JohnnyW

Tandem reserves

But what actually happens in real life?

UPT says they can't "endorse" any other canopy. But there is the usual rigger discretion in mixing and matching. And we've had Precision posting just last year on dz.com about packing their reserve into a Sigma. It was done right at UPT ... although it was being called the Relative Workshop in the video so is quite ancient.

Mixing tandem components, even mains, has been a debated issue in the past. In any case it is probably best to stick with the VR360 reserves...

My first recommendation is Precision 350 reserves and my second recommendation is PD360.

Originally, Tandem Vectors were only supplied with Pioneer Hi-Lifter 370 reserves.
When Pioneer left the skydiving business, Vectors switched to PD360 reserves and that has been the written standard ever since. UPT is reluctant to approve any other reserve for two reasons: technical and legal.
Technically, UPT does not want the expense of drop-testing another reserve design. They also want to discourage cheapskate DZOs from packing tiny, solo reserves (e.g. Micro Ravens) into tandems.

Legally, UPT and Strong are both tired of lawsuits involving accidents that they were not directly involved in, or when users blatantly ignored manuals.

Originally, Strong only approved Master 425 reserves. Recently, Strong approved their SET366 reserve after a few million jumps as mains plus the usually reserve drop-tests.
I Have jumped: Hi-Lifter 370, PD360, Strong 425 and Parachutes de France reserve canopies back when they were fashionable as mains. More recently I have packed Angelfire, Precision and Next reserves. I recently told a Canadian DZO that I would cheerfully remove his Next reserves from worn-out Next containers and pack them into Sigmas. These Next reserves have few jumps and are still in like-new condition.

The VTC-2R/VR360 is a good reserve and it packs nicely into the sigma. We have a mix of those and the precisions already mentioned. On a technical sense, there is no incompatibility with respect to line length. (Although I prefer the precision lines for packing). Untreated dacron is soooo bulky.

If I had to buy new equipment I'd specify the UPT reserve. In the big scope of things if a couple hundred $$$ either way makes a big enough difference there are bigger problems looming.

-Michael