EricTheRed

Joy ride!

I almost want to laugh at the story. I'd like to read more about the witness accounts. They were probably just sitting there, waiting for their charter pilot... :S ...now they're in Georgia. :ph34r:
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Unfortunately this joker did general aviation no good at all. Expect to hear calls from Congress real soon for additional (and costly) security measures for planes. Jump planes won't be excluded.

The Citation has no ignition key, as such. Once inside, anyone can start it and the door locks are not exactly Fort Knox.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

This may be a first, but I agree with you completely. The guy did no good to GA. I was remarking more on just how weird the experience must have been.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Unfortunately this joker did general aviation no good at all.

Try to focus on the positives...if you can't fly your plane anymore, think of all the fuel you'll save. :ph34r:

FallRate

Not as much as you might imagine. In fact, if I had a typical SUV, driving it on the highway would use more fuel than the plane does. I won't compare city mileage 'cos those wings get in the way when driving through downtown Chicago, and pedestrians make such a mess of the prop.

Unfortunately this joker did general aviation no good at all.

Try to focus on the positives...if you can't fly your plane anymore, think of all the fuel you'll save. :ph34r:

FallRate

Not as much as you might imagine. In fact, if I had a typical SUV, driving it on the highway would use more fuel than the plane does. I won't compare city mileage 'cos those wings get in the way when driving through downtown Chicago, and pedestrians make such a mess of the prop.

lol! :D

-the artist formerly known as sinker

Not as much as you might imagine.

No worries, I have a conservative imagination. :D

In fact, if I had a typical SUV, driving it on the highway would use more fuel than the plane does.

Really? Well, let's compare. You let me know how many gallons your Mooney (?) burns on a typical commute (and this means all fuel burned...from prop start to mags off...including the fuel burned to get your to and from the airport) and we'll compare that to a typical SUV driving straight through. We'll also compare both to utilizing available mass transit and a compact, fuel-efficient vehicle.

FallRate

Not as much as you might imagine.

No worries, I have a conservative imagination. :D

In fact, if I had a typical SUV, driving it on the highway would use more fuel than the plane does.

Really? Well, let's compare. You let me know how many gallons your Mooney (?) burns on a typical commute (and this means all fuel burned...from prop start to mags off...including the fuel burned to get your to and from the airport) and we'll compare that to a typical SUV driving straight through. We'll also compare both to utilizing available mass transit and a compact, fuel-efficient vehicle.

FallRate

Pay attention!
Apparently you missed (and snipped without reading) where I wrote that I don't commute in a plane. I have a compact, fuel efficient vehicle and mass transit for commuting.

Insert "trip" where I placed "commute", then answer the question. :P

FallRate

I answered you the first time. Why should I keep on doing your homework because you ask the wrong questions. If you want to make a point, do your own research.:P

>We need to know exactly how much your plane burns to judge it
>against an SUV.

A Mooney gets about 20mpg cruising at 220mph. A Long-EZ gets over 60mpg.

The Mooney will additionally see mileage savings unless the pilot flies "IFR".

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

You didn't answer. We need to know exactly how much your plane burns to judge it against an SUV.

FallRate

How many mpg does you car get when going at 200mph? Have to compare like with like; after all, I save on motels because I can easily go 1500 miles in one day (and do).

How many mpg does you car get when going at 200mph?

I don't know...but my car gets about 44 mpg on the highway and very little less in town. My guess is if you plan a trip, not crossing large bodies of water, I'll use less fuel. Does that mean that I'm allowed to look down on you now? :D

Have to compare like with like; after all, I save on motels because I can easily go 1500 miles in one day (and do).

Actually, I am comparing like with like. Ignoring the speed you travel at is not out of bounds. We are looking at the amount of fuel you burn in your airplane when compared with an SUV. Speed is an advantage but does not justify greater waste of fuel.

And...I can go 1500 miles without utilizing motels. I find rest stops to be quite comfy...a lot like camping. Although I often wonder why so often some guy will come by, knock on my window, and say: "Hey? You lookin' for a catcher?" :| Baseball? In the middle of the night? It just seems odd.

FallRate

>Actually, I am comparing like with like. Ignoring the speed you
>travel at is not out of bounds.

I think ignoring speed and distance is sort of silly. I bike to work; does that mean I'm better than you? Why don't you bike to work? I suspect the answer might be "it would take too long" or "it's too far." In other words, you choose your (possibly wasteful) transportation based on distance and speed.

Likewise, I will often fly across the country instead of drive. When I fly on a full 757 I get the equivalent of about 70mpg, but when I fly on a 727 I get more like 20mpg. Is that better than my 50mpg car? Depends.

I bike to work; does that mean I'm better than you?

Only if you can beat me. I currently live across the street from a bike path which takes me six of the seven miles I need to travel to get to work. That last mile, on city streets, really wakes me up in the morning!

(You know what they say about assumptions, Bill? :D)

By the way...did anyone catch the rest-stop joke?
Just trying to add levity...
Maybe SC is humorless. [:/]

FallRate