WrongWay

God is dead. (warning: rant)

I haven't read the whole thread. Just wanna contribute a few quotes (edited for readability by myself) of a movie I think is a must see... Fight Club!

I found that to be one of the strongest and most enlightening scenes I've ever seen in a movie.

I am Nietzsche's Ubermensch.

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.

I'd recommend CS Lewis book Mere Christianity. Very readable & lucid description of why Christians believe what they do.

Excellent book!

Ok I haven't read the book, so i did some research and read a bunch of reviews. to quote a few...

[sic]It didn't surprise me that Lewis failed to make a logical case for Christianity since most Christian claims and Christian principles simply defy logic and can only be accepted on faith.

[sic]He complains that the Christianity many people reject is the Christianity of six-year-olds. Unfortunately, this is precisely the level of faith of an awful lot of Christians; and I am not convinced that Lewis's faith carries believers beyond adolescence.

[sic]Cotton candy apologetics - engaging and conversational but shallow.

[sic]I do not mean to suggest that Lewis himself was unintelligent. The sections on Christian morality and theology do show evidence of rational consideration and careful reflection; the problem, as it seems to me, is that although he has clearly put a lot of thought into what it would mean for Christianity to be true, he has not invested comparable intellectual effort into arguing that Christianity is indeed true. Instead, he largely takes this for granted

I therefore reccomend this more accurate Excellent Book
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

Ok I haven't read the book, so i did some research and read a bunch of reviews. to quote a few...

I'm sure you could pull up a handful of negative reviews on just about anything in the world including a completely accurate book on "how to win a million dollars."

I'd really suggest you read it for yourself, though. It's a good book. I think you'll find that it isn't an easy read and requires some concentration and deep thought.

Here's what Amazon.com had to say about it:

"Amazon.com
In 1943 Great Britain, when hope and the moral fabric of society were threatened by the relentless inhumanity of global war, an Oxford don was invited to give a series of radio lectures addressing the central issues of Christianity. Over half a century after the original lectures, the topic retains it urgency. Expanded into book form, Mere Christianity never flinches as it sets out a rational basis for Christianity and builds an edifice of compassionate morality atop this foundation. As Mr. Lewis clearly demonstrates, Christianity is not a religion of flitting angels and blind faith, but of free will, an innate sense of justice and the grace of God."

when i get home, i'll dig out the joint critique i helped write in college... but essentially his supposed 'rational analysis' starts off with an unprovable assumptions he simply never addresses..

it rather undermines the principle of 'rationality'

even if you make 'rational observations and decisions' afterwards, if you begin with a 'Oeija board' as a basis what you are doing is no longer 'rational'

you cant start a logical proposition from the position "Dragon's exist therefore..."

I'm really interested in your observations about C.S. Lewis' "unproveable assumption" that he begins his book with, so do expand on that when you can get to your college paper tonight, ok? :)
Blue skies & happy jitters ~Mockingbird
"Why is there something rather than nothing?"

I'm sure you could pull up a handful of negative reviews on just about anything in the world including a completely accurate book on "how to win a million dollars."

Paj, I’m sure you’re right…

However what I found was I was that nearly every Christian site that reviewed this book gave it great review, funny that isn’t it… however ever impartial site would find this book no more then a work of fiction.

Here's what Amazon.com had to say about it:

"Amazon.com
In 1943 Great Britain, when hope and the moral fabric of society were threatened by the relentless inhumanity of global war, an Oxford don was invited to give a series of radio lectures addressing the central issues of Christianity. Over half a century after the original lectures, the topic retains it urgency. Expanded into book form, Mere Christianity never flinches as it sets out a rational basis for Christianity and builds an edifice of compassionate morality atop this foundation. As Mr. Lewis clearly demonstrates, Christianity is not a religion of flitting angels and blind faith, but of free will, an innate sense of justice and the grace of God."

Now let’s not forget that Amazon is out there to sell books, so it is unlikely they will post a scathing review….

I'd really suggest you read it for yourself, though. It's a good book. I think you'll find that it isn't an easy read and requires some concentration and deep thought.

Didn’t you mean to say “requires some imagination and wishful thinking” ??
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

I guess you'll never know. [:/]

What will I never know Paj???? explain .....