forty-seven percent were African-American and 42 percent were Caucasian. The remaining bodies were either non-black minorities or undetermined.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

I do think it was because he did not care, it is because he is nothing more than a low level manager who somehow got a really big promotion and simply did not know what to do!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D

Dick is the one who is really making the decisions in Washington, GWB is just a really bad PR person!!!! The only reason GWB got involved in Katrina is because Dick was too busy making big business money off the Iraqi war! When you are the chief point person for Halliburton, you're a busy guy!:D:D

Sorry, I just cannot help bashing the Pres! Yesterday at gym I watched some of his speech on tv......he is no Reagan that is for sure!:D:D:D

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

And what else is new John? People who were there and protested, most likely were the ones participating in the looting, and playing the race card.

"most likely"B| .... nice...[:/], you must understand and realize the state of destitution that poor place is in right now, as a matter of fact... research the word destitution. Connect with what these people are going through.. the mental anguish and trauma the victims of the hurricane are going through. They've thrown out all logical reasoning needed to function in "our world" so to speak, in order to deal with their current situation. Stealing from your neighbor is unacceptable by all means... at least for me, but for them and people in poverty around the world they steal for survival... as ***ANY ORGANISM*** does when confronted with danger or certain death... it's called instinct.

You think the Bayou was dangerous b4!?...

How do I know? I was there days after katrina hit, but of course it was later deemed to be a GWB fault issue, and the attempt of the Federal Government to destroy the levees in order to target the black population.

nother media circus people are buying tickets too... I walked out on that showing... >:(

"'Someday is not a day in my week'"

we saw on the news about 15 to 20 english people who were in fear of their lives INSIDE the astro dome (think its called that) they had to crowd together and try and not talk to anybody. They said that they were getting death threats made towards them for just being English :S and had to stand watch over each other

people where flying back to this country and saying in interviews that there as no law and order in the dome, and it was even worse on the streets as the blacks ran around like savages

but i guess its not their fault, and they had to do that to survive ;)

we saw on the news.......

thats your first mistake.... lol!!... a real thinkforyourselfer... huh?

who were in fear of their lives INSIDE ....

I'm sure you heard that on the tele as well, no? LOL!!

the astro dome (think its called that)...

It's in America..., you need a globe? stop meddling in something you know nothing about...

they had to crowd together and try and not talk to anybody. They said that they were getting death threats made towards them for just being English :S and had to stand watch over each other

they just wanted some muffins... :o:o:o

people where flying back to this country and saying in interviews that there as no law and order in the dome, and it was even worse on the streets as the blacks ran around like savages

ever read lord of the flies??? sounds like you need to do ALOT more reading than that as well...

but i guess its not their fault, and they had to do that to survive ;)

like I said.... you think it was dangerous b4???

death threats made towards them for just being English

maybe its cause the NO types dont understand the brits .... I mean it couldnt be a race or heritage thing... I mean those NO people were upstanding citizens until prez bush fucked them over....
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

from what we saw on TV, the majority of the population reverted back to type and ran around like apes

U and I should REALLY! meet, Im almost positive we will... it will be fun... for me anyway

are you saying everything i posted is not true? are all these people lieing, or that our media made it all up? was everything quite civilised and we've exaggerated just for the hell of it? do you think the people of New Orleans are not responsible for their own actions? if and its a big if, they did run around like apes... its not their fault and they were forced to act like they had just come out of the trees?

from what we saw on TV, the majority of the population reverted back to type and ran around like apes

U and I should REALLY! meet, Im almost positive we will... it will be fun... for me anyway

are you saying everything i posted is not true? are all these people lieing, or that our media made it all up? was everything quite civilised and we've exaggerated just for the hell of it? do you think the people of New Orleans are not responsible for their own actions? if and its a big if, they did run around like apes... its not their fault and they were forced to act like they had just come out of the trees?

Honestly,... I would like to know who you are to make such judgements about a fallen community and what would youlike see done to remedy the situation whether it be cut your losses and extingush them completely or continue to grow and move on.. or whatever have you..

Honestly,... I would like to know who you are to make such judgements about a fallen community and what would youlike see done to remedy the situation whether it be cut your losses and extingush them completely or continue to grow and move on.. or whatever have you..

so, you're admitting are you, that once the hurricane hit, anarchy broke out? I'm not making a comment on what to do after... all i commented on was how a lot of people acted in the couple of weeks immediately after. Personally, i couldn't give a toss what happens now, it doesn't effect me at all.

yep, I admit it.... anarchy would be closet to it. you expected something civilized?, what happens next is what happens next...

Like I said, I dont give a toss. Your wanker commander in chief will manage to fuck it up anyways.