rhino

Do you have ANY type of emergency plan for your family?

Last year, the power went out for a couple of weeks here in Michigan. People were backed up at gas stations for hours, getting fuel, ice, water, food.. The dependancy people have on modern things became painfully apparent.

Since then I took the liberty of looking into the power grids, what is effected by what and how. Turns out my in-laws living 100 miles north of us are (still in Mi.) but on a grid that was not effected by the last blackout. So we have a plan for our family.

1. PLENTY of water in the basement.
2. PLENTY of food (enough to survive winter)
3. Antibiotic ointment and basic medicines (first aid kits)
4. Seeds of all sorts (you never know)
5. 5x5 gallon gas cans filled in the garage
6. Storage bins for both cars
7. Never have less gas in either cars than it takes to get home
8. High Powered rifle with plenty of ammo complete with Ghillie suit :P
9. Primary and Secondary meeting areas if we get separated from each other in a major emergency type of situation.
10. Battery/rechargable wind up short wave, am/fm waterproof radio.

These are some basic precautions that we have taken in case of emergency. If the power goes out in the middle of winter what will you do?

What will you do?

If you don't think it's going to happen again you are simply in denial. If you depend on the government to take care of you... Your in for it.

Create a basic emergency plan for you and your family. Having and knowing how to use a compass is invaluable. Knowing Land Navigation is invaluable. GPS is nice providing GPS systems still work. Cell phones won't work in a major emergency. Everyone and their mother will have the 2 mile range hand helds so that won't work..

LOL, I personally have in my basement

1) Plenty of food & water, MRE's and such.
2) CBR tents, for me and my 5 yo daughter, CBR suits, masks (for both), CBR contamination test kits and decon kits as well.
3) Gas tanks
4) An electrical Generator, bateries of many sizes, and flash lights, and candles.
5) A Safe with personal effects, clothes packed in those vaccuumed plastic containers, pillows, blankets.
6) Plenty of camping gear
7) First aid, IV's, field surgical kits, a medic bag fully loaded, Quick Clot packs, oxgyen masks and tanks (2). (I'm a medic in the Army)....

8) I do have short wave radios, and also a smal am/fm radio
9) Rifles, well I got 3, including a shotgun, 4 pistols and ammo by the case on each type :D. I probably need to get more .45 ACP ammo since that is what I use most.

A comment about the seeds, is that for you to plant or eat?
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

The most likely emergency on the Texas gulf coast is a hurricane. Far and away. So I have a couple of battery-powered radios, plenty of duct tape, bleach, some water and bottles (and two bathtubs), and telephones that don't require power to work (if you lose power but not phone service, better hope your phones aren't all cordless).

Some food, bicycles for transportation if needed. I got rid of the plywood for the windows because it was collecting spiders, and I'm more scared of spiders than of hurricanes.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The most likely emergency on the Texas gulf coast is a hurricane.

Most people think this way. So did I until the power outage.

You need to prepare like so many others. Don't get caught with your pants down (unless you are having a good time) ;):$

Our biggest threats here are power outage and earthquake.

Here's my plan for my family:

1. Make good friends with all the neighbors. Hey, you'll be depending on these people, and they'll have provisions.
2. Build a collection of tools for use at home and with neighbors.
3. Adequate chlorine supply - I've got enough water in my pool to last a while for me and the neighbors.
4. Spare can of liquid propane - the barbecue might be our sole method of heating and food prep, and I just love grilling.
5. Spare cash on hand
6. Baby formula
7. We've got a couple of gallons of hand soap, dish soap, and dishwasher detergent. Keeping clean is important.
8. Shotgun - why have a rifle? Shotguns are better for home protection. You can also kill dinner pretty easily with them.

Plan to get:
1. Generator or solar power unit

I've got a great neighborhood, and I'm getting friendly with everyone except the pervert peeping tom on my south side fence.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

My power was out for over 24 hours last winter, and I didn't even notice until my brother stopped by to check on me.

I guess if you live in an area with harsh winters, a power outage would be a much bigger deal. Most of the time, it's hard to freeze to death in southern california, so my emergency preparedness pretty much just consists of food, water, first aid stuff and medication, and light sources. I always try to keep enough gas in my car to get to my parents' place, because they're a lot better stocked than I am because they own a house and have more room to store stuff like that, and in that kind of situation, I'd probably want to be over there anyway.

Just wondering, why not save all the time money and effort it takes to accumulate all that, just keep some spare gas and if it goes out again, drive somewhere warmer with lots of electricity and stay in a hotel?

After all, if the power is out, chances are work and school will be shut, right? You could even make a holiday trip of it.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Have done many of the same things as you. I would like to add that one of the meeting places should be out of the country. That way, if the scenario is the s**t hitting the fan big-time here (multiple targets a la 9/11 but on a grander scale, martial law, etc.), there is an agreed-upon place to go elsewhere (yes, I know, assuming the border is open going outbound).
"You guys should just do CRW. There are so many more ways to get killed, it makes a CYPRES seem safe." -Kevin Keenan

Have done many of the same things as you. I would like to add that one of the meeting places should be out of the country. That way, if the scenario is the s**t hitting the fan big-time here (multiple targets a la 9/11 but on a grander scale, martial law, etc.), there is an agreed-upon place to go elsewhere (yes, I know, assuming the border is open going outbound).

would you not be best to perhaps have a meeting place on another planet, incase the sh*t hitting the fan goes global, "a la" 9/11 x 1 million.. B|

Guys, get off the weed, its making you paranoid....
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+