Tyfighter

First Jumpsuit

Hello All,
Just received my A license about a week ago and I am looking into getting my first (RW) jumpsuit. On my previous three jumps I have been working on fall rate with a coach and he says that I "fall like a rock". Based on this, what kind of material and fit would you guys suggest? Loose fitting arms? Neoprene arms? I have been looking into LiquidSky suits and they offer two types of material, Nylon or Taslon. Does anyone know the difference in flight characteristics between these two? Which would work better for my fall rate?
Any input would be appreciated, as LiquidSky isn't the most inexpensive suit, I would like to get it right the first time.
Also this is my first post, so forgive me if any of my forum etiquette is wrong :D
Thanks,
Blue skies!

The better jumpsuit mfgs will be able to help you. Things that the suit mfgs should suggest include extra large diameter grippers, inseam and outer leg grippers that will both sit along the side of your legs (instead on following along the back of your leg), double layer arms, cordura booties, padded knees, and of course an appropriate amount of wing under the arm. They should help you decide among the various types of fabric they offer. Don't look at just the Liquid Sky brand, Tony and Bev suits are just a couple of the very well known brands you should definitely consider.

Nobody flies very well when they are near the extreme limit of their range of speed, so lose weight and get a suit that allows you to fly with others comfortably.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Honestly just keep your eyes open for a good used suit, check with other local jumpers or if you go to boogies or other DZ's you will hopefully find a suit.

I got lucky and a club member had a Tony Suit that fit me perfectly for $75. Bonus is that it has booties and swoop cords (which if you do buy a suit I'd suggest getting some, basically thumb loops attached to line to tighten material in your arm pits in case you fall low further helping you). I'd look everywhere you can, ask around: friends, club members, boogies other DZ's, but you will want to try it on in person to see how it fits. If all else fails just check FB and the forums but don't overpay for the suit some people seem to want brand new $ for a used suit. Just make sure you buy one with a similar sized and shaped person as you. You will beat up your suit anyways and scuff it up unless $ is no object of course.

Truly though in all honestly and take this with a grain of salt as I'm a fairly new jumper you really should find that neutral area in the middle before you consider buying a suit to help you because you fall too fast. Or in other words don't buy the suit to correct your falling fast problem. Fix your problem by learning to fly your body better. There are ways for bigger guys to slow down. Figure out how to fall slower get into a few belly formation jumps and see how you do and then buy the suit trust me you will be a lot happier.

I had a friend that bought a brand new suit because he tended to float on jumps so of course he bought a tight fitting suit, well you guessed now he falls below the formation :( I'd be pissed off if I bought a $400 suit and had that happen to me. Don't get too trigger happy, work on your skills keep your eyes open and buy a good used suit.

gunsmokex

I had a friend that bought a brand new suit because he tended to float on jumps so of course he bought a tight fitting suit, well you guessed now he falls below the formation :(

Your friend will be fine with some more jumps, I am confident!

Jumpsuits do change a lot, but you hopefully won't go from "so slow it's a problem" to "so fast it's a problem" unless the first suit you buy is really baggy and the second one is made entirely of Spandex.

Hang in there, friend of gunsmokex ;)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I believe that swoop cords can certainly be effective at adding drag, but they are too likely to give bad results when flying with others, so I think you will find that they are not at all popular. If I'm wrong, others certainly can correct me.

Learning how to fly slower is a great skill to learn, but is not how you want to fly with others. If your flying technique needs fixing, then of course that should be a priority before trying to add excessive drag by a jumpsuit. However, as I said before, you will fly best if you are not near the edge of your speed-capability/envelope.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Thanks for the advice. "Nobody flies very well when they are near the extreme limit of their range of speed, so lose weight and get a suit that allows you to fly with others comfortably." That is a very good point, I am weighting in at 185 so I don't think loosing weight is an option:D. Most people I jump with weight more than that, so it must be my body position. I would rather fall faster and de-arch a little to compensate for slower fall rate jumpers. I will talk to the manufacture about fabric selection, that was my main concern.

Blue skies!

Thanks for the write up. I plan on going to a boogie to check out the materials and colors in person. The only problem I have with used suits are the fit. I would rather spend some money for one perfect fitting suit then to potentially learn bad habits from a misfitting suit.
***I had a friend that bought a brand new suit because he tended to float on jumps so of course he bought a tight fitting suit, well you guessed now he falls below the formation :( I'd be pissed off if I bought a $400 suit and had that happen to me.
That's my worst fear, to buy a suit and not be able to jump it.
Blue skies!

Joellercoaster

***I had a friend that bought a brand new suit because he tended to float on jumps so of course he bought a tight fitting suit, well you guessed now he falls below the formation :(

Your friend will be fine with some more jumps, I am confident!

Jumpsuits do change a lot, but you hopefully won't go from "so slow it's a problem" to "so fast it's a problem" unless the first suit you buy is really baggy and the second one is made entirely of Spandex.

Hang in there, friend of gunsmokex ;)

Thanks man he's definitely getting better I just know he gets frustrated when he sinks. Its an amazing feeling when you don't really think anymore about staying on level you just do it and it naturally comes somehow. Its an amazing feeling! I friggin love RW!!

Headed off to my 1st 3 way competition today! Really looking forward to the experience and its in kind of a non-competitive contest so there isn't much pressure.

Good luck on finding a suit though man but I just wanted to make sure you knew that there are good $75 suits to be had out there. But it'd be a big advantage to hopefully try it on 1st.

On another side note, I don't really want to sidetrack your thread or anything but here is a video of my friend Peanut (blue and yellow suit no helmet, he's not the same guy that I was talking about) from Lost Prairie last year. I didn't get to jump much but Peanut is compact and round so he's a pretty good example possibly of your scenario as well. This video frigging rules! Gets my blood pumping every time! I'm so pumped to head back out to Lost Prairie wish all boogies were like LP but then LP wouldn't be as special. Its fun video though and worth the watch :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsreXwAemFQ

Good luck on the suit man and congrats on the A! You'll only get better from here on out!

Tyfighter

Thanks for the advice. "Nobody flies very well when they are near the extreme limit of their range of speed, so lose weight and get a suit that allows you to fly with others comfortably." That is a very good point, I am weighting in at 185 so I don't think loosing weight is an option:D. Most people I jump with weight more than that, so it must be my body position. I would rather fall faster and de-arch a little to compensate for slower fall rate jumpers. I will talk to the manufacture about fabric selection, that was my main concern.

In your first post you said that instructors said you fell like a rock, so advice has been given based on the need for extra drag - which is it? Your weight is not the deciding factor. Your weight AND your drag is what matters. A lot of things factor into the drag you create.