JohnRich

Anti-Gun Forces Lose Again

He shot off a bunch of rounds and only hit one person? Musta been an AK.

I heard that one was shot in the leg, and another in the hand. Gosh, and I thought these fast-shootin' powerful "assault weapons" were supposed to be deadly? The guy could have done more damage with a bolt-action rifle and actually aiming instead of spraying. I'm glad he used Hollywood shooting techniques instead of the actual unglamorous effective method.

You don't need to tell me that. I especially love the phrase "high-powered assault rifle", since "assault rifles" in general tend to be very low power compared to the hunting rifles most people shoot.
---------------------------------------------------------------
There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
--Dave Barry

Police did not identify the suspect and said earlier reports that the weapon was an AK- 47 were incorrect.

Humph. I should have known better than to believe something involving guns in the NYT.
---------------------------------------------------------------
There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
--Dave Barry

Police did not identify the suspect and said earlier reports that the weapon was an AK- 47 were incorrect.

Humph. I should have known better than to believe something involving guns in the NYT.

General rule of thumb: reporters write more and know less about guns than they do about skydving.

Second general rule: the bigger the city the paper covers, the less they're likely to know about guns.
example: the Podunk Times-Courier-Journal-Dispatch etc. knows a hell of a lot more about guns than the New York Times. (they have to because their audience does)
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Second general rule: the bigger the city the paper covers, the less they're likely to know about guns.
example: the Podunk Times-Courier-Journal-Dispatch etc. knows a hell of a lot more about guns than the New York Times. (they have to because their audience does)

So do you want a paper from Houston or from Berkeley?

(err..nevermind that example - the Berkeley paper will think its opinion on world concerns is relevent, while the Texas paper might not know where New Mexico is)

...then the forgetful man pissed into the wind...
"It's all coming back to me now!!"

:P

The UCB paper would probably know something "billvon-ish" that I didn't (gray water stuff), while the Houston paper would probably know something "AggieDave-ish" that I didn't (wildlife migration and the like).

And thus do people learn why I get my news online from a dozen papers and don't waste my time reading anything in newsprint.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I especially love the phrase "high-powered assault rifle", since "assault rifles" in general tend to be very low power compared to the hunting rifles most people shoot.

Yes, that's a standard media phrase for so-called "assault weapons". And the military definition of an assault weapon, is one that fires a medium-powered cartridge. So the phrase is incorrect. It's like calling a Volkswagan Beetle a ""high-powered sports car".

If a .223 AR-15 is a "high-powered assault rifle", then I guess a WWII M1 Garand firing the .30-06 must be a super-humongous-expiallidocious assault weapon!