dixieskydiver

Mormon Republican Candidate for Prez 2008?

I am afraid. Very, very afraid.

http://www.nationalreview.com/miller/miller200512141539.asp

Did I mention they believe Jesus came to North & South America after he resurrected and tried to preach to the Native Americans? Supposedly when they rejected him their civilizations were destroyed and they were cast down as barbarians. I won't claim to have read the Book of Mormon but I dated a Mormon girl (pyschobitch) and that was the gist she gave me. Also they are by definition a cult because their "temples" are closed to the public. Supposedly if a non-Mormon enters a temple they close it down and build a new one (these things are huge and expensive). They wear special clothes while they are inside (dressed all in white I think) and bathe in special pools. They watch simulcasts beamed out by satellite from Salt Lake City of their "Prophet". They call each other "brother" and "sister" at religious ceremonies. They are required to tithe 10% of their earnings to the church and all 18 year old males are expected to do a 2 year missionary stint somewhere with very stringent rules about conduct. As a plus they apparentally have the world's finest/fastest language program (sorry, open only to Mormons) to teach those very same missionaries. Also there is like a million other wierd things about them. Props to them for bringing back polygamy for awhile though. :)

The moral of this story is don't date Mormon girls (they don't put out) and don't vote for Mormon Presidential candidates because they'll ban caffeine and I need my Coke damnit!

Dixie
HISPA #56 Facil Rodriguez
"Scientific research has shown that 60% of the time, it works every time."

Sounds like what they said about John F. Kennedy being a Catholic.

Those papist bastards! J/k I'm atheist so I could give a shit. I understand the comparison and it's true, its just that this group is alot weirder than Catholics.

Dixie

I'm not mormon. I've never played one on TV, I've never even dated one.

But, well, while some of their beliefs appear to be weird to me, some of the lifestyle stuff is not bad at all. Different isn't always bad.

Family Home Evening -- you spend one evening at home each week, doing family stuff (including fun) with the family. That's a pretty good idea. The whole missionary thing is good too -- it's kind of like being a mostly-adult, with support. The folks I know who did a missionary year loved it, they said it helped them to grow up.

And if they want to bathe in special pools or wear garments -- more power to them. Heck, I symbolically drink blood and eat flesh periodically. We wear ceremonial garb for weddings, and I dress weird on some Saturdays and Sundays when I ascend into the sky.

A few years ago a mormon missionary was kidnapped in Russia, and then released after about 3 months. The joke among the local mormons at work was that the kidnappers had finally gotten sick of hearing the First Lesson :P.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Yes, yes, if only their religion had something we could -all- believe in like talking serpents, bushes and magical walking sticks. Let's throw in a virgin birth, turning wather into wine, feeding thousands of people with a couple of loafs of bread and a couple of fish and some vision of the end of the world.

Yes, that -would- be more belivable and make more sense.

Forget it. At a certain point almost every religion can be held up to ridicule by the outsiders. If you think your religion is different, then please tell me what it is and I'll prove it to you.

As for Morman girls not putting out . . . uh . . . something in my past tells me you're -quite- wrong about that. -QUITE- wrong.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I am afraid. Very, very afraid.

... don't vote for Mormon Presidential candidates because they'll ban caffeine and I need my Coke damnit!

Don't be scared.

Just as Tricky-Dicky Nixon's presidency ushered in a succession of obviously HONEST US Presidents... Perhaps Dubya's presidency will usher in a succession of INTELLIGENT US Presidents with this guy being the first.

I'd vote for him!

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

::tear:: I'm so proud of you all, noone in SC took the bait. It's the beginning of a new era. Maybe soon they will re-merge SC with Bonfire and we can all live happily after ever.

Oh, and you don't have to point out the more ludicrous beliefs/practices of other world religions to me, I heartily agree that most of them are ridiculous.

I'm not saying I didn't get my Mormon girl to put out either, in fact if you get the right one the old "preacher's daughter" proverb holds well. But there seem to be alot more of the other kind.

Dixie

Also they are by definition a cult because their "temples" are closed to the public.

No… They’re considered a cult because of the following:

Why is Mormonism a non Christian cult? Because it adds works to salvation. It denies that Jesus is the uncreated creator. It alters the biblical teaching of the atonement. It contradicts the Christian teaching of monotheism. It undermines the authority and reliability of the Bible.

In other words, it does not follow the basic tenants of Christianity.

Is Mormonism Christian?

Guess Buddhists are a cult too since they do "not follow the basic tenants of Christianity"

Hmm by your definition there are Cults everywhere!!

No.... They're Buddhists. Hindus are Hindus. Muslims are Muslims. Mormons, however, claim to be Christian (so do Jehovah's Witnesses) but do not follow the basic tenants of Christianity. They are a non-Christian cult.

I interviewed for a job near Odgen Utah.

On the drive to the factory, my host pointed out a farm where one guy had painted his silos into Budweiser Cans. He noted the farmer wasn't Mormon and was pissed about the whole culture.

I was directly asked during a few of my interviews if I was LDS.

This was a major company.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Ok

as for the Jehovah's Witnesses, I grew up in that religion my mother is one and I know first hand just how screwed up Jehovah's Witnesses are. Labeling them as a cult is fully understandable.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying they're bad people. I'm attacking the belief system. Not the person.

Yeah I understand. But they are driven by their ideology. They are mostly good people just caught up in a very strict and often uncaring belief. They teach a very seperatist philosophy. Where just associating with anyone not a Jehovah's Witness is considered wrong. Many of them take their "No part of the world" philosophy too far.

My sister teaches her kids that anyone who celebrates any of the holidays that JW's are against are bad people. I think that is a very wrong thing to teach kids, but that is a common belief among JW's.

Also they are by definition a cult because their "temples" are closed to the public.

No… They’re considered a cult because of the following:

Why is Mormonism a non Christian cult? Because it adds works to salvation. It denies that Jesus is the uncreated creator. It alters the biblical teaching of the atonement. It contradicts the Christian teaching of monotheism. It undermines the authority and reliability of the Bible.

In other words, it does not follow the basic tenants of Christianity.

Is Mormonism Christian?

The word cult is not necesarily bound to Christianity alone. Some of the earliest examples are taken from Christianity. A modern definition of a cult is as follows:

"In religion and sociology, a cult is a group of people (often a new religious movement) devoted to beliefs and goals which may be contradictory to those held by the majority of society. Its marginal status may come about either due to its novel belief system or due to idiosyncratic practices that cause the surrounding culture to regard it as far outside the mainstream.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult"

From Wikipedia.

I was once told by a Mormon that the reason they were regarded as a cult by dictionary definition is because some of their religious ceremonies are closed to outsiders. Having now searched some online definitions I don't know where the person got that information.

Dixie