Sen.Blutarsky

Europe: Does Turkey Share Your Democratic Values?

Welcome future member state, just remember to check your speech at the border ...

November 18, 2005

Publisher Sued Over Book Critical of Turkish State
By SEBNEM ARSU

ISTANBUL, Nov. 18 - A Turkish book publisher said today that the government was suing it for distributing a translated book critical of the Turkish identity, army, state and the founder of the republic, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk.

The head of Aram Publishing, Fatih Tas, could face three years in jail for issuing the book, "Spoils of War: The Human Cost of America's Arms Trade," by John Tirman, which focuses on Turkey. It was published in the United States in 1997.

Prosecutors contended that the book humiliated Turkish institutions by including the testimony of people who were subjected to human rights violations by the security forces during heavy fighting with the Kurdish Worker's Party, or P.K.K., in the country's southeastern region in the 1990's.

Prosecutors also took offense at the book for saying that the founder of modern Turkey adopted a nationalism that was "a version of fascism."

The case against Mr. Tas came as a surprise, although he has been sued many times in the past, because the Turkish government has reformed its penal code to favor further freedom of expression in order to qualify for membership in the European Union.

Lawsuits still crop up, however, involving issues like Kurdish rights or state unity, topics that remain sensitive in the eyes of the judiciary.

"The law is unlawfully open to interpretation," Mr. Tas said. "I'm accused of insulting the Turkish identity but the limits of what should be defined as an insult or criticism or scientific analysis are not mentioned in the law."

Several other intellectuals and writers, including the acclaimed novelist Orhan Pamuk, face similar charges, which raise concerns among the members of the European Union about how well Turkey can adapt to the standards of democracy in Europe.

"It's an outrage," said Dr. Sahin Alpay, a political scientist from Bahceshir University. "Nonviolent expression of opinion cannot be considered a crime in the new penal code, but it seems that it would take a quite long time for the authorities to adopt to these changes."

Government officials acknowledge shortcomings in adopting the legal reforms but take an optimist stand in the face of severe criticism from mainly European countries.

"I'll continue to do what I think serves democracy in Turkey and believe that Turkey will attain much better days in future," Mr. Tas said.

Trials of Mr. Tas and Mr. Pamuk are both scheduled for December. The novelist is charged with insulting the state in his comments - appearing in a Swiss newspaper in 2005 - about the Turkish massacre of ethnic Armenians in the last century.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/18/international/europe/18cnd-turkey.html

"If you're not for us, you're against us". King George.

Kallend appears to be familiar with the applicable meaning of this term, I bet the other Europeans will soon be gaining an appreciation for it as well:

“lowest common denominator”

The smallest number that can be divided evenly into two other numbers (see common denominator). When fractions with different denominators are added together, their denominators have to be made the same; thus, fractions with denominators of nine and twelve have thirty-six as a lowest common denominator. Seventy-two and 108 are also common denominators for fractions with denominators of nine and twelve, but thirty-six is the lowest.

The term lowest common denominator is often used to indicate a lowering of quality resulting from a desire to find common ground for many people: “This fall's TV programming finds the lowest common denominator of taste.”

Source: http://www.answers.com/topic/least-common-denominator

Blutarsky 2008. No Prisoners!

Nope, they don't. There's a lot of standard-rising done before Turkey as a nation is ready to join the EU. Turks as a people - I like 'em a lot. Really cool friendly people as long as you're on the good side. Not so friendly if you're not though and it carries over in their political processes and structure.

That doesn't stop US and EU leaders from force feeding it down our throats however.

The EU is one big nest of corruption, nepotism, a real old school Old Boys network where politicians can squander or money away subsidizing farmers because they are "special", screwing the third world in the process.

There's low transparency and the democratic process is out of tune with the population. We vote for our leaders based on national matters for the most part - and get all the EU stuff attached with it.

I used to be pro EU, back when I was a little idealist. Lately, I've begun to see it as nothing more than a massive bureaucracy put in place to primarily let leaders wield more power and steal more money from the population.

People wanting power shouldn't run nation states and above. Fuck 'em all.