jrodrod

L&B alti / audible

Recently got a Viso and Quattro. I'll share the shopping and noob user experience for those who might also be shopping around.

My other consideration was the N3/Atlas for the purposes of a wrist and audible. They seemed better spec'ed, larger screen, USB charging instead of batteries, more data with export capability to PC's, but cost ~$100 more.

Main factors when I bought were price, general consensus on support and reliability.

Regarding the UI: when searching around I saw a mix of comments ranging from "L&B is hard to use" opposed by "it's not that bad". While I now agree more with the former comment, I'll try to add some reference points:

I don't know how long L&B has been around but the UI feels like an 80's to early 90's alarm clock. The type that has you holding down 1 button to cycle through an entire 365 days to select date. Ditto with time, one button to run up the minutes to reach 24 hours instead of selecting minute and hour separately.

The "Access" sequence is like a password to prevent accidental changes so no issues with that.

I spent over an hour going through the manual (that I had to print myself) to understand the UI and I will need to consult it again to tweak. Haven't actually messed with an Atlas but I'm told that you can figure it out without a manual. In the age of smartphones, that's expected of UI's, especially on the Viso, where you might be using the UI after every trip to see the log.

Sure, UI is a relatively trivial topic compared to the function it serves of altimetering but it may be the biggest surprise for people who's used to smartphone/smartwatches or who never played with VCR's. In other words, the biggest room for improvement. As altis, they get the job done.

I have a personal preference for new vs used electronics but in this case, 2 used N3/Atlases are worth considering. The ability to upload your own sounds would be nice so you can hear the actual altitude or a command instead of beeps. If money is not a factor, perhaps 2 new Atlases.

Someone needs to come out with a Bluetooth version so you can change settings and see data from a phone though. And earbuds with full volume control. I have several layers of duct tape over the Quattro's speaker to prolong my time without hearing aids.

jrodrod

I'm good buddies with ear plugs, will get some for jumpin.

Mind if I ask what happened with the unprotected tunnel flying?

I would expect that the problem with the tunnel is that it is LOUD. Even motorcycle riding at freeway speeds is enough to do permanent damage. Tinnitus really is no fun.

Check out this link to a thread I started about good earplugs that I've been using for over 5 years:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4083263#4083263
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Forgot to add, turning the Viso off is like entering cheat codes back in the days of 7-Eleven arcades, except with the addition of delays in the middle. The manual says to turn it off before going on a flight. Good luck doing it while in a hurry without crushing the thing.

I could go on but I think the picture is painted.

sundevil777

I would expect that the problem with the tunnel is that it is LOUD.

Yes, I was basically asking why he didn't wear plugs. I use the EP-5 or 7 at the range, good stuff. Will probably just use a disposable (should be renamed reusable) to combat the audible and leave the other ear free.

I don't know how it happened really. I was a noob, only done two minutes of first-flight at airkix (ifly) where they just hold you and you don't do shit. Forgot you need plugs, no one told me (I was flying at Bodyflight with an external tunnel coach). No doubt blasting a podcast at dangerous levels in my car to compensate for my new (temporary) deafness didn't help.

jrodrod

I spent over an hour going through the manual (that I had to print myself) to understand the UI and I will need to consult it again to tweak. Haven't actually messed with an Atlas but I'm told that you can figure it out without a manual. In the age of smartphones, that's expected of UI's, especially on the Viso, where you might be using the UI after every trip to see the log.

Sure, UI is a relatively trivial topic compared to the function it serves of altimetering but it may be the biggest surprise for people who's used to smartphone/smartwatches or who never played with VCR's. In other words, the biggest room for improvement. As altis, they get the job done.

I have the Atlas for my wrist mount, and got a Quattro for my audible, and I really don't like the Quattro. The Atlas is super easy, go here for the menu, one push to advance, long hold to go back. So I agree with the UI comment wholeheartedly. No reason why Quattro's couldn't be more user-friendly. I had to read the user manual to know how to operate the Quattro, and need it on hand in case I want to change settings. I don't need that with the Atlas. I'm a n00b, I want my mental energy directed towards planning my dive, not figuring out my gear.

DHemer

Volume is adjustable on the quattro, turn it down if it is too loud

Personally I like wearing ear plugs because plane and freefall noise will damage hearing over time.

What kind of helmet are you using? The ear coverage isn't enough without earplugs?

I've settled on Volume 1 with some tape, good enough without earplugs.