skyhigh57

Skydivers and Morality: A Practical Discourse

no rich they just threw people into a helicopter and told them to start from the dz and go out 50 miles.... yea Im being sarcastic, but I figure its okay , you are the only one who would have done it right, please pm your number to every DZO so when they have a incident they can call for advice so they dont fuck it up.

And while we are at it, email the cops to since they fucked up as well.

and if you want a list of all those at the party so you can chastise them in pms,
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

the rescue team... All they wanted was the videos from the jump so that they could try and get a better perspective on where to look FROM THE HELICOPTER!!!!!

Did anyone give them input on the jump run and exit point that were used so that they could precisely determine the most likely place to start looking?

Okay, I'm not done, after all.

WTF?!

Do you have any idea what goes on at a dropzone after an incident?

Yeah, it's true, the jumpers keep jumping, but unless they're witnesses, there's nothing else for them to do, unless they go home.

The police treat every incident as a potential homicide. It's standard practice. They collect all relevant information from everyone who has any involvement and they interview everyone who saw anything at all. (And believe me, I've never known a skydiver who could keep his/her mouth shut even if what s/he saw was no more than a flash from the corner of his/her eye.) The pilot is never left out of this process, trust me.

It ain't rocket science, but being coherent in this post is a real challenge, because I'm so boggled by the assumptions you seem to be making in your efforts to crucify more than 300 people for doing something entirely normal and expected under all the circumstances previously outlined.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

As a professional firefighter/paramedic, it would be highly unlikely that a group of untrained civilians who are associated with the incident would be allowed to participate in the body recovery.

Yet at the first WFFC in Rantoul the local police and coroner's office specifically requested volunteers from the attendees at the convention to help search!

Guess it depends on the situation and local authorities...

Blue skies,

Jim

Did anyone give them input on the jump run and exit point that were used so that they could precisely determine the most likely place to start looking?

Okay, I'm not done, after all.

WTF?!

Do you have any idea what goes on at a dropzone after an incident?

Yeah, it's true, the jumpers keep jumping, but unless they're witnesses, there's nothing else for them to do, unless they go home.

The police treat every incident as a potential homicide. It's standard practice. They collect all relevant information from everyone who has any involvement and they interview everyone who saw anything at all. (And believe me, I've never known a skydiver who could keep his/her mouth shut even if what s/he saw was no more than a flash from the corner of his/her eye.) The pilot is never left out of this process, trust me.

It ain't rocket science, but being coherent in this post is a real challenge, because I'm so boggled by the assumptions you seem to be making in your efforts to crucify more than 300 people for doing something entirely normal and expected under all the circumstances previously outlined.l

I just asked a simple question. Calm down ladies.

>He would be devastated by the apparent indifference which a 300 person party would show him...

OK, a little story.

The second dead skydiver I ever saw was John O'Hara, a very good friend of mine. I did CPR on him for about 15 minutes, but his face and neck were crushed, and it was tough going. But I was doing OK, because I had a script to follow. Five compressions, one breath, hold his neck closed. And as anyone who has done CPR for real knows, it's hard, and it took most of my concentration (and strength.) I had little time left to think about what had just happened.

Then they took him away, and I realized he wasn't going to make it. And I found out that another friend of mine lost his leg on the same jump, and some other people were looking for his leg. I didn't want to; I didn't think I could handle finding a leg after seeing John's face. I had sort of reached my limit.

So I wandered into the hangar. I threw my altimeter at the wall and it shattered. Everyone sort of stared at me. They didn't know what to make of me, and I sure didn't know what to do.

So I took a shower. And I watched John's blood swirl down the drain. Afterwards I don't really remember what I did, but from what my friends told me later I walked around a lot, not answering people when they asked me if I was OK.

Thank god Jenny was there. She saw me wandering around, asked someone else what was going on, then took my arm and dragged me out to a restaraunt with a bunch of her friends. Some of my friends came along too; we ended up as a raucous group of about 40 people. And they forced me to start processing stuff again. It didn't fix anything, but it let me start dealing with it.

So I don't know anything about what happened at this place, or who was there. But if there was anyone there like me, I hope there was someone like Jenny there to drag them out of themselves and into a party.

OK, a little story.

When this thread started, the first thing I remembered was the original version of this story. I was wondering if/hoping that you'd post it.

It helped me a lot once when I had to make it through a similar situation.

Thanks, bill.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

And I found out that another friend of mine lost his leg on the same jump

how do you lose a leg on a jump? did he look down and think "oh deary me, i appear to have misplaced my leg and don't seem to be able to remember where abouts i have left it" ?

how do you lose a leg on a jump? did he look down and think "oh deary me, i appear to have misplaced my leg and don't seem to be able to remember where abouts i have left it" ?

Think just a bit for a little while, don't you think that going at least at 120mph, something could go wrong on your jump?[:/]

Ahh, surprise, one just has to look at your jump numbers.....

Remember what I said: Your posts mostly are ugly. Somehow.

no they're not, they are posts that others are making, yet you have a go at me because you're not prepared to take the humour from a "newbie"

I've just been pm'd and at the end of the pm was asked if anybody hangs out with me after jumping has finished.... yeah, i stand at the bar and have a drink with quite a few regulars and instructors... and beleive me, the comments/jokes/humour are ALOT worse than the stuff i come out with sometimes :o:o:o

Ian,

You have a knack for...everything that goes beyond inappropriate. It's not that your humor is childish...it's something I can't quite put my finger on, but it seems you need to be hurtful and mean to continue to exist in the world.

You may fancy yourself clever and witty, but "just kidding" is not an excuse for being evil and for poking at someone's pain.

Just because you haven't done anything to handle your own grief appropriately (thereby acting it out in all the worst ways), doesn't mean we should have to handle you.

I'm sorry for your loss, but it doesn't excuse your callousness.

Get help.

rl

the rescue team... All they wanted was the videos from the jump so that they could try and get a better perspective on where to look FROM THE HELICOPTER!!!!!

Yes, like I said before everyone that had something to do with this that had video showed it to the rescue team....
*** That what does not kill me only makes me stronger and that what makes me stronger only feeds my hunger ***

>i see personal attacks are now allowed in this section

Rhonda said your comments were disgusting, which they were. You do not get to post crap and then have comments about that crap removed because they offend you. If it bothers you, don't post crap (or don't post here at all.)

i see personal attacks are now allowed in this section.... oh, thats right, they're allowed if its regulars and they're angry, how silly of me

at least lisamariewillbe had the good sense to remove her attack

I do not see any personal attack around here.
I just see your special way of making friends here. [:/]

dudeist skydiver # 3105

I just see your special way of making friends here.

i can't help being a window licker, i blame my mum for getting pregnant at such a late age

You blame your mum for dying, so you take it out on everyone around you.

As I said, Ian, I'm sorry for your loss, but what you're doing is wrong. No one here is pissing on your sorrow. I'm telling you it's time to reciprocate.

Now.

rl