headoverheels

Pharmacists refuse to fill prescriptions for birth control

This Code, prepared and supported by pharmacists, is intended to state publicly the principles that form the fundamental basis of the roles and responsibilities of pharmacists. These principles, based on moral obligations and virtues, are established to guide pharmacists in relationships with patients, health professionals, and society.

----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I'm surprised that their Code of Ethics doesn't address this issue at all except maybe here

III. A pharmacist respects the autonomy and dignity of each patient.

A pharmacist promotes the right of self-determination and recognizes individual self-worth by encouraging patients to participate in decisions about their health. A pharmacist communicates with patients in terms that are understandable. In all cases, a pharmacist respects personal and cultural differences among patients.

and here

VII. A pharmacist serves individual, community, and societal needs.

The primary obligation of a pharmacist is to individual patients. However, the obligations of a pharmacist may at times extend beyond the individual to the community and society. In these situations, the pharmacist recognizes the responsibilities that accompany these obligations and acts accordingly.

I know that MDs discuss similar ethical dilemmas frequently. I'd be interested to see how much attention is paid to these issues in the profession as a whole....

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Have you been to a pharmacy lately? There is a plaque on the wall detainling how they may substitute at will any prescribed drug with a cheaper generic without notice unless you or your doctor specifically state that they may not.

Yes, they can substitute a generic equivalent. When I said substitute cheaper drugs, I didn't mean the generic version of what you are prescribed. I meant like giving you amoxicillan when your doctor prescribed a z pack.

>There ARE other pharmacists.

And if none in your area are willing to fill it, you get sick and/or die. When the stakes are that high, free enterprise often isn't applicable.

I'd have to agree that if not filling a prescription were going to be life-threatening there'd be an ethical obligation. There aren't many life-saving medications that I can imagine pharmacists having a moral opposition to though (unless we were to have an influx of Christian Scientist pharmacists).

A 21 year old woman of my acquaintance has birth control pills prescribed on account of her tendency to ovarian cysts. She has already lost one ovary to this. Who is a pharmacist to decide whether or not this medication is appropriate?

I think this pharmacist is breaking the code of ethics of the profession.

On top of this, the thing is, a pharmacist isn't there to diagnose problems. A doctor is. A pharmacist's duty is to fill prescriptions the doctor ordered. If he can't fulfill that, he should be fired.
This ad space for sale.

I'm surprised that their Code of Ethics doesn't address this issue at all except maybe here

III. A pharmacist respects the autonomy and dignity of each patient.

A pharmacist promotes the right of self-determination and recognizes individual self-worth by encouraging patients to participate in decisions about their health. A pharmacist communicates with patients in terms that are understandable. In all cases, a pharmacist respects personal and cultural differences among patients.

and here

VII. A pharmacist serves individual, community, and societal needs.

The primary obligation of a pharmacist is to individual patients. However, the obligations of a pharmacist may at times extend beyond the individual to the community and society. In these situations, the pharmacist recognizes the responsibilities that accompany these obligations and acts accordingly.

I know that MDs discuss similar ethical dilemmas frequently. I'd be interested to see how much attention is paid to these issues in the profession as a whole....

linz

Seems to me that this guy is violating sections I, II, III, IV, VI, and VII of the code of ethics, and in particular this statement:

The primary obligation of a pharmacist is to individual patients

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

And people wonder why so many Americans go to Canada and Mexico for their presciptions.

I guess the best thing about America is the ability to force your personal beliefs on someone else.

"The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few, or the one" - rehmwa

And people wonder why so many Americans go to Canada and Mexico for their presciptions.

I was just in Mexico about six weeks ago, and I didn't have to have a presciption for some of the things I got:o
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I was just in Mexico about six weeks ago, and I didn't have to have a presciption for some of the things I got:o

Neither do I. I just go to my doctor down the alley. He doesn't even charge for the diagnosis, just the medicine.
This ad space for sale.

Seems to me that this guy is violating sections I, II, III, IV, VI, and VII of the code of ethics, and in particular this statement:

The primary obligation of a pharmacist is to individual patients

Maybe so.....Ethics is a strange thing. Many professions have a written Code of Ethics, which can be interpreted so differently by individuals to whom they apply. I think I'm glad that these are not laws but guideposts of sorts. I would hope that pharmacists and other educated professional people would have enough autonomy to make judgment calls where they are not bound by laws.

Not much different from politics....lol

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail